View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #481
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,379

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So if Bob liked punching black people because they were black that wouldn't be racist unless he also believes one race to rule them all?
    Well, first, Bob would have to be white.

    It's a little childish to try to dance around common definitions of words instead of actually defending your point.
    Just use the whole definition. That's the least anyone should be able to comprehend.

    Pretending that being denied a school, once if ever, is the same as every day oppression is stupid nonsense.

  2. #482
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,009

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Except it does-it assumes, merely on the basis of skin color-that the individual can not compete equally, and is therefore in need of some sort of special status and benefit. It does not account for ANY individual merit or achievement but rather skin color alone. Just as bad, people of other skin color can be looked over or denied because they did not receive the same status and benefits-again based merely on skin color.

    AA is govt wielded racial discrimination under the guise that two wrongs make a right.
    Sorry but you are mistaking the law compensating, not for an inherent inferiority in any given race, but for the way others treat said race. It is not the same thing. The law effectively is saying "you are not inferior, but there are those treating you as such and thus we will compensate". I am not saying that the law does this properly or effectively, but AA is not structured with the idea that any given race is inferior to others or that any given race is superior to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Well, first, Bob would have to be white.
    Couldn't he be Asian, or Hispanic or Native American?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Sorry but you are mistaking the law compensating, not for an inherent inferiority in any given race, but for the way others treat said race. It is not the same thing. The law effectively is saying "you are not inferior, but there are those treating you as such and thus we will compensate". I am not saying that the law does this properly or effectively, but AA is not structured with the idea that any given race is inferior to others or that any given race is superior to others.
    The law makes assumptions, based purely on race. That individuals experiences are immaterial. But even worse, is that it negatively impacts people of different skin color because of that.

  4. #484
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,009

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The law makes assumptions, based purely on race. That individuals experiences are immaterial. But even worse, is that it negatively impacts people of different skin color because of that.
    Which shows bias, yes, something I have already said, my very first post on this thread in fact. The law does not use the assumption that any given race is either superior or inferior as per the definition of racist also posted in this thread.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  5. #485
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,379

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Couldn't he be Asian, or Hispanic or Native American?
    That's significantly different, but I suppose. Minorities acting against each other is not the same as the majority and societal privilege.

  6. #486
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Well, first, Bob would have to be white.



    Just use the whole definition. That's the least anyone should be able to comprehend.

    Pretending that being denied a school, once if ever, is the same as every day oppression is stupid nonsense.
    Then by your logic if all the major schools got together and decided to not ever accept black people that wouldn't be racist because being denied a school can't be racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #487
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,899

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    How do you even prove someone is black/white/or asian? Is there an ancestry percentage... do we all have to take DNA tests? Compare our skin to a skin color chart?

    What if from now on, I call myself black, yo! Who can tell me I'm not? Prove that I'm not black.
    Is it because I don't look it? Who determines if I look black or not?
    Last edited by celticwar17; 05-12-14 at 06:08 AM.

  8. #488
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,009

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's significantly different, but I suppose. Minorities acting against each other is not the same as the majority and societal privilege.
    Racism is racism. It does not matter what the races of the two individuals involved are save that they are two different races. There is a difference between being racist and have signifficant access to a system to make the lives of those one is racist towards miserable.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    How do you even prove someone is black/white/or asian? Is there an ancestry percentage... do we all have to take DNA tests? Compare our skin to a skin color chart?

    What if from now on, I call myself black, yo! Who can tell me I'm not? Prove that I'm not black.
    Is it because I don't look it? Who determines if I look black or not?
    An excellent point. Certainlly there have been enough people of mixed heritage who's skin color leans more towards one parent than the other, even white. And in a thread about service animals someone once said that it was wrong that we should question whether or not the animal was actually a service animal since it was demeening to the supposed handicapped person. So why would asking one to prove one's race be any less demeaning.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #489
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    translation, the broke the law. there are no qoutas or special treatment in real AA/EEO thats why they got in trouble.
    posting lies wont change this fact

    again quite while you are behind lol
    Those were quotes, in case you didn't notice, from the Department of Labor and from one the actual US Codes (Law) governing Affirmative Action.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  10. #490
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,379

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Then by your logic if all the major schools got together and decided to not ever accept black people that wouldn't be racist because being denied a school can't be racist.
    Wrong. You've failed to grasp the sociological implications of racism - a social construct.

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •