View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #541
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Something that is true is not nonsense.
    So the part you cut out of my reply is true? Good to know.

    the stereotype of gun grabbers who are limp wristed pansy boys who are afraid of guns because their mommy did not give them enough attention as babies.

  2. #542
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,882

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    So the part you cut out of my reply is true? Good to know.

    the stereotype of gun grabbers who are limp wristed pansy boys who are afraid of guns because their mommy did not give them enough attention as babies.
    You began with a false premise. Once that was disposed of - the rest of the post became irrelevant.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #543
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You began with a false premise. Once that was disposed of - the rest of the post became irrelevant.
    Just like your blanket generalization. Whats the matter? You don't like your own argument all of a sudden?

    And what premise would that be?

  4. #544
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,882

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Just like your blanket generalization. Whats the matter? You don't like your own argument all of a sudden?

    And what premise would that be?
    I have no idea what your first line means. But I suspect you do not like the implication that a denial of fear as a motivator on behalf of the gun supporters is part and parcel of the macho image some would have for themselves. On the other hand, those who want reasonable regulation of weapons have crafted no such contrary image of the pansy boy that you brought up. So that fallacy is the one of false equivalency.

    The false premise I referred to in the other post was that truth is nonsense.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #545
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no idea what your first line means. But I suspect you do not like the implication that a denial of fear as a motivator on behalf of the gun supporters is part and parcel of the macho image some would have for themselves. On the other hand, those who want reasonable regulation of weapons have crafted no such contrary image of the pansy boy that you brought up. So that fallacy is the one of false equivalency.

    The false premise I referred to in the other post was that truth is nonsense.
    I owe you an apology...

    You said "could" and yes they could. Your argument is sound and not a stereotype. I also agree some gun owners are that macho type. They are however the minority by a large margin.

    You were also correct that my premise was false and I exaggerated what you said. I made a nice straw man. This however does not change the truth of my initial statement....

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    All those who voted yes... Answer me this...

    I have a fire alarm in my home. Is it because I am afraid? I have locks on my doors, is it because I am afraid? I have an umbrella because I don't want to get wet, not because I am afraid to get wet. The logic put forth by the OP is ridicules and defies logic.

    To all those who voted yes...

    You are the ones who seem to be afraid... Of guns, period.
    It also shows how your initial reply does nothing to refute what I stated.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-14-14 at 08:47 AM.

  6. #546
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    None of that trivia means anything to me next to the actual decision and its effect.

    You often - and others on the right do this also here - talk about "the intent of the Founders". It is as if the personal musings of an individual taken from incomplete papers can somehow someway countermand or overrule the actual document given to us by 55 people acting in concert and then ratified by the states. Its a game not worth playing because it gets us nowhere. It reminds me of that science fiction short story HISTORY LESSON by Arthur C. Clarke where they discover a Disney cartoon reel in the future and then extrapolate all about this civilization and the people who lived there using it as evidence. And that is history.

    History Lesson by Arthur C. Clarke

    No - I will stick with the actual document and the actual words given to us as the law of the land and leave the game of intent to those who somehow get their jollies in playing it even though its a dead end exercise to nowhere.
    no you don't

    if you did we wouldn't get claims that Article I Sec 8 intended federal gun control or the incredibly pathetic argument that "shall not be infringed" was intended to allow infringement

    you like the fact FDR just made a federal power up

    AND I NOTE you have never even attempted to establish that the words of the commerce clause actually said firearms regulation in light of the 2A and the 10A more than 130 YEARS after that Clause was written


    The best you did was allude TO OTHER PARTS Of Sec 8 to justify gun control but that is specious since it was the CC that FDR used


    and come on-claiming you follow the actual language is a gut buster.

    t



  7. #547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So first we get some here saying that people have no real right to their own fears and now we have you telling parents what they should teach their kids about guns. Wonderful.

    ANy other control you want to have over people and their lives?
    What is the matter with teaching your children about guns and gun safety?

  8. #548
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i can understand that , however leaving door unlocked, and giving a crook the easier ability to enter your place, maybe kill your pets, to steal, is not something i would like to have to live with.
    I'm not that paranoid.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #549
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Have you ever taken in consideration that people may feel threatened by you ?

    BTW: Where were you on April, 29th, 1992 ?
    Why would they be threatened by me?

    April 29th,1992....I was living in Redondo Beach. What is your point? That the riots 20 years ago is evidence that LA is a "gang infected city under foreign occupation"? LOL.....still being a drama queen I see.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #550
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,882

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    I owe you an apology...

    You said "could" and yes they could. Your argument is sound and not a stereotype. I also agree some gun owners are that macho type. They are however the minority by a large margin.

    You were also correct that my premise was false and I exaggerated what you said. I made a nice straw man. This however does not change the truth of my initial statement....



    It also shows how your initial reply does nothing to refute what I stated.
    First - thank you. It is appreciated.

    Second, I do think fear motivates lots of people. It motivates many gun buyers and owners and it motivates many people who simply do not like guns. I also would say that there are lots of people in both camps - pro and anti gun who have fear as a motive down the list. For example, a hunter who buys a rifle to hunt with is not fearful. A person who likes target or skeet shooting is not motivated by fear. By the same token, there are people who perhaps are fearful of the results of poor use of a gun but are not afraid of guns themselves. There are also people who have good reasons why they simply do not want to won a gun and fear has little to do with it.

    So it is there on both sides and it is both absent on both sides as well.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •