View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #51
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Owning a gun is now a God given right? Interesting...
    Is self defense a god given right? Than owning the instruments which allow one to employ said right are as well...

  2. #52
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    When you have more forces than the state:




    I would much rather have the people on my side


  3. #53
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You need to read the posts of some people right here on DP which make it clear they'd be downright giddy if they ever got the chance to dispatch a criminal with their firearms. I never said anything about majority or minority positions, just that there are people who think exactly as I described.
    There are "some" assholes and irresponsible people in every category...I worry alot more about the ones driving deadly weapons rather than carrying them. And the stats show they are a much bigger danger to the general public (because we're not talking about intentional crime)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #54
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,974

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The OP is simply a baited trap, complete with presumptuous terms and thinly-veiled insult.


    The poll is structured to require the assumption of fear being involved, and the implication is gun owners are fearful Walter Mitty types with delusions of manhood. This includes the implication that gun ownership is emotional and not a rationally made decision.



    Sheer nonsense that is undeserving of any comment really... it's just a poke at gun owners and an attempt to get a rise... and not even a new or clever one.
    Yup, this is why I never bother to vote in any polls he makes up since they are rigged to make liberals look good and insulting to everyone else.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Once again, the Constitution does not grant rights to the people. It preserves rights which the people already had and delegates responsibilities to the government. I know that's a hard thing for you statists to get through your heads but I'll keep on throwing it out there and hoping that at some point it sticks.
    I'm not the one who said it did. *shrugs*

    Is it really that hard to pay attention to a conversation? Or is it just easier to throw out strawman fallacies than address what's being said with reason and logic?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Is self defense a god given right?
    Only with our bodies.

    Than owning the instruments which allow one to employ said right are as well...
    No, because God didn't craft our hand into the shape of a handgun. Guns are a man made invention.

  6. #56
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Per usual, the question presumes facts not in evidence.

    The desire to own a firearm is most often couched in the presumption that the individual is the first who should be responsible for their own safety and a firearm is simply part of being adequately prepared. It's like carrying a condom. You may not need it but when the time comes it's a good idea to have one.

    However, in the interests of humoring the OP, I as the following:

    Who is more afraid? The person who believes that all gun owners are violent assassins or the one who believes that gun owners are generally law abiding citizens who wish to exercise their God given rights?
    Its kind of hard to be a violent assassin without a weapon. Guns just happen to be the most effective weapons to assassinate someone with.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #57
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    There are "some" assholes and irresponsible people in every category...I worry alot more about the ones driving deadly weapons rather than carrying them. And the stats show they are a much bigger danger to the general public (because we're not talking about intentional crime)
    Why? There are more regulations on driving and the mfr, registration, use, safety, and licensing of a vehicle then anything else we own. While it will not prevent people from being bad drivers, it has reduced vehicle accidents and the severity of injuries caused by vehicle accidents.

    There are almost no regulations on guns. Hell, a small child could buy a gun.... But it would be almost impossible for them to buy a car.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #58
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,689

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Who is more afraid - the one that buys insurance or the one that does not wish to buy it?

    The question is ridiculous since not all personal decisions are based on fear.

    Is it better to have a tool and not need it or to need a tool and not have it?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    I like guns because I hunt most of my own meat and it is difficult to kill deer and elk with your bare hands.

  10. #60
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I didn't realize the framers of our Constitution were God. Good to know.
    I can adequately defend myself and it has nothing to do with God or guns.
    Just remember not to bring a knife to a gun fight...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It is interesting to see how far those who worship at the alter of the firearm are willing to go.
    Interesting how some gun haters disparage with religious references yet deny the existence of God in almost the same breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    The answer is nothing, but then again, that's really just for people who aren't obsessed with guns.
    You mean people with a different perspective than you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Please direct me to the place where it says the Bill of Rights are god given. I want the exact quote. In fact, show me any place in the actual Constitution which mentions God.

    I'll wait.
    The Declaration recognizes that unalienable rights are defined a priori by God. In this sense, the law governing the exercise of unalienable rights is from eternity. Lex est ab æterno.35

    Neither the Declaration or the Constitution could enumerate all the rights which were to be protected. They could, however, point to the source of rights - our Creator - for reference by future generations. Each succeeding generation could then look to God the Creator and the particular rights he has granted which that generation considered were most suitable to assuring its own safety and happiness.
    The Laws of Nature and of Nature's God: The Cornerstone of Inalienable Rights

    Glad I could be of assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •