View Poll Results: Do you think coming out announcements are overkill

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 37.50%
  • No

    8 20.00%
  • I love it when I hear of others coming out

    1 2.50%
  • It should not be news worthy

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 128 of 128

Thread: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

  1. #121
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    How do you know those men were gay?

    Those pictures of presumably straight women do not cause people to want to ban straight marriages, fire straight people, refuse to rent apartments to straight people, etc
    Why do you presume they were straight women? What is it about them that makes you think so as the #1 likely option?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #122
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK.

    If there are "flaming homosexuals", are there also "flaming heterosexuals"? What defines them?
    Gipper.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #123
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The fact that this thread is already at page 10 clearly answers the question in the title.
    Meh. Most of it has been juvenile bickering about word definitions and such.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,417

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    Now, it appears, Austria has come out of the closet at a music contest.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    It's funny to me when people refer to prejudice as mere 'difference of opinion'.

    In any case, coming out does often take courage because being gay or bisexual still can have huge consequences. Moreover, for many gay kids/teens, public figures who do come out are heroes. Just because they aren't your heroes doesn't invalidate their status as such for other members of the population and it's selfish to act otherwise.

    And yes, 'we' - meaning much of the human population - are obsessed with people's sexuality. That's why coming out is still important. Because straight idiots obsessed with other people's sexuality make it very difficult for a lot of people to be authentic.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Meh. Most of it has been juvenile bickering about word definitions and such.
    True, but motivated by an obsession with sex.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #127
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,785

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    >>>
    Your lies and distortions are typical of gay-bashers' talk. You choose not to listen to us, because you have already chosen to believe that you are absolutely right and we are absolutely wrong. Inb4 your response, should you give one, further supports this conclusion.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #128
    Student Tralfamadore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Tar Heel State
    Last Seen
    05-13-17 @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    209

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think this is fair. Anymore an actor coming out is not news, nor is it courageous, but a football player is, so it depends.
    Right. Everyone is saying is saying "this is only news because he came out as a gay". My response: No s***. Why is that a bad thing?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •