View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #621
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I know. Haymarket seems to imply that kids are born afraid of guns like it's a fear of heights or something. They are not. Kids LEARN to fear OR respect guns. And most of that comes from parents and school policies. They play plenty of violent video games.....they dont fear guns...they follow an adults lead out in public. I'm sure in the example he gave of the kids being so fearful that they were observing their chaparones and the chaparones scared them. I'd place a bet on it.
    If you know of a study which documents this claim of yours I will be glad to see it. I already stated that ones fears and feelings come from a very wide set of experiences that do include family and media but encompass much much more in their lives.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #622
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    The 2nd Amendment is enough argument against your anti-liberty points. Also, don't you ever find it curious how everyone always insults you?



    We won our independence with them, an act I'm sure you find abhorrent. You'd have made a great Tory.
    We won our independence from a foreign nation colonizing us.

    And I know why others here insult me. Limited debate skills, small minds, ideological zealotry identifying me as the enemy of right libertarianism and an inability to back up their own claims so they get angry and resort to childish insults.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #623
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,744

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No they did not. They took up arms against the federal government and should have been arrested and prosecuted for the offense.




    I gave you several examples. One is too many and one American suffering intimidation is too many.
    That is such bull****. Like people have to be responsible for other people's feelings now. "Oh, if one child is hit by a car, all cars should be banned!" Even that makes more sense since actual harm is caused.

    And you may ignore it, but that's exactly what those ranchers believed they were doing (not the scofflaw). The 2A was created EXACTLY for that purpose. What do YOU think the purpose of the 2A is?
    Last edited by Lursa; 05-16-14 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #624
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,744

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    If you know of a study which documents this claim of yours I will be glad to see it. I already stated that ones fears and feelings come from a very wide set of experiences that do include family and media but encompass much much more in their lives.
    How do you think they become afraid? Are they born afraid? Of course not. Does actual contact with guns make them afraid? Nope, that's not the case either.

    So the 2 main influences are parents and schools and schools have rabidly anti-gun policies. TV? I dont know, there's an awful lot of good guys on TV too that have guns. Lots of violent video games. Parents can control both of those too, btw.

    So....do you have any theories on how kids become afraid of guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #625
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No they did not. They took up arms against the federal government and should have been arrested and prosecuted for the offense.

    .
    That's the purpose of the Second Amendment Haymarket.

    Thomas Jefferson Quotes :

    >"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now.

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

    The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.

    No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.

    To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.

    I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. (Back then!)

    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

    I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

    Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

    The god who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time: the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.

    And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.

    In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

    The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all.

    The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society.

    When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality.

    Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.

    The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..."<

    Continue -> The Greatest Thomas Jefferson quotes

  6. #626
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That is such bull****. Like people have to be responsible for other people's feelings now. "Oh, if one child is hit by a car, all cars should be banned!" Even that makes more sense since actual harm is caused.

    And you may ignore it, but that's exactly what those ranchers believed they were doing (not the scofflaw). The 2A was created EXACTLY for that purpose. What do YOU think the purpose of the 2A is?
    You asked for evidence and it was provided to you -- several times over. I could not care less what you do with it. Nor do I care what your claims about why the Second Amendment was created are either.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #627
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How do you think they become afraid? Are they born afraid? Of course not. Does actual contact with guns make them afraid? Nope, that's not the case either.

    So the 2 main influences are parents and schools and schools have rabidly anti-gun policies. TV? I dont know, there's an awful lot of good guys on TV too that have guns. Lots of violent video games. Parents can control both of those too, btw.

    So....do you have any theories on how kids become afraid of guns?
    You have this annoying habit of repeating things that have already been answered and clarified. I have told you - at least twice now - that all of a persons experiences contribute to their emotional makeup.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #628
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    That's the purpose of the Second Amendment Haymarket.

    Thomas Jefferson Quotes :

    >"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now.

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Quoting Cesare Beccaria)

    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

    The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.

    No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.

    To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.

    I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. (Back then!)

    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

    I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

    Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.

    The god who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time: the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.

    And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.

    In matters of style, swim with the current;
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

    The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all.

    The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society.

    When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality.

    Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.

    The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..."<

    Continue -> The Greatest Thomas Jefferson quotes
    The opinion of one man is irrelevant especially when that one many has a history of publicly lying in his statements.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #629
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,744

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You have this annoying habit of repeating things that have already been answered and clarified. I have told you - at least twice now - that all of a persons experiences contribute to their emotional makeup.
    LOLOL

    So people in decades just a few back had different emotional makeups and personal experiences? Kids growing up...completely different? Show me where anything kids are 'experiencing' outside of their family and school is teaching them to fear guns? Is it social media? Um, nope. Video games? Um, nope/ TV? That's been about the same for decades....lots of guns.

    You have NO answer. You just dont like mine...the greatest influences on them are their parents and school. And the schools today DO teach them to fear guns and that guns are bad. That is undeniable.

    So I feel like repeating it...yup. Esp. since I countered your silly social-worker speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #630
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,744

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You asked for evidence and it was provided to you -- several times over. I could not care less what you do with it. Nor do I care what your claims about why the Second Amendment was created are either.
    Do you know what evidence is?

    You didnt provide any such thing...and your claim that 'if even one person is intimidated...' is absurd. Nor can you defend it.

    And I dont have to make claims about why the 2A was created...that's pretty well documented. I was trying to see if YOU understood it. You have demonstrated zero such knowlege.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •