So here's what the drug war has cost us so far:
- Largest prison population in the world.
- Estimates that the Drug War has cost taxpayers from $1 Trillion so far (or around $100 Billion a year) and this is a conservative estimate.
- Cops have been militarized: every city and government agency (including the Dept of Education) now has a SWAT team equipped with military weapons and vehicles.
- Lots of innocent people have been killed (form drug gang shootouts to cops mistaking raiding the wrong house)
- Arrests and incarceration of large number of minorities (the black population has been absolutely devastated by arrests and busts)
- Strengthened organized crime (drug cartels control huge swaths of territory in Latin America) and caused massacres/high murder rates in other countries.
It only took 13 years for the older generation of politicians to repeal Prohibition when they realized that it wasnt working. Why are a huge number of politicians now still for the war even though its not working?