View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #241
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That may be so. But there are people that would question his credentials simply because he is black, even if there were no AA.

    maybe-but I have never heard bigots question the credentials of a Jewish Doctor or an Asian engineer because Jews don't' get AA into med schools, nor do Asians at Engineering schools



  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    maybe-but I have never heard bigots question the credentials of a Jewish Doctor or an Asian engineer because Jews don't' get AA into med schools, nor do Asians at Engineering schools
    Neither were Jews and Asians enslaved in such vast numbers and conditioned for generations to believe that they were inferior to whites.

  3. #243
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,758

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You should not put people in positions that cannot do the work. That is a mistake. If however, you have two applicants that can do the work, one white and one black, but you don't have any black representation or a shortage thereof, it's not unjust to hire the black guy, due to past discriminatory practices.
    I was thinking more in terms of educational situations.

    For example a college - they could provide remedial training for stuff that was not available to a disadvantaged person.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #244
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Neither were Jews and Asians enslaved in such vast numbers and conditioned for generations to believe that they were inferior to whites.
    nah Jews were just abused for 1000+ years and then subjected to the most horrific genocide in world history



  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    nah Jews were just abused for 1000+ years and then subjected to the most horrific genocide in world history
    Jews in the United States have not suffered the level of abuse that blacks in the United States have suffered.

  6. #246
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Jews in the United States have not suffered the level of abuse that blacks in the United States have suffered.
    what abuse have modern blacks suffered that is not mainly due to the pathologies of modern black culture.

    why did black illegitimacy skyrocket AFTER the CRA of 64 was passed? why did blacks living UNDER JIM CROW have far more stable families?

    why do 6% of the population (black males) commit more than half the murders?

    as I noted-perhaps before you joined this board, I went to a wealthy prep school that bent over backwards to attract qualified black kids-even some who weren't good athletes. One of those guys was a friend of mine-he sadly died of AIDS about 23 years ago. The school also had large numbers of Jewish and Asian/Indian kids. when my asian or Jewish friends made the honor role or were accepted into a top drawer college or program, the kid was honored by his family-often a party was thrown and all his friends would tell him what a good job he did. when Darrell was accepted into Williams with a full scholarship or when Darrell got the lead role in the big drama production, we all did the same for him but his neighborhood didn't. He told me how his peers in his neighborhood called him "uncle tom". Some kids asked him how he got into our prep school when "he couldn't even dunk".

    I was a municipal and then federal attorney for about three decades. Most of the problems blacks have these days aren't caused by "whitey" but is sure easier for "civil rights leaders" to whine about racism then it is for them to tell their followers to quit doing drugs, having 5 kids with 6 different men and dropping out of school

    and no, white guys who have never owned slaves or discriminated against blacks should not lose jobs or admissions to black guys with lower scores.



  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what abuse have modern blacks suffered that is not mainly due to the pathologies of modern black culture.

    why did black illegitimacy skyrocket AFTER the CRA of 64 was passed? why did blacks living UNDER JIM CROW have far more stable families?

    why do 6% of the population (black males) commit more than half the murders?

    as I noted-perhaps before you joined this board, I went to a wealthy prep school that bent over backwards to attract qualified black kids-even some who weren't good athletes. One of those guys was a friend of mine-he sadly died of AIDS about 23 years ago. The school also had large numbers of Jewish and Asian/Indian kids. when my asian or Jewish friends made the honor role or were accepted into a top drawer college or program, the kid was honored by his family-often a party was thrown and all his friends would tell him what a good job he did. when Darrell was accepted into Williams with a full scholarship or when Darrell got the lead role in the big drama production, we all did the same for him but his neighborhood didn't. He told me how his peers in his neighborhood called him "uncle tom". Some kids asked him how he got into our prep school when "he couldn't even dunk".

    I was a municipal and then federal attorney for about three decades. Most of the problems blacks have these days aren't caused by "whitey" but is sure easier for "civil rights leaders" to whine about racism then it is for them to tell their followers to quit doing drugs, having 5 kids with 6 different men and dropping out of school

    and no, white guys who have never owned slaves or discriminated against blacks should not lose jobs or admissions to black guys with lower scores.
    Look, I will be honest, I know what you are talking about with regards to the black culture thing. I really don't like it either. That's why, although I really should not have said it here, I have been very critical of both Beyonce and JayZ, because I think they play a role in perpetuating that type of behavior. And I really don't like having to say such things because I understand why they have done such.

    Having said that, the brutal truth of the matter is that there is still quite a bit of racism that exists in the United States. It would be there even if there was no AA. Because of that racism, AA still has a role to play.

  8. #248
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Look, I will be honest, I know what you are talking about with regards to the black culture thing. I really don't like it either. That's why, although I really should not have said it here, I have been very critical of both Beyonce and JayZ, because I think they play a role in perpetuating that type of behavior. And I really don't like having to say such things because I understand why they have done such.

    Having said that, the brutal truth of the matter is that there is still quite a bit of racism that exists in the United States. It would be there even if there was no AA. Because of that racism, AA still has a role to play.
    good post but I oppose affirmative action since I don't believe in group guilt or group rights

    if a black was discriminated against he or she can sue under Title VII. But don't tell my son that he shouldn't go to say OSU Honors programs because some black kid with lower scores deserves AA



  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    good post but I oppose affirmative action since I don't believe in group guilt or group rights

    if a black was discriminated against he or she can sue under Title VII. But don't tell my son that he shouldn't go to say OSU Honors programs because some black kid with lower scores deserves AA
    Fair enough. I understand your position.

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Powhatan County, VA.
    Last Seen
    08-01-14 @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    657

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Diversity increases the value of a university education and thus the quality of the school.
    But it doesn't reflect positively on the test score averages...

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •