View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #341
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A black man was voted into the most powerful position in the world, and he could not have done it without white votes. That to me says it all.
    That says WHAT all?

    Is there racism still in this country? Yes, and there always will be. There will always be sexism, people who don't like Hispanics, Jews, Asians, and so on. There are 300 million+ people here. Not everyone will care for everyone else.

    My uncle was in the Bataan Death March. That was probably one of the most horrific things that happened to American men in history. He told me he hated Japanese people for years after that, but eventually realized they didn't represent ALL Japanese people. He moved on, still bearing scars and barely being able to talk about it, but moving on. Was slavery bad? Yes. But it wasn't a government act, and it was 150 years ago, it was very few people who owned slaves, none of them are alive today, and today we have a black man as President. What more does anyone need to do?

    150 years ago my female ancestors couldn't vote, couldn't be doctors, couldn't be politicians, and so on. Wow. Should I be bitter about it? Nope.
    The stupidity of your argument is that affirmative action is not about "bitterness".

    It is about getting populations previously repressed promoted to levels that represent their population distribution at minimum.

    You certainly ought to be a bit miffed that women who qualify for and do the same work as men do NOT receive the same pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Guess what? There are people who still think women are too stupid to work or vote, and should be pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen, and are second class citizens. Big ****ing deal. That hasn't stopped women from achieving greatness, has it?
    And the only way that women were able to start getting close to men in pay or achievement was to have the opportunity to do so.

    F'ing DUH.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #343
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Here is something that I found. I guess I didn't realize what Affirmative Action was. I was thinking of racial quotas. The Marine Corps does practice racial quotas. To my understanding racial quotas would violate EEO laws.

    Originally Posted by The Difference Between EEO & Affirmative Action | eHow

    Affirmative Action

    The purpose of Affirmative Action is to address past discrimination against women, individuals with disabilities and minority groups, including Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and American Native Indians. Affirmative Action involves active recruitment of qualified individuals in these groups to make them aware of job and promotion opportunities. Affirmative Action does not mean hiring or promoting unqualified applicants, which could violate EEOC laws. For most companies, Affirmative Action plans are voluntary; however, most non-construction contractors and subcontractors for the federal government must have Affirmative Action plans.

    Affirmative Action Plans

    Executive Order 11246 requires federal non-construction contractors and subcontractors to develop a written Affirmative Action program if the employer has 50 or more employees and meets any of the following requirements: It has a federal contract or subcontract of $50,000 or more; it has government bills of lading that in any 12-month period are expected to total $50,000 or more; it serves as a depository of federal funds; or it is a financial institution that is an issuing and paying agent for U.S. savings bonds and savings notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    correct AA/EEO laws are not based on qoutas and in reality they apply to use all and protect us all.

    THe confusion people have is that orgs have had quotas or have hired based on race gender etc and CALLED it an AA/EEO program but its not and they have gotten in trouble for it. They tried, and failed, to say they were simply implementing an AA/EEO program but when push came to shove they were found in violation of the law.

    Now some people who are simply misinformed run with there defense and assume they were practicing AA/EEO.

    Of they have some life event or story that this girl or minority etc etc was hired over this person BECAUSE of AA/EEO and that is false. They can think that, they may have been told that but its false and not the case. AA/EEO does not allow that.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    I think it would be better if they knew the difference between Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action and racial quotas.

    I didn't know the difference until just a few minutes ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    you are correct and many people ASSUME what they are

    or they have an illogical fear that if they dont have a woman, a minority, a Muslim, an old person and young person etc they will get sued and lose. But the reality is they are much more likely to be found doing somethign illegal if they do not practice AA/EEO and do give special treatment.

    Good job and that is meant with ZERO sarcasm

    no matter what a person posts it takes an amount of integrity to simply admit when a person makes a mistake or simply didnt know somethign and you just did so. No matter what it can be said you have shown integrity and i think thats more important than most things here.

    seems some others need to actually learn and go through the same process you did to understand the difference between actual, factual and REAL AA/EEO and not BS made up things called AA/EEO. Once again by definition AA/EEO is factually not racist nor can it be. ANy program that is racist is factually NOT AA/EEO.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #344
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But it wasn't a government act
    Slavery was not a govt act?
    In the US?

    Are you frigging kidding me?

    What do you think the Civil War was about?

    Good grief!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #345
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    That says WHAT all?

    The stupidity of your argument is that affirmative action is not about "bitterness".

    It is about getting populations previously repressed promoted to levels that represent their population distribution at minimum.

    You certainly ought to be a bit miffed that women who qualify for and do the same work as men do NOT receive the same pay.
    Women get paid what they deserve to be paid. I know I do. Nobody has ever held me back because some people don't care for women and because women were treated like crap until 2 generations ago.

    Blacks are no longer repressed. This isn't 1956. A black man is the most powerful man in the world, and it took a lot of white votes to get him there, didn't it?

    Blacks are in the upper echelon of every business sector in this country. They are on the SCOTUS, in the government, in academia. They can buy homes, they can move where they choose, they can compete as athletes, they can do everything. That is a fact you can't deny.

    My argument isn't stupid. My argument is spot on. What are you looking for anyway? Do you want any man or woman in this country who doesn't like blacks to be shot? Deported? Tell me specifically what you expect to happen to them?

  6. #346
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Slavery was not a govt act?
    In the US?

    Are you frigging kidding me?

    What do you think the Civil War was about?

    Good grief!!!
    Did the United States government send boats to Africa to buy slaves?

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh, so the Jews in the 20th century deserve to be exterminated because of what some Jews did 200 years before? Is that your point?
    Who said the Jews deserved to be exterminated?

    The point is that, IN THE UNITED STATES, blacks have suffered far more abuse than Jews. The fact that Jews profited greatly from the enslavement of blacks is evidence of this.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Did the United States government send boats to Africa to buy slaves?
    Ever hear of the fugitive slave act?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #349
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is some truth to what you have said. I don't dispute that. But people usually ignore the fact that AA has had positive effects and in fact was very necessary to correct some of the effects of systemic racism in the US. And I would say, on the whole the positive effects of AA has been worth bearing with the negative effects.
    Which I have always said that affirmative action WAS necessary at a time that some people were barred from opportunity. It WAS necessary to break down cultural barriers and get more people used to the idea that the races did not have to be kept separate. There were black people who were just as eager not to mingle the races at that time too though they weren't so much a part of the cultural problem.'

    But those cultural barriers came down a half century ago. That war was won. And now we need to stop fighting it and allow there to be peace.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #350
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Who said the Jews deserved to be exterminated?

    The point is that, IN THE UNITED STATES, blacks have suffered far more abuse than Jews. The fact that Jews profited greatly from the enslavement of blacks is evidence of this.
    I twice mentioned about Jews being exterminated, and you responded both times about how Jews were involved in the black slave trade. Did you just post that to see your name in lights, or did you have another point? Because my post was about their extermination. Why don't you weigh in on that? I know. Because it doesn't fit into your posts here.

    Black suffered. Is this a history discussion, or are you looking for something in particular?

Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •