View Poll Results: Who is more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun, or the one who doesn't?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The person who feels he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    38 79.17%
  • The person who does NOT feel he needs a gun is the one who's more afraid.

    10 20.83%
Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 641

Thread: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

  1. #91
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    What I meant was that its part of a fantasy that they live in a dangerous enough word to justify being armed all the time, which isn't the case for most people, but danger is manly and cool
    Ok what planet do you live that violent crime isn't really an issue? Tens for thousands of people are raped and or murdered every year in the US and without being able to protect yourself the only thing stopping that happening to you and your family is someone not trying.

    If your family was in the process of being murdered would you want a gun? I'm assuming you wouldn't want it because the only real use for a gun is feeling manly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    The question's easy - there's many people out there who feel that they need a gun (or guns), usually for self-defense, but sometimes because they believe the government just might come knocking to confiscate their guns.

    On the other hand, there's people out there (like myself) who simply don't want a gun, who doesn't have a need for one.

    So who, really, is the one who's more afraid? The one who feels he needs a gun for self-defense, or the one who doesn't feel he needs a gun for self-defense?
    I don't know, I can only speak for myself. I've been in situations where I was glad to have gun. If you haven't, you're blessed.

  3. #93
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,254

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Ok what planet do you live that violent crime isn't really an issue? Tens for thousands of people are raped and or murdered every year in the US and without being able to protect yourself the only thing stopping that happening to you and your family is someone not trying.

    If your family was in the process of being murdered would you want a gun? I'm assuming you wouldn't want it because the only real use for a gun is feeling manly.
    My family has never, and is extremely unlikely to be in a situation where they are al being murdered. If I had a gun, I might have done it.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #94
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,254

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't know, I can only speak for myself. I've been in situations where I was glad to have gun. If you haven't, you're blessed.
    When you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Ok what planet do you live that violent crime isn't really an issue? Tens for thousands of people are raped and or murdered every year in the US and without being able to protect yourself the only thing stopping that happening to you and your family is someone not trying.

    If your family was in the process of being murdered would you want a gun? I'm assuming you wouldn't want it because the only real use for a gun is feeling manly.
    Oh I live in the United States like lots of other people, its a fairly rural place with not a lot of crime which is why I can confidently walk down the street without worried about being raped or murdered. For most people having a gun doesn't help them in life in the least, at least statistically the amount of positive uses of firearms by citizens far outweighs the negative uses. I know there's some source out there which claims a million people every year use their gun for self defense in the US, but those statistics are always open to a lot of error.

    How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

    Point being what really guns under my skin about gun ownership isn't that a lot people own or carry guns is that they do so in a state of ignorance, they don't understand the risks to themselves that guns can create, or the risk to others if they improperly carry or improperly secure at home. I think gun advertisers are completely insane in how they advertise, which does so in a way that encourages and promotes unrealistic and unsafe ideas on how to own a weapon or what owning a weapon is like. I don't think enough people understand the responsibility that comes with owning a weapon, I don't think enough people take the time to think about how carrying a weapon could change their approach to problems or dangerous situations. Something called "weapon effect" where the fact that carrying something so powerful changes the way you think

    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Its not something I say happens to everyone but its something I've personally experienced with some people. None of this is me saying "this applies to everyone all the time," ultimately it comes down to that I don't feel people taking gun ownership seriously enough and my solution to that isn't bans or confiscation, which are political or practically feasible, but rather that people should be educated and seek education into how to be a responsible gun owner.

    I'll give another example of what I mean real quick, I made a post a while back where I said if you own a gun and look at the top round in your magazine that YOU are the person most likely of all the people in the world for that round to end up in if it were to find its way into a person. There's self-injury of course but I was referring to suicide, gun owners are about 3 times more likely to kill themselves with their gun than anyone else (legally or not). Why is that? Well suicide is already a bigger problem than homicide but more specifically it has to do with the ease of the act, suicidal people typically seek out the most painless method because even to a suicidal person the final moments are spent in extreme psychological pain, part of your brain is always rebelling against the act and its easier/less painful if you can do something which overcomes that part of the brain in just a second. So the solution is simple, if you're suicidal find somewhere else to place your guns, if your friend may be suicidal talk to him about his guns and of course about his thoughts. Thats it, that's all I'm saying, no bans, no confiscation, no mark on your record so if you go to buy another gun sometime in the future you're flagged for having been suicidal at one point and can't make the purchase.

    You'd be amazed, well maybe you won't, how much people will rebel against discussing simple things like that

    Maybe this comes from my time in Afghanistan, where the biggest enemy was yourself. There were more deaths/injuries to suicide and accident than ever by combat, and in just about every single one them you could look at see that negligence towards appreciating risk was the cause. Ya you might get really unlikely and johnny-taliban might get you, but odds are you or your friend is going to do you in.

  6. #96
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    My family has never, and is extremely unlikely to be in a situation where they are al being murdered. If I had a gun, I might have done it.
    Sure it's unlikely, and hopefully it never does happen. However, were it ever to happen, you sure as **** would want to have a gun around, which makes anti-gun folk little more than hypocrites. You've never needed one so why would anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Oh I live in the United States like lots of other people, its a fairly rural place with not a lot of crime which is why I can confidently walk down the street without worried about being raped or murdered. For most people having a gun doesn't help them in life in the least, at least statistically the amount of positive uses of firearms by citizens far outweighs the negative uses. I know there's some source out there which claims a million people every year use their gun for self defense in the US, but those statistics are always open to a lot of error.

    How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

    Point being what really guns under my skin about gun ownership isn't that a lot people own or carry guns is that they do so in a state of ignorance, they don't understand the risks to themselves that guns can create, or the risk to others if they improperly carry or improperly secure at home. I think gun advertisers are completely insane in how they advertise, which does so in a way that encourages and promotes unrealistic and unsafe ideas on how to own a weapon or what owning a weapon is like. I don't think enough people understand the responsibility that comes with owning a weapon, I don't think enough people take the time to think about how carrying a weapon could change their approach to problems or dangerous situations. Something called "weapon effect" where the fact that carrying something so powerful changes the way you think

    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Its not something I say happens to everyone but its something I've personally experienced with some people. None of this is me saying "this applies to everyone all the time," ultimately it comes down to that I don't feel people taking gun ownership seriously enough and my solution to that isn't bans or confiscation, which are political or practically feasible, but rather that people should be educated and seek education into how to be a responsible gun owner.

    I'll give another example of what I mean real quick, I made a post a while back where I said if you own a gun and look at the top round in your magazine that YOU are the person most likely of all the people in the world for that round to end up in if it were to find its way into a person. There's self-injury of course but I was referring to suicide, gun owners are about 3 times more likely to kill themselves with their gun than anyone else (legally or not). Why is that? Well suicide is already a bigger problem than homicide but more specifically it has to do with the ease of the act, suicidal people typically seek out the most painless method because even to a suicidal person the final moments are spent in extreme psychological pain, part of your brain is always rebelling against the act and its easier/less painful if you can do something which overcomes that part of the brain in just a second. So the solution is simple, if you're suicidal find somewhere else to place your guns, if your friend may be suicidal talk to him about his guns and of course about his thoughts. Thats it, that's all I'm saying, no bans, no confiscation, no mark on your record so if you go to buy another gun sometime in the future you're flagged for having been suicidal at one point and can't make the purchase.

    You'd be amazed, well maybe you won't, how much people will rebel against discussing simple things like that

    Maybe this comes from my time in Afghanistan, where the biggest enemy was yourself. There were more deaths/injuries to suicide and accident than ever by combat, and in just about every single one them you could look at see that negligence towards appreciating risk was the cause. Ya you might get really unlikely and johnny-taliban might get you, but odds are you or your friend is going to do you in.
    I guess you were lucky then. When I was in Afghanistan we had far more casualties from enemy fire than we had from self infliction. My experience there taught me the exact opposite, it taught me that the world is a ****ed up, violent, horrible place, and no one is going to protect you, only yourself and the people you trust. A gun enables that. Will every gun owner win a gun fight? Of course not, but never in history have the chances for a 100 lb female been so great to win against a 200 lb male. Guns level the battlefield, and frankly that's what a lot of people don't want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It just seemed like a good idea, like additional home security, when I moved out to my rural property.

    I took a ladies gun class and liked it. If I hadnt liked it, I wouldnt have bothered, but I liked shooting.

    The class opened the door to cc'ing and again, it just seemed like a good idea. I used to live in metro NJ, was an unarmed park ranger in Central Park in Manhattan. Never really felt the need for a gun or fearful. I patrolled CP on foot, unarmed.

    But once introduced to guns and enjoying shooting, it seemed like a non-starter...why not? Just one more option. I was always aware of the dangers out there.....so one more tool was welcomed.

    btw, now that I am in the competitive arena, so to speak, I talk to loads of people, esp. women, about *carrying* and again, your list really is not as comprehensive as you think.

    In general I believe most cc'ers are private about it...but being involved in the sport does open up conversation.


    As I said, it wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list of specifics, but to cover the broad basic motives in a concise package. "It just seemed like a good idea, like additional home security, when I moved out to my rural property" as you said, may not fit precisely under number "3. They are aware that their area is not safe, or that "safe areas" are largely an illusion, and wish to be armed to protect themselves against armed criminals."... but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #98
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Oh I live in the United States like lots of other people, its a fairly rural place with not a lot of crime which is why I can confidently walk down the street without worried about being raped or murdered. For most people having a gun doesn't help them in life in the least, at least statistically the amount of positive uses of firearms by citizens far outweighs the negative uses. I know there's some source out there which claims a million people every year use their gun for self defense in the US, but those statistics are always open to a lot of error.

    How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

    Point being what really guns under my skin about gun ownership isn't that a lot people own or carry guns is that they do so in a state of ignorance, they don't understand the risks to themselves that guns can create, or the risk to others if they improperly carry or improperly secure at home. I think gun advertisers are completely insane in how they advertise, which does so in a way that encourages and promotes unrealistic and unsafe ideas on how to own a weapon or what owning a weapon is like. I don't think enough people understand the responsibility that comes with owning a weapon, I don't think enough people take the time to think about how carrying a weapon could change their approach to problems or dangerous situations. Something called "weapon effect" where the fact that carrying something so powerful changes the way you think

    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Its not something I say happens to everyone but its something I've personally experienced with some people. None of this is me saying "this applies to everyone all the time," ultimately it comes down to that I don't feel people taking gun ownership seriously enough and my solution to that isn't bans or confiscation, which are political or practically feasible, but rather that people should be educated and seek education into how to be a responsible gun owner.

    I'll give another example of what I mean real quick, I made a post a while back where I said if you own a gun and look at the top round in your magazine that YOU are the person most likely of all the people in the world for that round to end up in if it were to find its way into a person. There's self-injury of course but I was referring to suicide, gun owners are about 3 times more likely to kill themselves with their gun than anyone else (legally or not). Why is that? Well suicide is already a bigger problem than homicide but more specifically it has to do with the ease of the act, suicidal people typically seek out the most painless method because even to a suicidal person the final moments are spent in extreme psychological pain, part of your brain is always rebelling against the act and its easier/less painful if you can do something which overcomes that part of the brain in just a second. So the solution is simple, if you're suicidal find somewhere else to place your guns, if your friend may be suicidal talk to him about his guns and of course about his thoughts. Thats it, that's all I'm saying, no bans, no confiscation, no mark on your record so if you go to buy another gun sometime in the future you're flagged for having been suicidal at one point and can't make the purchase.

    You'd be amazed, well maybe you won't, how much people will rebel against discussing simple things like that

    Maybe this comes from my time in Afghanistan, where the biggest enemy was yourself. There were more deaths/injuries to suicide and accident than ever by combat, and in just about every single one them you could look at see that negligence towards appreciating risk was the cause. Ya you might get really unlikely and johnny-taliban might get you, but odds are you or your friend is going to do you in.
    Hey, I like your signature line!

  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Oh I live in the United States like lots of other people, its a fairly rural place with not a lot of crime which is why I can confidently walk down the street without worried about being raped or murdered. For most people having a gun doesn't help them in life in the least, at least statistically the amount of positive uses of firearms by citizens far outweighs the negative uses. I know there's some source out there which claims a million people every year use their gun for self defense in the US, but those statistics are always open to a lot of error.

    How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

    Point being what really guns under my skin about gun ownership isn't that a lot people own or carry guns is that they do so in a state of ignorance, they don't understand the risks to themselves that guns can create, or the risk to others if they improperly carry or improperly secure at home. I think gun advertisers are completely insane in how they advertise, which does so in a way that encourages and promotes unrealistic and unsafe ideas on how to own a weapon or what owning a weapon is like. I don't think enough people understand the responsibility that comes with owning a weapon, I don't think enough people take the time to think about how carrying a weapon could change their approach to problems or dangerous situations. Something called "weapon effect" where the fact that carrying something so powerful changes the way you think

    Weapons effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Its not something I say happens to everyone but its something I've personally experienced with some people. None of this is me saying "this applies to everyone all the time," ultimately it comes down to that I don't feel people taking gun ownership seriously enough and my solution to that isn't bans or confiscation, which are political or practically feasible, but rather that people should be educated and seek education into how to be a responsible gun owner.

    I'll give another example of what I mean real quick, I made a post a while back where I said if you own a gun and look at the top round in your magazine that YOU are the person most likely of all the people in the world for that round to end up in if it were to find its way into a person. There's self-injury of course but I was referring to suicide, gun owners are about 3 times more likely to kill themselves with their gun than anyone else (legally or not). Why is that? Well suicide is already a bigger problem than homicide but more specifically it has to do with the ease of the act, suicidal people typically seek out the most painless method because even to a suicidal person the final moments are spent in extreme psychological pain, part of your brain is always rebelling against the act and its easier/less painful if you can do something which overcomes that part of the brain in just a second. So the solution is simple, if you're suicidal find somewhere else to place your guns, if your friend may be suicidal talk to him about his guns and of course about his thoughts. Thats it, that's all I'm saying, no bans, no confiscation, no mark on your record so if you go to buy another gun sometime in the future you're flagged for having been suicidal at one point and can't make the purchase.

    You'd be amazed, well maybe you won't, how much people will rebel against discussing simple things like that

    Maybe this comes from my time in Afghanistan, where the biggest enemy was yourself. There were more deaths/injuries to suicide and accident than ever by combat, and in just about every single one them you could look at see that negligence towards appreciating risk was the cause. Ya you might get really unlikely and johnny-taliban might get you, but odds are you or your friend is going to do you in.


    From your own cited link:

    Kleck has extrapolated that DGU occurs more than 2 million times a year. Kleck doesn’t suggest that gun owners shoot potential antagonists that often. DGU covers various scenarios, including merely brandishing a weapon and scaring off an aggressor...... Hemenway finds more reliable an annual federal government research project, called the National Crime Victimization Survey, which yields estimates in the neighborhood of 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Making various reasonable-sounding adjustments, other social scientists have suggested that perhaps a figure somewhere between 250,000 and 370,000 might be more accurate.
    If there are 15,000 suicides per year and around 300,000 DGU's a year, DGU's outnumber suicides by 20 to 1.

    Accidents hardly bear talking about, as they don't even amount to a fraction of that and have been trending downward for 40 years.

    I'd be quick to say that someone who IS suicidal or prone to it probably should not own a gun. Those not so inclined however appear to be more likely to use a firearm in self-defense by a vast margin, than the canard of "oh you'll just shoot yourself" so over-hyped by the anti's.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #100
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Who Is More Afraid? The One Who Feels He Needs a Gun? Or the One Who Doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    As I said, it wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list of specifics, but to cover the broad basic motives in a concise package. "It just seemed like a good idea, like additional home security, when I moved out to my rural property" as you said, may not fit precisely under number "3. They are aware that their area is not safe, or that "safe areas" are largely an illusion, and wish to be armed to protect themselves against armed criminals."... but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
    In your rural community, depending on where you reside, a firearm might be a necessity....e.g. black bear, coyote, mountain lion, rattlesnake, etc..


Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •