View Poll Results: Do you think coming out announcements are overkill

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 37.50%
  • No

    8 20.00%
  • I love it when I hear of others coming out

    1 2.50%
  • It should not be news worthy

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 128

Thread: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. And it is my right to not conform to what you view as "respectful" dress or speech. You don't get to make that determination for everyone else.
    That same comment was made by someone else.

    I shall give you the same reply I did to him.

    You are right, it's not my views which you need to comform to to be respectful or respect worthy in civil society.I didn't decide it. You know who did? All of us. Everyone except you gathered into a big room and we talked it over, came to the conclusion on the evidence that a sensibly dressed society would be better for us all... and then we roll with it. The reason we didn't invite you is because we all knew that you have no valid contributions to make to the issue and would only spew hippy ****. Which btw, even the hippies among us 7bil people who decided this, thought you were waaaay off the rails. Go ask them.

  2. #112
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    First off, this isn't about same sex marriage and I support SSM. Don't make yourself up to be on one side and me on the other because that's not the case. It is because I don't see why sexual orientation should be a hot topic that I think that all this coming out and gay parades are a bad thing and hurting the image of the gay community. So now that we take that strawman out of the way lets talk facts and reality.

    Prove to me that it is the coming out statements that have a positive and meaningful impact on making people change their minds about SSM or about gays. I state that it's at best, a blip on the radar from a positive standpoint and the only meaningful impact it can make is a damaging one because it perpetuates the idea that gays are somehow unique and amazing little snowflakes that deserve special consideration. And reasonable people don't like that and don't, as nobody should, center their political stances on sentimental blabbery of some celebrity or another.
    I mentioned far more than SSM, and reality makes it clear that the public's view of homosexuals have been improving rapidly and dramatically which shows that your claims about how the public outings are hurting LGBT's is just a load of BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #113
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    And I am not the arbiter of what constitutes a civilized society, society is. And we all came together, talked about it, and decided that wandering around in our undies and with our private parts showing is not a good idea. Sorry you weren't invited to the big talk but we thought it'd be best considering you're only capable of breeding strawmen arguments that hold no water.
    Looks like the joke is on you because when society came together and talked about it, the overwhelming majority not only had no problem with it, they have actively encouraged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #114
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    That same comment was made by someone else.

    I shall give you the same reply I did to him.

    You are right, it's not my views which you need to comform to to be respectful or respect worthy in civil society.I didn't decide it. You know who did? All of us. Everyone except you gathered into a big room and we talked it over, came to the conclusion on the evidence that a sensibly dressed society would be better for us all... and then we roll with it. The reason we didn't invite you is because we all knew that you have no valid contributions to make to the issue and would only spew hippy ****. Which btw, even the hippies among us 7bil people who decided this, thought you were waaaay off the rails. Go ask them.
    Speaking for an entire group of people is always a bad idea.

    You live in a country with freedoms, including the freedom to go out in public dressed in a wide variety of ways, including some that you may find disrespectful. Including being able to talk and act to a very large degree in a way that you and/or others may very likely find disrespectful.

    Deal with it. You are the one showing your issues, not those who you are trying to demand must act "normal".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #115
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    C'mon twtt. You can't really believe that being disabled is just like being gay?

    People can't be fired for being disabled. A landlord can't refuse to rent to them. They can marry.

    In a lot of places, that isn't true about LGBT's
    Well, you can't legally fire or refuse housing to the disabled for being disabled, but it happens anyway.

    They can marry, depending on what disability category you are. If you're in the wrong category, you won't have protections for getting married.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #116
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Well, you can't legally fire or refuse housing to the disabled for being disabled, but it happens anyway.

    They can marry, depending on what disability category you are. If you're in the wrong category, you can't get married.
    You can't murder people legally either, but it happens anyway. However, the fact that there are penalties, sometimes quite serious, for some things certainly puts them in a category that is qualitatively different than activities which are legal.

    As far as marriage being sometimes limited for the disabled, are you referring to people with cognitive challenges?

    However, the bigger point is that there are qualitative differences between how the disabled have been treated and LGBT's. This is not to dismiss or diminish the discrimination that the disabled have faced, but merely to point out how twtt's equivalence was shallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #117
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You can't murder people legally either, but it happens anyway. However, the fact that there are penalties, sometimes quite serious, for some things certainly puts them in a category that is qualitatively different than activities which are legal.
    Except people clamor for a murderer to be caught. It does differentiate activity that is legally sanctioned, but de facto dealings are important to consider.

    As far as marriage being sometimes limited for the disabled, are you referring to people with cognitive challenges?
    Yes.

    However, the bigger point is that there are qualitative differences between how the disabled have been treated and LGBT's. This is not to dismiss or diminish the discrimination that the disabled have faced, but merely to point out how twtt's equivalence was shallow.
    I don't deny that the attempt to take one group's plight or experiences and transpose them onto another is problematic at the very least.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #118
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,867

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    I see it as a move to make homosexuality the new normal. But no matter how hard they try to make it the new norm, there will always be a substantial portion of the public that doesn't see it as normal. That's where it gets ugly with activist groups pushing things like hate speech laws or others willing to trample the rights of another over religious beliefs and other things denying them their 1st Amendment rights because they do not recognize the homosexual lifestyle. Then it becomes a "let me shove it down your throat" ordeal where the one group is going to force you through activist groups and activist judges to force you to comply to their way of thinking. Why does it have to be this way? Because some people are assholes. They just can't let people live in peace.

  9. #119
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Lately it seems that everyone who comes out gets a grandiose platform. Someone comes out and it's talked about for days. Many have called them heroes while giving them a virtual standing ovation. I don't care if someone is gay or not, but it just bugs me when people call them heroes or tear others down for having a difference of opinion. The definition of hero for me is someone going into a burning building to save someone, or a person taking a bullet for someone. It's Just starting to seem like this is becoming a bit of an obsession.
    *Pauses writing while mid sex-scene*

    Who's obsessed with sexuality? What? What's going on?

    If our country didn't deny people basic things in life like marriage and adoption based on sexuality then it wouldn't actually be a big deal. What we've done, in essence, is make people's sexuality the core central focus of worth and value as humans rather than a personal, private consideration that's between them and theirs. . .and then, after they've been told it matters more than life itself, we judge them when they actually get the message we send.

    If people don't want something to be a big deal then they shouldn't make it a big deal to begin with.

    *back to writing about sex*
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #120
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are we obsessed with people's sexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfamadore View Post
    It is courageous to come out in a sports league that is very "masculine" and has historically been a bastion of homophobia. Is it heroic? No. But, I would call it a courageous act.
    I think this is fair. Anymore an actor coming out is not news, nor is it courageous, but a football player is, so it depends.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •