View Poll Results: Do you think coming out announcements are overkill

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 37.50%
  • No

    8 20.00%
  • I love it when I hear of others coming out

    1 2.50%
  • It should not be news worthy

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128

Thread: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

  1. #61
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Here is the thing, when the bigots stop trying to disappear gay people from culture this won't be an issue. Until then any new group that comes open to gay people it will be news. You see part of celebrity is the fact that people want to know about them and that includes who they love. For decades people had to hide that or lose a lot of support, money, and ability to share their talents. In part because the power of the bigoted voices. Slowly gay people decided they didn't want to hide anymore. This is a good thing for our culture. How many people's talents have we not benefited from because of their sexuality.

    For Sam, he is not going to be a great NFL player but his body of work is worth a chance. His one great talent fits with Fisher's defense and if he can bulk up he may be a third and long blitzer. He will likely play on special teams or the practice squad but he is getting a chance because his work in college was good. I was convince after the Combine that he would be a 5-7 rounder and frnakly would not have had a problem if no one took him. But breaking that barrier is a big deal. While there have been gay men on teams before.

    But of course the bigotry didn't take long to explode on Twitter and here and you know what that drives the narrative that started threads like this. Now if the next time it is a guy like Andrew Luck who comes out then we will see. My hope is the mini-camp ends the media circus and we see if he can make the team.

  2. #62
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    03-26-18 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    k.


    Y?
    I get it. I'm the straight man!
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #63
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 10:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You make no sense.

    On one hand, you say an athete (who is normal looking and acting in all respects) coming out does a disservice to the gay community, then you post two pictures of what you see as the image gay men have created.

    On one hand, you wish to inhibit the more normal gay men from stating who they are, but then accuse gay men as the ones fostering the more extreme charicatures you promote.
    It made sense to me.

    The leftist culture has moved from celebrating traditional unions, to ostracizing and hating those who promote it, as marriage between a man and a woman.

    The tolerant left pressured Mozilla CEO to resign for supporting traditional marriage. They discriminated against against Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-A for their views on traditional marriage, some companies have been coerced to cater same-sex marriage celebrations, and of course the “Duck Dynasty” debacle.

    Why wasn't President Obama forced to resign his presidency over his former views about traditional marriage?

    Demanding tolerance for their views, and their views only. The tolerant left.

    And, I wish Michael Sam well because I'm an SEC fan. However, Jadeveon Clowney, also a defensive end, was the best defensive player in the SEC last year and the year before, period. If you don't believe me just ask the Houston Texans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 11:18 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,839

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    Maybe we need an official registry.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,460

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Maybe we need an official registry.
    If you are talking about a registry of famous people coming out, we kind of already have it.

    Every time somebody announces it, somebody here posts a thread about it like it is important, so if you do a search it is kind of like a registry.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    A large majority of them are normal, average, boring individuals.
    Ok, I am not disputing that but what I am saying is that they aren't the image standard for the gay community. the flaming homosexuals are. And the flaming homosexuals do it because they want people to understand that homosexuality is real and that there are gays around them and they want to express themselves... but in that desire and to accomplish that goal, they go about it the completely wrong way and I think it does a lot of harm.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,103

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Ok, I am not disputing that but what I am saying is that they aren't the image standard for the gay community. the flaming homosexuals are. And the flaming homosexuals do it because they want people to understand that homosexuality is real and that there are gays around them and they want to express themselves... but in that desire and to accomplish that goal, they go about it the completely wrong way and I think it does a lot of harm.
    Are people who insist that homosexuals are sinners bound for Hell flaming heterosexuals?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  8. #68
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    I really don't think it has to be put out there. I don't smooch in public and Don't like it when others do either. All this news coverage and tv shows showing intimate moments are mostly gratuitous.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  9. #69
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Now, that would be an interesting problem. Here's a poem about it:

    There was a gay man from barsoom,
    Who went up to a lesbian's room.
    They argued all night,
    Over who had the right,
    To do what, and with which, and to whom.
    But had they been thoroughly bi
    They wouldn't ask with whom and why
    But instead, intercourse
    irregardless of source
    Rearrange, and then go one more try.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Seeing as how SSM bans are being overturned, people are becoming more accepting of LGBT's, and more and more laws are being passed to protect the rights of LGBT's, it's pretty clear that they're not losing. Your claim that gay people coming out is hurting them is clearly refuted by reality

    But if claiming victory on the internet consoles you, I won't burst that bubble of yours
    First off, this isn't about same sex marriage and I support SSM. Don't make yourself up to be on one side and me on the other because that's not the case. It is because I don't see why sexual orientation should be a hot topic that I think that all this coming out and gay parades are a bad thing and hurting the image of the gay community. So now that we take that strawman out of the way lets talk facts and reality.

    Prove to me that it is the coming out statements that have a positive and meaningful impact on making people change their minds about SSM or about gays. I state that it's at best, a blip on the radar from a positive standpoint and the only meaningful impact it can make is a damaging one because it perpetuates the idea that gays are somehow unique and amazing little snowflakes that deserve special consideration. And reasonable people don't like that and don't, as nobody should, center their political stances on sentimental blabbery of some celebrity or another.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •