View Poll Results: Do you think coming out announcements are overkill

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 37.50%
  • No

    8 20.00%
  • I love it when I hear of others coming out

    1 2.50%
  • It should not be news worthy

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 128

Thread: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

  1. #41
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    It's fine that people are gay, but when they turn the dial to eleven it is offsetting. They should focus on being like the rest of us: normal. They don't need to dress as provocatively as Goths, emos, etc to say, "Hey! I'm gay!" They can just as easily say the same thing in a normal voice wearing blue jeans and a button up shirt.
    Nobody needs to dress provocatively or be openly anything, they choose to do so. That doesn't change the fact that "undetectable" and "respectable" are not synonymous. Nobody has an obligation to blend in so long as they're not disrupting anyone else's ability to live their lives. Dressing provocatively doesn't constitute such a disruption.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, they don't. Your own response demonstrates that

    The pictures of the straight people cause you to disapprove of those specific straight women who engage in that sort of behavior but you don't generalize that to all straight women. IOW, they don't affect the "general perception" of straight women.

    But you argue that the pictures of those gay men cause straight people to think that all gay men are like the men in the pictures you posted.
    Ah, I don't know if those women were straight. I thought they were lesbos. Either way, gay or not, slut culture is harmful to women.


    And I wouldn't say that sluts don't affect the general perception of straight women. How many men think all women are sluts? Enough to have stories in the media about how women are mistreated or have all that stupidity about the club dating culture. You go to the club, pick up a chick, bang her and leave and repeat the process periodically. It's why clubs exist to begin with because shallow people with no moral or respect standards who don't care about engaging in risky sexual behavior love to go there. It's why "the club" changed it's meaning from the victorian era where it was a place of intellectual conversation and model behavior to a pathetic display of the most base of human interactions. Again, it's just enough to have this sort of thing take place. It's not prevalent.. .or maybe it is, I don't know how we can test for this... but it exists.

    So your argument falls flat on its ass. And it's not like you need to think about it for long to understand why it is a fail argument. The reason why I posted the pictures of men is because when I googled "homosexual" that's what popped up among the first page of images.

    EDIT: how do you know those women in your pictures are straight?

  3. #43
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,673

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    C'mon twtt. You can't really believe that being disabled is just like being gay?

    People can't be fired for being disabled. A landlord can't refuse to rent to them. They can marry.

    In a lot of places, that isn't true about LGBT's
    Then report those stories; (proven) discrimination is news but simply having a trait is not. No one ponders why athletes that did better in the combine and are physically bigger/stronger than Michael Sam were not drafted. The White House even chimed in that this is somehow very important and historic simply because he is "openly" gay.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #44
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Ah, I don't know if those women were straight. I thought they were lesbos. Either way, gay or not, slut culture is harmful to women.


    And I wouldn't say that sluts don't affect the general perception of straight women. How many men think all women are sluts? Enough to have stories in the media about how women are mistreated or have all that stupidity about the club dating culture. You go to the club, pick up a chick, bang her and leave and repeat the process periodically. It's why clubs exist to begin with because shallow people with no moral or respect standards who don't care about engaging in risky sexual behavior love to go there. It's why "the club" changed it's meaning from the victorian era where it was a place of intellectual conversation and model behavior to a pathetic display of the most base of human interactions. Again, it's just enough to have this sort of thing take place. It's not prevalent.. .or maybe it is, I don't know how we can test for this... but it exists.

    So your argument falls flat on its ass. And it's not like you need to think about it for long to understand why it is a fail argument. The reason why I posted the pictures of men is because when I googled "homosexual" that's what popped up among the first page of images.

    EDIT: how do you know those women in your pictures are straight?
    How do you know those men were gay?

    Those pictures of presumably straight women do not cause people to want to ban straight marriages, fire straight people, refuse to rent apartments to straight people, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    It's fine that people are gay, but when they turn the dial to eleven it is offsetting. They should focus on being like the rest of us: normal. They don't need to dress as provocatively as Goths, emos, etc to say, "Hey! I'm gay!" They can just as easily say the same thing in a normal voice wearing blue jeans and a button up shirt.
    Come one, that dude that looks like a clown a few pages ago was worth a laugh. Just how stupid do you have to be to dress like a clown and think it's cool? lol.

  6. #46
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Then report those stories; (proven) discrimination is news but simply having a trait is not. No one ponders why athletes that did better in the combine and are physically bigger/stronger than Michael Sam were not drafted. The White House even chimed in that this is somehow very important and historic simply because he is "openly" gay.
    I said nothing about Sam

    Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 | Advocate.com
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #47
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    I think that not only is the public in general far too interested in what people do in bed, the celebrities are only too happy to tell everyone what's going on. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter, it's nobody's business what two consenting adults do and it shouldn't be news. People who announce it ought to be reviled as low-class.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    How do you know those men were gay?

    Those pictures of presumably straight women do not cause people to want to ban straight marriages, fire straight people, refuse to rent apartments to straight people, etc
    Because I told you, I googled "homosexual" and that's what came up on the front page. So it's a pretty safe bet that they're gay. They're at a gay pride parade and wearing the rainbow colors.

    The 2nd part of your comment... what??

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    Because that is the left gameplan PUSH homosexual behavior down the throats of everyone.

  10. #50
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    Because that is the left gameplan PUSH homosexual behavior down the throats of everyone.
    Golly. Next they'll break down your front door at dinnertime and boink each other in the ass right in front of your family...
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •