View Poll Results: Is gerrymandering good for America

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am against gerrymandering

    11 91.67%
  • I am for gerrymandering

    1 8.33%
  • I only support gerrymandering when it benefits my political preferences

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Gerrymandering within the GOP

  1. #1
    User Csareo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-30-14 @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    72

    Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Well, I heard a lot of opinions, a lot of defenses, coupled with quite a few rants regarding gerrymandering. From what I have examined, gerrymandering is little more than "cheating" the American political system. I'm interested in presenting this question to a new community, in hopes if some justification for what many call "racist". You know, the whole effect = intention argument.

    P.S - If someone could tell me how to change my profile pic, that would be great....

  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    The SCOTUS supported gerrymandering; it was a critical part of the voting rights act. Why do you assume gerrymandering to be related to the GOP? Gerrymandering can (and does) work in two ways; to dilute or to concentrate a particular voting block.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    User Csareo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-30-14 @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    72

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The SCOTUS supported gerrymandering; it was a critical part of the voting rights act. Why do you assume gerrymandering to be related to the GOP? Gerrymandering can (and does) work in two ways; to dilute or to concentrate a particular voting block.
    Ha, mainly because gerrymandering has been overall beneficial to the GOP, and not the Democratic Party. I wish it worked for the democrats, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Democrats have been its biggest proponent, criticizing the voters right act just as much as conservatives have bashed the affordable care act. Take Michigan for example. A blue voting state, but not one blue seat in government. Well, not enough. Its been the biggest victim of gerrymandering thus far.

  4. #4
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Csareo View Post
    Ha, mainly because gerrymandering has been overall beneficial to the GOP, and not the Democratic Party. I wish it worked for the democrats, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Democrats have been its biggest proponent, criticizing the voters right act just as much as conservatives have bashed the affordable care act. Take Michigan for example. A blue voting state, but not one blue seat in government. Well, not enough. Its been the biggest victim of gerrymandering thus far.
    The bolded makes no sense. At the federal level MI has 100% (2) demorat US senators with 5 demorat US representatives and 9 republicant US representatives.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Csareo View Post
    Well, I heard a lot of opinions, a lot of defenses, coupled with quite a few rants regarding gerrymandering. From what I have examined, gerrymandering is little more than "cheating" the American political system. I'm interested in presenting this question to a new community, in hopes if some justification for what many call "racist". You know, the whole effect = intention argument.

    P.S - If someone could tell me how to change my profile pic, that would be great....
    i can guide you through the avatar stuff via PM, if you'd like.

    as for the OP, i am completely against gerrymandering by either side. i would draw districts via computer using only census data.

  6. #6
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    It would be a good start here to do a little research before posting.

    Check out the picture below of the NC 12th District. It was designed by a Democrat controlled state legislature to ensure and almost all black congressional district. It almost looks like the original gerrymandered district that had the named penned after.



    The original:


  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Really? Don't visit California much and see those congressional district lines do you?


    Quote Originally Posted by Csareo View Post
    Ha, mainly because gerrymandering has been overall beneficial to the GOP, and not the Democratic Party. I wish it worked for the democrats, but unfortunately, it doesn't. Democrats have been its biggest proponent, criticizing the voters right act just as much as conservatives have bashed the affordable care act. Take Michigan for example. A blue voting state, but not one blue seat in government. Well, not enough. Its been the biggest victim of gerrymandering thus far.

  8. #8
    User Csareo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-30-14 @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    72

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The bolded makes no sense. At the federal level MI has 100% (2) demorat US senators with 5 demorat US representatives and 9 republicant US representatives.
    Am not denying that democrats take advantage of this. Just the GOP a little more, considering the higher density of minority groups based in the south, and the historic flip of the parties north to south. Whatever the case, a "who's fault" argument is not necessary. I am more curious on the institution of gerrymandering itself.

  9. #9
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i can guide you through the avatar stuff via PM, if you'd like.

    as for the OP, i am completely against gerrymandering by either side. i would draw districts via computer using only census data.
    Which census data and how?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #10
    User Csareo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-30-14 @ 02:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    72

    Re: Gerrymandering within the GOP

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Really? Don't visit California much and see those congressional district lines do you?
    You mean northern California? I will grant you a half concession. Still a hell of a lot of republicans in the north. Would you mind supplying a map?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •