View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #131
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And then fear of crime also motivates all purchases of home security systems, car alarms, martial arts classes, etc ad infitem. Are those completely fear-based...or based on prudence and preparedness?
    car alarm companies, martial arts studios etc were not targeted for harassment by the Democrat party when the Democrat party wanted to pretend it was tough on crime. but your point is an excellent one



  2. #132
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    car alarm companies, martial arts studios etc were not targeted for harassment by the Democrat party when the Democrat party wanted to pretend it was tough on crime. but your point is an excellent one
    A couple of things:

    1. Don't feel persecuted. Both parties placate the NRA and no one will ever succeed in banning guns.

    2. not a logical comparison. There has never been a car alarm spree that I know of. And outside of movies, there hasn't been a school ninja attack that I no of either.

    The poll question lacks evidence. There are likely some on both side fearful. And people on both sides that are not at all fearful. I doubt fear us significant with either side.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Just remember not to bring a knife to a gun fight...
    Circular argument. Try again.

    You mean people with a different perspective than you?
    No, I mean exactly what I said.

    Glad I could be of assistance.
    You weren't. There is nothing in the Constitution which makes any reference to God or a creator. You failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Now you're just being silly.
    Says the person who can't follow a conversation.

    I notice you didn't apologize to Crue Cab for calling him a statist. He'd probably like that.

    Weapons likely predate controlled fire as one of the primary tools man has used to sustain the species.
    But we're not talking about "weapons", we're talking about "guns". Seriously, just once I'd like for you to stay on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Than you are a luddite extremist?
    No? I'm just possessing of common sense?

    You're against medicine, vaccines, and other forms of health care too I suppose?
    I'm just against saying they are God given rights. Are you saying vaccines are a God given right? Or are you just another person who was unable to follow the concept of the conversation?

    Exactly like a firearm. A tool to preserve life.
    We're not talking about that, we're talking about whether it is a God given right. Seriously, why is it so hard for people to follow the conversation?

    He did craft our minds to invent them therefore as a product of our minds, our creation is an extension of ourselves, as we are an extension of our Creator...
    So? That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're saying. God also created our minds to invent money, does that mean your money is my God given right to have?

    It's like some people completely lose sight of all logic when it comes to firearms, or in this case, an ability to remember the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Its in the Declaration of Independence.
    Which is not the Constitution. You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Has been since the ratification in 1791. Try keeping up.
    The Declaration was not ratified in 1791, the Bill of Rights was. Furthermore, the Declaration has absolutely nothing to do with our government either.

    Are you finally ready to admit you were wrong yet? It seems like we do this quite often...you say something silly and false, I correct you, you try to squirm out of it, I catch you and you never apologize for being wrong. How about we try something different this time and you apologize for being wrong?

    By the way, I noticed where Lutherf called you a "statist". You might consider having a word with him about that.

  4. #134
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A couple of things:

    1. Don't feel persecuted. Both parties placate the NRA and no one will ever succeed in banning guns.

    2. not a logical comparison. There has never been a car alarm spree that I know of. And outside of movies, there hasn't been a school ninja attack that I no of either.

    The poll question lacks evidence. There are likely some on both side fearful. And people on both sides that are not at all fearful. I doubt fear us significant with either side.
    1) tell that to people in DC, NY, CT. its a lie. lots of guns have been banned including all automatics made after may 19, 1986. I don't buy that lie and it is a lie

    2) dems adopted gun control to stave off attacks by people like nixon who claimed dems failed to stem the tide of mostly black street crime in the 1960s. Gun control was based on false motives and now has morphed into attacking pro gun rights groups because they told the truth on what the Dems were doing If car alarm lobbyists mainly supported the GOP, I suspect the Dems would target them too



  5. #135
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    2. not a logical comparison. There has never been a car alarm spree that I know of. And outside of movies, there hasn't been a school ninja attack that I no of either.
    The claim was that they were bought out of fear of crime. So? Has nothing to do with lethality. Has to do with motivation to own/employ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #136
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No? I'm just possessing of common sense?
    No.
    I'm just against saying they are God given rights. Are you saying vaccines are a God given right? Or are you just another person who was unable to follow the concept of the conversation?
    No, did I say that?

    The god given right is to defend yourself, that means using whatever tools or means necessary that you may obtain.

    We're not talking about that, we're talking about whether it is a God given right. Seriously, why is it so hard for people to follow the conversation?
    It isn't so hard, it is a simplistic argument you're trying to concoct, a word game. Those are easily comprehensible and defeated, as I've done.

    You're trying to say a person has a god given right to a gun, as in they're born and one is issued while Angels hark, and that's just nonsense. No one in their right mind thinks that.

    So? That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're saying. God also created our minds to invent money, does that mean your money is my God given right to have?
    No, it is your god given right to acquire your own money.

    It's like some people completely lose sight of all logic when it comes to firearms, or in this case, an ability to remember the discussion.
    I know, it's like how hard of a concept is it to understand that if you are able to procure a firearm for yourself, either through purchase, trade, or smithing, than you have a God given right to that firearm should you feel it necessary to use as a tool of self defense?


    I'd go on to explain private property is a God given right and how the tool that is a firearm plays into that but as I can see you're not really up for a conversation so much as you are for pounding sand because no one wants to play your gotcha game BS...

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    maybe if the Democrat party wouldn't start yapping about gun bans every time some nut case engages in a kamikaze attack, the fear you complain about wouldn't exist. However, the Dem party clearly feels a need to attack our rights just about every time there is a massacre.

    that is why tons of gun dealers say Obama and Schumer, Brady and Feinstein are among the best salespeople the gun makers have. Every time those four turds start braying about gun bans, sales go through the roof.

    This is a common sense issue - not a partisan one. It involves what type of society we want to live in as Americans - not as partisan Democrats or Republicans.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And then fear of crime also motivates all purchases of home security systems, car alarms, martial arts classes, etc ad infitem. Are those completely fear-based...or based on prudence and preparedness?
    yes - the things you cited are also aided by fear. As to being "completely fear based" ... I doubt it althought I suspect it is significant.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #139
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    What do firearms have to do with God? Or did God suddenly wink into existence with the advent of gunpowder?
    Did God wink into existence healthcare, because some think they have a right to that?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #140
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Afraid of what?



    Only God really knows, but I'll go with afraid of anything that they believe a firearm will protect them against.

Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •