View Poll Results: Was Jesus White?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, white as a Viking, despite being an Arab!

    8 20.00%
  • Yes, because Arabs are white, too. Have you ever actually looked at a Lebanese person?

    5 12.50%
  • No, he wasn't white, because Arabs aren't white, only European are white.

    27 67.50%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 217

Thread: Was Jesus White?

  1. #161
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    I want to know why he was a Jewish male? Why not an Asian female or does that not matter?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Perhaps Jesus was an invisible pink flying spaghetti monster.

  3. #163
    Guru
    RogueWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atheist Utopia aka Reality
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    He was certainly Caucasian. Whether that translates into "white" really depends on who you ask.

    I think it can be rather safely said that he probably wasn't a dirty blonde Anglo-Saxon with pale skin and blue eyes, however.
    I don`t believe the people of Palestine around 0 CE would be considered Caucasian. It is ~2500 miles (~800 miles as the crow flies) from Sevastopol to Jerusalem.
    Everyone is born a homo sapiens sapiens but not everyone is a human. -RW
    Trumplethinskin! 4 handicap and getting better every weekend!
    Alex Jones for Press Secretary!!!!!!


  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    I don`t believe the people of Palestine around 0 CE would be considered Caucasian. It is ~2500 miles (~800 miles as the crow flies) from Sevastopol to Jerusalem.
    The "Caucasian Race" is generally held to include all peoples living in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and large portions of Central Asia, as the peoples living in all of these areas are more physically and genetically similar to one another than any other racial group.

    India is something of a special case, as they are a bit too mixed to be easily categorized.

  5. #165
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Jesus as beyond awesome. In this world all you see is people wanting revenge and hating. Jesus was divine. It is because he had transcended the material world and the bodily concept of life. He had thoroughly realized the truth that indeed he was from the Supreme, Divine, Transcendental, Almighty God.
    Maybe that is all YOU see but you cannot say what others see.

    I see only some people as you describe I see many others who are decent good people and many of them are atheists.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Maybe that is all YOU see but you cannot say what others see.

    I see only some people as you describe I see many others who are decent good people and many of them are atheists.
    Fair enough. I made my case. You have the free will to believe what you want to believe and I respect that. Thanks for the debate though. I appreciated the discussion.

  7. #167
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You cannot conclusively prove that the manuscripts that are there were not written from either the firsthand accounts of witnesses to the events or from actual written, recorded manuscripts of the events that were contemporaneously recorded with his life. And that is a fact. And because that is, in fact the case, you cannot say there is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus did, in fact exist.



    You cannot provide one example because there is no one that has been tortured in that way and then put to death that has prayed for forgiveness in such a manner. Not only that no one has lived such a life and preached such forgiveness before being tortured and put to death in such a way. It's simply is not possible except for someone who is under the influence of the divine energy of the Supreme Lord, the father of Jesus.



    It is not a false assumption because no one has been tortured and put to death in that way and then asked for forgiveness for the perpetrators. It's not possible. And again, Jesus taught that, practiced it in his life prior to that, and then demonstrated by example what is the nature of divine behavior that is inspired by genuine, transcendental realization of the almighty God. I can tell you this, if you did such things to me, I would curse you to burn in hell. And if I did that to you, you would certainly not pray for me, you would hate me, that is a fact.



    Now you are cooking with gas. Indeed that is the evidence that Jesus was divine. In particular the writings of Vyasa, such as the Vedanta Sutras and the Puranas, have elaborately elucidated on the nature of the Supreme Sentient Being, the Father from which everything is coming, the subordinate sentient beings, the material nature, i.e. maya shakti, and what are the symptoms of saintly persons. There have been many saintly self realized persons who have confirmed what Vyasa has stated. The behavior of Jesus is consistent with what is described in those writings as being of under the influence of the divine energy of the Supreme Lord. Those things were not known in that part of the world and Jesus took the practice of Judaism to the next level.



    Jesus preached in the area of Palestine which is part of Europe.
    You are wrong about many things.First of all it has in fact been proven that the earliest known copies of the gospels were written well after he died and clearly not as a first hand account. In fact the known copies were written by someone other than tha authors which they are attributed to so yes we can say and it is fact that no evidence exists of his existing.

    Once again I need not provide an example for literally hundreds of thousands of people is in fact you who needs to prove your assumption is always correct. It si very possible and even likely for people to forgive thier executioners. You are not an authority on what is possible for another person to do. And for the record neither am I which is why it is entirely possible and probable for SOME to engage in such forgiveness under such circumstances.

    Scholarly work is nothing more than learned opinion it is not evidence of divinity. There is no evidence whatsoever of any divine being. The teaching and writings you describe are engaging in the same old circualr and self defeating logic. They are meaningless unless one first assumes there is a god. Without faith they are worthless and faith is nothing more than belief in what is not possible.

    The fact is his behavior was in fact very much the norm in that part of the world at that time. Many people of his time were in fact seearching and looking for a messiah or savior and more than one individual came forward claiming to be exactly that divine being. Appolonius of Tyree for example lived and died years before Jesus. Appolonius was proclaimed the messiah and savior , he taught forgiveness , mercy , charity and faith. Witnesses claimed he performed miracles to include healing the infirm and sick. He was eventually crucified and was later seen walking among the living before " ascending " to heaven. Sound familiar? Other fragmented examples of similar people abound from the general time and place of the historic jesus. As one comedian put it the Monty Python movie Life of Bryan is more accurate than the new testament.

    The only difference between jesus and those examples is that no historic record or evidence exists of his existing and of course his ministery grew into a world wide religion over the centuries.

    Palestine is not and never was part of europe.

  8. #168
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'll say old chap, you Brits have a bloody way with words.

    BTW, have you figured out who the "we" is?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you elaborate please?

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    You are wrong about many things.First of all it has in fact been proven that the earliest known copies of the gospels were written well after he died and clearly not as a first hand account. In fact the known copies were written by someone other than tha authors which they are attributed to so yes we can say and it is fact that no evidence exists of his existing.
    I don't dispute that the earliest manuscripts that have been found were written after Jesus died. But what I said was

    Mildsteel said
    You cannot conclusively prove that the manuscripts that are there were not written from either the firsthand accounts of witnesses to the events or from actual written, recorded manuscripts of the events that were contemporaneously recorded with his life.
    I said that you could not CONCLUSIVELY prove that

    1. The manuscripts were not written from firsthand accounts of witnesses to the events

    OR

    2. The manuscripts were not from actual written, recorded manuscripts of the events

    So it's possible that the person who wrote the manuscripts wrote them after hearing from someone who actually witnessed the events, or it's possible that someone wrote them from manuscripts, that are no longer available. And saying that the manuscripts were written after Jesus died does not conclusively prove either of those statements. Therefore evidence is there, however I think it is fair to debate it's reliability. So you can't say there is no evidence whatsoever, and that's where I disagree with you.

    I will be the first one to admit that I think much of what is in the New Testament is from sources of questionable reliability. But having said that, I believe that although the picture of Jesus that we get from the New Testament may not be crystal clear at times, the message was so powerful, clear, and consistent with what is attributed to a person possessing divine qualities, that we can say with confidence that a reasonably close approximation is there in many cases, especially some of the words that have been attribute directly to Jesus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Once again I need not provide an example for literally hundreds of thousands of people is in fact you who needs to prove your assumption is always correct. It si very possible and even likely for people to forgive thier executioners. You are not an authority on what is possible for another person to do. And for the record neither am I which is why it is entirely possible and probable for SOME to engage in such forgiveness under such circumstances.
    No you don't have to do anything. I can't force you. But you can't provide an example of someone in that area of the world before Jesus, that taught love God with all your heart, love your neighbor as much as you do yourself, love your enemies, turn the other cheek, go the extra mile, that was tortured in such a way before their death, and then praying for forgiveness for the perpetrators. Now, it is possible that indeed someone else did so. But there are not hundreds of thousands of them for sure, at least not in that part of the world, and if any existed at all they were very few, because very few people can attain that level of transcendental realization.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Scholarly work is nothing more than learned opinion it is not evidence of divinity. There is no evidence whatsoever of any divine being. The teaching and writings you describe are engaging in the same old circualr and self defeating logic. They are meaningless unless one first assumes there is a god. Without faith they are worthless and faith is nothing more than belief in what is not possible.
    Any branch of learning makes assumptions or postulates about things that it assumes to be true, before it tries to explain other things. For example Newton did not try to prove that there were such things as mass and force. He assumed that they existed and were related to each other by the mathematical relation of Force = mass * acceleration. Furthermore you are complaining that paradigms that explain reality by assuming that God exists are circular, but at the same time it is a fact that you cannot prove that you exist and you have to rely on the assumption that you do exist. And there is a reason for that. Vyas has clearly stated that the sentience, the state of being aware, is a function of Supreme Sentient being and the subordinate sentient beings, and that the existence of both fall outside of the realm of the logic of the material mind. But if you assume that both exist, it is possible to understand the true nature of the Supreme Sentient being, God, the subordinate living beings, us, and the material energy, maya shakti.

    The topic of what is sentience is the most difficult subject. Indeed the answer to this question has baffled modern scientists to this very day. However, Vyas in the very first statement of the Vedanta Sutra opens the discussion on the very topic of nature of sentience by stating, "athato brahma jijnasa", i.e., let us inquire into the nature of Brahman or the transcendental reality. The great sage, Ramanuja Acharya has commented thus

    The word 'Brahman' denotes the hightest Person (purushottama), who is essentially free from all imperfections and possesses numberless classes of auspicious qualities of unsurpassable excellence.
    Here Sri Ramanuja clearly states that Brahman, the ultimate reality, is the Supreme Person, God, who is free from any imperfections, who is possessed of unlimited divine qualities, such as beauty, knowledge, strength, wealth, fame, etc. That is where Vyas starts, by stating that what is worthy of being discussed is the nature of sentience, in particular the nature of the Supreme Sentience. It is not a trivial subject, and to say that such a discussion is flawed, simply on the basis that is makes certain assumptions, is ridiculous.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 05-15-14 at 02:16 PM.

  10. #170
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Was Jesus White?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I don't dispute that the earliest manuscripts that have been found were written after Jesus died. But what I said was



    I said that you could not CONCLUSIVELY prove that

    1. The manuscripts were not written from firsthand accounts of witnesses to the events

    OR

    2. The manuscripts were not from actual written, recorded manuscripts of the events

    So it's possible that the person who wrote the manuscripts wrote them after hearing from someone who actually witnessed the events, or it's possible that someone wrote them from manuscripts, that are no longer available. And saying that the manuscripts were written after Jesus died does not conclusively prove either of those statements. Therefore evidence is there, however I think it is fair to debate it's reliability. So you can't say there is no evidence whatsoever, and that's where I disagree with you.

    I will be the first one to admit that I think much of what is in the New Testament is from sources of questionable reliability. But having said that, I believe that although the picture of Jesus that we get from the New Testament may not be crystal clear at times, the message was so powerful, clear, and consistent with what is attributed to a person possessing divine qualities, that we can say with confidence that a reasonably close approximation is there in many cases, especially some of the words that have been attribute directly to Jesus.



    No you don't have to do anything. I can't force you. But you can't provide an example of someone in that area of the world before Jesus, that taught love God with all your heart, love your neighbor as much as you do yourself, love your enemies, turn the other cheek, go the extra mile, that was tortured in such a way before their death, and then praying for forgiveness for the perpetrators. Now, it is possible that indeed someone else did so. But there are not hundreds of thousands of them for sure, at least not in that part of the world, and if any existed at all they were very few, because very few people can attain that level of transcendental realization.



    Any branch of learning makes assumptions or postulates about things that it assumes to be true, before it tries to explain other things. For example Newton did not try to prove that there was a such thing as mass and force, He assumed that they existed and were related to each other by the mathematical relation of Force = mass * acceleration. Furthermore you are complaining that paradigms that explain reality by assuming that God exists are circular, but at the same time it is a fact that you cannot prove that you exist and you have to rely on the assumption that you do exist. And there is a reason for that. Vyas has clearly stated that the sentience, the state of being aware, is a function of Supreme Sentient being and the subordinate sentient beings, and that the existence of both fall outside of the realm of the logic of the material mind. But if you assume that both exist, it is possible to understand the true nature of the Supreme Sentient being, God, the subordinate living beings, us, and the material energy, maya shakti.

    The topic of what is sentience is the most difficult subject. Indeed the answer to this question has baffled modern scientists to this very day. However, Vyas in the very first statement of the Vedanta Sutra opens the discussion on the very topic of nature of sentience by stating, "athato brahma jijnasa", i.e., let us inquire into the nature of Brahman or the transcendental reality. The great sage, Ramanuja Acharya has commented thus



    Here Sri Ramanuja clearly states that Brahman, the ultimate reality, is the Supreme Person, God, who is free from any imperfections, who is possessed of unlimited divine qualities, such as beauty, knowledge, strength, wealth, fame, etc. That where Vyas starts, by stating that what is worthy of being discussed is the nature of sentience, in particular the nature of the Supreme Sentience. It is not a trivial subject, and to say that such a discussion is flawed, simply on the basis that is makes certain assumptions, is ridiculous.
    You are in fact quite wrong it has been proven none of them are first hand accounts.

    Yes if you learn a little history you will find many people from the same region and area teaching the same message long before Jesus.

    All branches of learning do not do as you say. Science observes reality and tests to prove it Newton's observations were based on evidence. Faith by definition is absence of evidence.

    It is not ridiculous to state that such assumptions are flawed it is accurate to state they are weak minded opinions of someone long since dead.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •