View Poll Results: Should drugs be legalized?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- all drugs should be legalized.

    28 50.00%
  • Yes/No- only some drugs (like pot) should be legalized

    22 39.29%
  • No- keep all drugs illegal, continue the waaughh!

    6 10.71%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 133

Thread: Drug Legalization

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion here - marijuana concerns me. Ive seen studies that link marijuana use to a drop in IQ by as much as 8 points. That is quite significant. Plus, we have loads of anecdotal evidence that shows marijuana users are less motivated than non-users.

    I think a society in which marijuana use is rampant is a less prosperous society, and therefore we need to think in terms of how we can limit its use as much as possible.
    Then factor in that legalized marijuana also attracts drug tourists, of which a certain number do not go back home. Instead, they stay and consume a variety of social recesources.

    I would recommend Texas do the following for three time marijuana arrestees:
    - If you have been arrested three times for marijuana, you get...

    A free bus pass to Colorado, three months rent at an apartment complex in Colorado, and a voucher for a few dime bags.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And what about alcohol? That's legal, and yet amazingly not everyone is a drunk.
    Alcohol isn't linked to lower IQ's or poor job performance.

    I understand that everyone can make choices for themselves. I just think that first, we should make sure people are making INFORMED choices, and second, we NEED to keep marijuana out of the hands of kids and teenagers.

    What's most concerning to me is how easily kids can get a hold of this stuff. For a developing brain, it's tragic, and it saddens me. We see this in Colorado.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Then factor in that legalized marijuana also attracts drug tourists, of which a certain number do not go back home. Instead, they stay and consume a variety of social recesources.

    I would recommend Texas do the following for three time marijuana arrestees:
    - If you have been arrested three times for marijuana, you get...

    A free bus pass to Colorado, three months rent at an apartment complex in Colorado, and a voucher for a few dime bags.
    In texas we just throw you in the hoosegow.

  4. #54
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    thats not even close to true. You need to get out more. There are a lot of people who don't believe that we should be spending police resources busting people for drugs. There are a lot of people, conservatives among them, that think it is a waste of money to lock people up for drug offenses. From a fiscal point of view it makes zero sense. Put the money spent clogging the prisons with non-violent drug offenders into treatment for those who want it or will take advantage of it.
    As a conservative, I agree 100% with what you said here.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Alcohol isn't linked to lower IQ's or poor job performance.
    Did you mean to write that sentence or…?

  6. #56
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    In texas we just throw you in the hoosegow.
    What is a "hoosegow"? That aside, I think enticing them into becoming consumers of Colorado social services would save Texas alot of money.

  7. #57
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Alcohol isn't linked to lower IQ's or poor job performance.

    I understand that everyone can make choices for themselves. I just think that first, we should make sure people are making INFORMED choices, and second, we NEED to keep marijuana out of the hands of kids and teenagers.

    What's most concerning to me is how easily kids can get a hold of this stuff. For a developing brain, it's tragic, and it saddens me. We see this in Colorado.
    Which is why marijuana, like alcohol, shouldn't be legal for anyone under 21. I know a lot of people who want to see pot legalized, but I don't know any who want it legal for 9 year olds.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Keep them illegal, just lower the penalties for non-violent possessors of illegal drugs for more minor things like pot.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's true, but I was more referring to drug-related crimes, where people rob to get money for their drugs,
    If they were legalized the price would go way down and there would be no such thing as a $300/week cocaine habit. It would be more like a $10/week cocaine habit because that white powder is only expensive as it is because it is prohibited. Because it is cheap, people don't rob and murder for a cup of coffee. And harder drugs than caffeine would also be very cheap if they were legal.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    or when they simply freak out from doing drugs.
    That is an outlier argument. The vast majority of people who use drugs do not violently freak out.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Drug Legalization

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Alcohol isn't linked to lower IQ's or poor job performance.

    I understand that everyone can make choices for themselves. I just think that first, we should make sure people are making INFORMED choices, and second, we NEED to keep marijuana out of the hands of kids and teenagers.

    What's most concerning to me is how easily kids can get a hold of this stuff. For a developing brain, it's tragic, and it saddens me. We see this in Colorado.
    My point is that there is really no difference between weed and alcohol. Any of the things you say about weed, can also be said about alcohol, yet that is legal. Why? Because of the powers that be who decided one day that alcohol good, other drugs bad.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •