View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #381
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    1.)What could be more racist than going through life convinced that people of your own race are deserving of special privilege because the majority race is made up of evil oppressors? That the majority race has better jobs, better opportunities, more money, etc. only because they are evil, because they cheat you and other minorities. It's a belief in the inherent moral inferiority of a race of human beings and the moral superiority of your own race -- the textbook definition of "racism".
    good thing AA/EEO factually has nothing to do with any of that but thanks for that meaningless non-related rant
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #382
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    They allowed the institution of slavery to exist.
    Which has nothing to do with what I posted, but your input is noted.

  3. #383
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Howso? Prove it. I think you are lying.

    Getting into college can make a huge difference in people's lives.

    Granted, I probably had a huge advantage over my peers by not going to college and going straight into a career because I didn't need college. I was already smarter than the vast majority of college professors anyways. But getting into the right college can mean a lot to the average Joe.
    I'd bring up the Dunning Kruger effect, but I'm sure you're already thoroughly familiar with it...perhaps you even wrote it.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  4. #384
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No the war has not been won because there is still quite a bit a racism in the United States, AND there are people still alive that were directly psychologically and economically harmed by the effects of the systemic racism that existed.
    Are you posting about racism, or Affirmative Action?

    Barack Obama is living proof that AA is no longer needed, unless he's only where he is because of AA.

    If he isn't, then you may want to study how he & his wife got to be the successes that they are so you can achieve what they have.

  5. #385
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Beautifully stated.

    So I ask my liberal, pro-affirmative action friends. What is more productive, more compassionate, less racist?

    A. To treat a large group of Americans as inferior citizens who are just not capable of making it without government mandates and assistance, i.e. AA?

    B. To consign intelligent, capable people to inferior status in their colleagues eyes because those colleagues believe they got their position not because of merit, but because of AA?

    C. Or let people sink and swim on their own initiative, competence, credentials, and merit so that they finally, at last, are considered equals with their white peers?
    C, no question.

    Anyone who doesn't believe that he or she is capable of greatness will never achieve greatness.

  6. #386
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    There is no institutionalized anti-black racism in the US.
    False. It's a part of the fabric of our society and will remain so until people like you are willing to look at society honestly and stop claiming black mental inferiority accounts for society's ills.

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    good thing AA/EEO factually has nothing to do with any of that but thanks for that meaningless non-related rant
    Then why does AA/EEO factually exist? If minorities don't feel they deserve "special privilege" but believe they can compete on an equal basis, the there is absolutely not reason for AA programs to exist.

    So either some have an "inferiority complex" and support AA type programs or they believe they are equal and don't want special "privilege". Apparently both exist, and thats the facts Jack.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #388
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Whatever.

    Debating with you is like trying to teach a dog to speak Norwegian...time consuming and completely pointless.

    No offense intended.

    Good day.
    I hear dogs learn Spanish much easier than Norwegian.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #389
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) good thats the right pick
    2.) you are free to believe as you wish but that is factually what they do, this wont change. THey have a definition and rules and laws and rights to guide it all.
    3.) Their beliefs are meaningless and so is the believes of thier uneducated colleagues to reality and facts. ANd the BEST fact us is we all benefit form AA/EEO no matter the race. And id said individual was given or denied something based on race that factually WAS NOT AA/EEO.

    THese are the facts people have to educated themselves with and if they cant thier opinion dont matter anyway. People are free to THINK whatever they want if its not true why does it matter? it doesnt

    4.) quotas are ILLEGAL and definitely not part of AA/EEO.

    the problem with those people or the idiotic thoughts of thier colleagues that they worry about is that none of them understand what AA/EEO is.

    If a minority believes they got somewhere because of a quota then they have to realize that that was factually not AA/EEO no matter what people call it and that illegal activity needs reported.
    If thier non minority colleagues think they got there because of a quota then they have to realize that that was factually not AA/EEO no matter what people call it and that illegal activity needs reported.
    I a minority is worried that thier colleagues think they got thier because of a quota it shouldnt matter one bit what dumb people think and they should simply do thier job proving others wrong.
    No quotas? You don't really read the posts at USMB do you. How many times EVERY DAY does somebody comment on how some organization or group or political party or whatever is all WHITE rich guys? That a photo of some gathering shows mostly WHITE faces? What happens if a large organization happens to be all white at the higher levels? If a school doesn't have a good percentage of minority students? How important is it whether a person is black or white being elected to Congress? How many of you would be happy with a Congress or state legislature or city council with no black people or other minorities or women in or on it?

    How many times has the government required the military or fire or police departments etc. to lower standards so that more minorities or women could qualify? How many times has the government forced academia to set aside educational standards so more minorities, especially black people, could qualify? How many corporations have been pressured to accommodate more minorities or else lose out on lucrative contracts or other government provisions? How many minority advocacy groups have accused businesses of being racist because they were too WHITE?

    And how many black people who have achieved great success are accused of being ungrateful if they don't give affirmative action credit for that success?

    Yes they say quotas are now illegal--they haven't always been illegal--and they now call it underutilization. But there are penalties brought to bear if an organization is shown to not be showing good faith implementing its goals to correct underutilization meaning they aren't working hard enough or providing enough opportunity to minorities.

    And that results in the perception that many minorities get their jobs because the organization HAD to hire them and not because they merited those positions. Maybe that doesn't bother you. It does bother my friends who have found themselves in that uncomfortable situation.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #390
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Howso? Prove it. I think you are lying.

    Getting into college can make a huge difference in people's lives.

    Granted, I probably had a huge advantage over my peers by not going to college and going straight into a career because I didn't need college. I was already smarter than the vast majority of college professors anyways. But getting into the right college can mean a lot to the average Joe.
    So you are very good looking and very smart. What the heck are you doing on this message board? You should be out turning the world upside down!
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •