View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    The question's easy - there's many people out there who feel that they need a gun (or guns), usually for self-defense, but sometimes because they believe the government just might come knocking to confiscate their guns.

    On the other hand, there's people out there (like myself) who simply don't want a gun, who doesn't have a need for one.

    So who, really, is the one who's more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun for self-defense, or the one who doesn't feel he needs a gun for self-defense?
    Ever stop to wonder why they do not want anyone to be armed worldwide?

    Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Zedong

    Read more at Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. - Mao Zedong at BrainyQuote


    The Greatest Thomas Jefferson quotes

    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Knotted Gun Sculpture, New York, New YorkWho Is More Afraid?  The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun?  Or the One Who Doesn't?-corbis-42-29591044-jpg


    If you research you will find .gov have killed more people then anyone.

    Democide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    His research shows that the death toll from democide is far greater than the death toll from war. After studying over 8,000 reports of government-caused deaths, Rummel estimates that there have been 262 million victims of democide in the last century

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Who's boasting? Has it ever occurred to you that if someone says he doesn't need a gun, that maybe, just maybe he doesn't need it?

    The OP is simply a baited trap, complete with presumptuous terms and thinly-veiled insult.


    The poll is structured to require the assumption of fear being involved, and the implication is gun owners are fearful Walter Mitty types with delusions of manhood. This includes the implication that gun ownership is emotional and not a rationally made decision.



    Sheer nonsense that is undeserving of any comment really... it's just a poke at gun owners and an attempt to get a rise... and not even a new or clever one.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #43
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,679

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I didn't say that fear was THE motivating factor, did I? That, sir, was your own assumption. Fear is one of several different motivating factors, just as lack of fear us one of several different motivating factors in one's decision not to buy a gun.
    It's the only one you brought into the discussion and you never mentioned it as being only one factor, leaving things open to interpretation. If I misinterpretted your false assumption, I apologize.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  4. #44
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,681

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Is the person who doesnt practice fire drills in his/her home with his/her family afraid? Or are they less afraid?

    Or are they unprepared, less aware, and just taking their chances, hoping that something never happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,681

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Extremely limited (perspective) poll. Seems to assume gun ownership/carrying has something to do with fear, period.

    I can speak from experience that it does not apply to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,681

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And from the other side of the coin, who's more afraid - the gun owners who are Absolutely Sure that liberals are out to take their guns and their 2A rights away, or the liberals who honestly support gun ownership as long as we can make sure that the owners are law-abiding citizens and not felons/sexual predators/terrorists/sociopaths/whatever?

    .
    You are not speaking for all liberals, esp. not this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,681

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I remember the days when I was - at least to some extent - what you would today call a 'doomsday prepper'. We were Absolutely Sure that the Soviets were going to launch any day now, so we had our guns and our plans and all the silly assumptions that young men tend to have before real maturity begins to give them a clue.

    And I don't need a gun to survive. I don't need one to hunt - people got by on hunting without guns for many millenia before guns were invented. The more important skill would be knowing what plants can and can't be eaten, and what they can be used for. That, and knowing how to stay hidden if need be...because if someone with a gun sees you first, he's got the drop on you. It doesn't matter if you've got a gun unless he's a lousy shot. On the one hand, having a gun gives you the opportunity to shoot back...but not having a gun makes you more careful...and perhaps more creative since you're forced to think outside the box.
    It sounds more like you have an extreme personality and jump on bandwagons....and then think things through better over time. And then feel dumb and reject the earlier obsession or compulsion. Kind of like an addictive personality.

    And as for not having a gun making you less careful...that is 100% bull****. It shows a great ignorance of the realities of the LAWS that affect people who do own and carry legally. We are held to a higher standard under the law, we must avoid at all costs any confrontation because it may lead to escalation (taking the High Road), and any use of our firearm is examined with heightened scrutiny just because of the type of weapon used. We have to be MORE careful to avoid any situation where we might find conflict, whereas someone not carrying a lethal weapon can mouth off and act stupid and drink and do whatever they want...and take their chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,681

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I would use it if I had to, I just don't feel the need to stock up on guns and ammo in the perverse hope that someday, I'll be able to gun down an intruder. That seems to be an issue with some of the gun nuts. They not only prepare for it, they look forward to it.
    The condescension is cute...and shows you suck up media hype and dont know many actual gun owners and carriers. And the reason for that is most dont go around discussing or revealing any part of their exercising their 2A rights. So you're not even aware of the majority.

    Pretty much for the reasons your 'opinion' makes obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The condescension is cute...and shows you suck up media hype and dont know many actual gun owners and carriers. And the reason for that is most dont go around discussing or revealing any part of their exercising their 2A rights. So you're not even aware of the majority.

    Pretty much for the reasons your 'opinion' makes obvious.
    You need to read the posts of some people right here on DP which make it clear they'd be downright giddy if they ever got the chance to dispatch a criminal with their firearms. I never said anything about majority or minority positions, just that there are people who think exactly as I described.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #50
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    The question's easy - there's many people out there who feel that they need a gun (or guns), usually for self-defense, but sometimes because they believe the government just might come knocking to confiscate their guns.

    On the other hand, there's people out there (like myself) who simply don't want a gun, who doesn't have a need for one.

    So who, really, is the one who's more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun for self-defense, or the one who doesn't feel he needs a gun for self-defense?
    Who's more afraid of fire? The one who feels like having a fire extinguisher is a good idea, or the one who doesn't feel the need?

    Reminds me of a joke:

    A state trooper stopped a 95 year old woman on interstate 20, and noticed as he
    was checking her drivers license, that she had a concealed carry permit. He
    said, "got any guns with you ma'am?" She said, "yes, a 45 Smith & Wesson in
    the glove compartment, a 357 magnum in the console and a 38 special in my
    purse." The trooper said "lady, what are you scared of?"

    She said, "NOT A
    DAMN THING!!!"

Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •