View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #31
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,376

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Vote away my friends, vote away
    Racism is actions, practices or beliefs, or social or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities. It may also hold that members of different races should be treated differently.

    Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It doesn't matter a wit whether it's for someone's definition of a "just" cause, because there are not enough ______'s based on someone's arbitrary standard. My half Asian daughters would refuse a seat in school or a job offered because it was someone's quota, and reject any organization that would offer their seat or job to a black or anyone else because of the same arbitrary standard.

    It amuses me that the left defends these "just cause" initiatives based on demographics in all things but prisons. I doubt anyone would say we need to put more whites in prison because they're under-represented in the prison population.....


    .....or maybe not.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #32
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    It amuses me that the left defends these "just cause" initiatives based on demographics in all things but prisons. I doubt anyone would say we need to put more whites in prison because they're under-represented in the prison population...
    That would be unjust.

  3. #33
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Translation: you cant defend your factually false claim with anything accurate and factual. Let me know when you can.
    SOrry facts bother you but they dont care and you just proved that you factually do not know what AA/EEO is, thank you for proving my point. LMAO
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You're just lumping everything to do with race under the heading 'racism'. It's pure ignorance employed to create a false equivalence between white and black bigots, to create a false equivalence in the status quo by ignoring the impacts of real racism and to otherwise excuse real racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    so is the NAACP, the black caucus among other things.
    What definition of racism are you each using? It is an important question that if it is not answered leaves you all talking past each other.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #34
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What definition of racism are you each using? It is an important question that if it is not answered leaves you all talking past each other.
    The part of the definition that specifies a system of unjust discrimination and privilege. That's something that blacks, in this country, are not capable of because they're a minority.

    If a black says he hates whites, it will never affect my ability to get a job or a fair shake in court. A single black business owner might discriminate against my job application, but there are a million other places to go, and so it has no societal impact upon me.

    If a white says he hate blacks, that carries very real implications for a black person.

    That's the difference. Racism is a social construct, with social implications. Bigotry by blacks does not meet the definition.

  5. #35
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's not an attempt at societal unjust discrimination and privilege. It's a system of improving universities.

    Not all discrimination is unjust, not all discrimination is bigotry. And not all bigotry is racism. I understand, these are concepts beyond the average Joe, but these are the facts.
    Not all discrimination is unjust but I think discriminating against someone for skin color is pretty much always unjust.

    I also don't really see any real argument that a corporation, organization, or university is improved because it included people with different skin tones, especially people with different skin tones who likely wouldn't have been included on merit.

  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What definition of racism are you each using? It is an important question that if it is not answered leaves you all talking past each other.
    uhm not being a smart ass but theres only the real definitions of racism none other invented ones matter but i get what you are asking.

    AA/EEO makes it ILLEGAL to make any hiring, firing, promotional, training, monetary, and benefit decisions based on race. That by definition is not racist and is the exact opposite.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The part of the definition that specifies a system of unjust discrimination and privilege. That's something that blacks, in this country, are not capable of because they're a minority.

    If a black says he hates whites, it will never affect my ability to get a job or a fair shake in court. A single black business owner might discriminate against my job application, but there are a million other places to go, and so it has no societal impact upon me.

    If a white says he hate blacks, that carries very real implications for a black person.

    That's the difference. Racism is a social construct, with social implications. Bigotry by blacks does not meet the definition.
    Where not whites in south Africa a minority?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    Not all discrimination is unjust but I think discriminating against someone for skin color is pretty much always unjust.
    False. Diversity in the university system and an attempt to mitigate systemic unjust discrimination are just causes.


    I also don't really see any real argument that a corporation, organization, or university is improved because it included people with different skin tones, especially people with different skin tones who likely wouldn't have been included on merit.
    First, you're just displaying ignorance in not understanding how diversity improves a university education. Second, you're wrong about merit. All applicants must meet basic qualifications. From that pool, the university selects as is best for the university.

    If a white is turned down, there are a million institutions that will accept them. Real racism creates a situation where there are no or very limited alternatives. This was, and still is, the case for blacks in this country.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    It doesn't matter a wit whether it's for someone's definition of a "just" cause, because there are not enough ______'s based on someone's arbitrary standard. My half Asian daughters would refuse a seat in school or a job offered because it was someone's quota, and reject any organization that would offer their seat or job to a black or anyone else because of the same arbitrary standard.

    It amuses me that the left defends these "just cause" initiatives based on demographics in all things but prisons. I doubt anyone would say we need to put more whites in prison because they're under-represented in the prison population.....


    .....or maybe not.
    I especially like that last bit about prisons...never heard that one before.

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    uhm not being a smart ass but theres only the real definitions of racism none other invented ones matter but i get what you are asking.

    AA/EEO makes it ILLEGAL to make any hiring, firing, promotional, training, monetary, and benefit decisions based on race. That by definition is not racist and is the exact opposite.
    If there is only one real definition, you should have no problem providing it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •