View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #411
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Does it matter in any way shape or form? Of course not. If you live in the back 40 you're more than likely not going to buy a gun simply because you're afraid. However if you live in the worst part of Chicago...yeah...you're more than likely going to buy a gun because you're scared ****less because of all the gang violence. I would bet dollar to donuts that if you lived in such a neighborhood and couldn't afford to move you'd be wanting to have a gun also.

    Point is that buying a gun because you're afraid is a valid reason to buy a gun for self defense. That's why even states/cities that have "may issue" laws will give a gun license to those that have a valid reason to be fearful of thier lives. Such as living in a high gang population area. Hell....even NYC...one of the most god aweful gun rights cities there is in the US has that exception.

    Being fearful of ones life and trying to protect yourself from the thing that you are fearful of is not only a Right...but it is also a natural human reaction to any situation where there is danger. As such the question posed is obviously posed for one and only one purpose....to portray those that own guns as paranoid freaks that are too mentally unbalanced to own a gun. At least that is how the question comes across to me. I'm sure such will be denied of course. Par for the course.
    As I admitted to Jack Hays when he pointed it out, mine was a poorly-written question. I should have thought more deeply about how to present the question, perhaps with more options too.

    But I would point out one thing about your comment - NYC's actually one of the safest major cities in the nation (feel free to Google the stats). It's got about half the homicide rate of the state of Louisiana, and certainly has a lower homicide rate than Atlanta, St. Louis, and especially New Orleans.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #412
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    The one who are afraid of people simply because they possess guns.
    Y'know, people who are afraid of other people who have guns, generally have guns themselves. But most people really don't care to have guns anymore:

    The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.

    The gun ownership rate has fallen across a broad cross section of households since the early 1970s, according to data from the General Social Survey, a public opinion survey conducted every two years that asks a sample of American adults if they have guns at home, among other questions.

    The rate has dropped in cities large and small, in suburbs and rural areas and in all regions of the country. It has fallen among households with children, and among those without. It has declined for households that say they are very happy, and for those that say they are not. It is down among churchgoers and those who never sit in pews.

    The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.


    That's not fear of people having guns - that's just people deciding that they don't need guns.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #413
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Not enough information to answer.

    Everyones motivation for having a gun may be different. Fear may be driving it, but isn't the only thing. Similarly, fear may drive the reason why someone doesn't want a gun for self-defense. Such as fear that they'll use it against an innocent person by mistake, or fear that they'll misfire it, or fear of having it in the home, etc.

    In terms of your OBVIOUS attempted point....boiling down either sides veiws regarding gun control as "fear" based is rather ridiculous.
    As I've admitted to a couple of the others here, mine was a poorly-worded question. I'll do better in the future.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #414
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    As I've admitted to a couple of the others here, mine was a poorly-worded question. I'll do better in the future.
    Well said. Respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #415
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    because you should have been clear instead of being ....vague..by the word ..those.
    Perhaps the ideological glasses you wear impaired the clarity?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #416
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You can teach your kids anything you want. You want to do that, you do them a great disservice, even harm. And you can indulge your own unfounded fears all you want....just dont attempt to force them on others.

    You ignored most of the actual supporting content in the post, just cherry-picked.
    You are really really sensitive to people replying to every point you try to make. Okay - as to your point about frontier kids ----- perhaps they were damaged by open weapons- after all we virtually wiped out a race of people, stole their land with the same gun you say did no real harm. And America still has the high rate of guns and crime so its legacy lives on.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #417
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And you claim I was trying to control people's lives???? Telling other people what *choices* to make with their wardrobe and comfort and safety? Not too dismissive

    You need to take a good long hard look in a mirror. You are way into the land of denial.
    You need to realize something --- I make no bones about the ability of the people to decide the type of country and the quality of society they want to live in and accept and support the idea of majority rule as long as basic rights are respected. I DO NOT wave the phony flag of LIBERTY or put the bright red lipstick of FREEDOM on myself like so many on the right do and then violate their own so called principles.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Y'know, people who are afraid of other people who have guns, generally have guns themselves.
    Would that include yourself?

  9. #419
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    Bully?...sounds like TR too me.....a progressive who thought he was king while president.

    you know just admitting you hate the founders and our founding documents, would go a long way in shining..your true feelings of america.
    I have never made any bones of the reality that the Dec lied about many things. I have never said otherwise. Loving this nation means you can accept the reality of its lies and still love the American people in spite of them.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #420
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    but their supposed fear isn't restricting YOUR rights or the RIGHTS of anyone else

    the fear of the gun tremblers threatens our RIGHTS
    Not at all. Perhaps some extremists may feel violated but only because they are falsely claiming rights that they do not have in the first place so again the self imposed delusion is only in their own mind and more of a dissociative disorder than any violation of actual rights.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •