View Poll Results: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 78.05%
  • No

    18 21.95%
  • What is affirmative action?

    0 0%
Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 517

Thread: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

  1. #211
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    those of the opposing view seem to have an entitlement mentality.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The point is that no blacks living in the USA or their parents have experienced enslavement, etc. . . . The nation ended that a very long time ago with many MANY Americans shedding their blood and risking all they had to end it.
    There are indeed many people alive today that were forced to attend segregated schools. There are indeed many people alive today that had to sit in separate waiting rooms when visiting the doctors office. There are indeed many people alive today who had to sit in the back of the bus. It wasn't that long ago, and many alive today remember it well.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And since then the American people, mostly all those eeeeeeevul white people, have ended segregation and implemented Affirmative Action to give a leg up to any who were disadvantaged by bad social policy.
    That is correct. Affirmative Action was implemented to give people a leg up who were indeed disadvantaged by bad social policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Those who have done extensive research on black Americans know that at some point following the Civil War, despite lingering racism, discrimination, and segregation, black people were the most rapidly advancing demographic economically right up to Johnson's Great Society initiatives that quite effectively stalled that advancement and in many cases put it into reverse. It was one of those good intentions producing unintended negative consequences things.
    So you want me to believe that the system of racial apartheid that was practiced in the South following the Civil War was responsible for the rapid advancement of blacks? Sorry, I'm not buying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But at any case, the war against racism, discrimination, and segregation has been won.
    Whoa! That's your problem right there. It has not been won, and you only need to read many of the racist responses on this site to see that the fight has not been won. Therefore AA is still needed.

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    those of the opposing view seem to have an entitlement mentality.
    No, it's just that you and others appear to believe the following false notion

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But at any case, the war against racism, discrimination, and segregation has been won.
    That, and some are just racist and hate blacks.

  4. #214
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There are indeed many people alive today that were forced to attend segregated schools. There are indeed many people alive today that had to sit in separate waiting rooms when visiting the doctors office. There are indeed many people alive today who had to sit in the back of the bus. It wasn't that long ago, and many alive today remember it well.



    That is correct. Affirmative Action was implemented to give people a leg up who were indeed disadvantaged by bad social policy.



    So you want me to believe that the system of racial apartheid that was practiced in the South following the Civil War was responsible for the rapid advancement of blacks? Sorry, I'm not buying that.



    Whoa! That's your problem right there. It has not been won, and you only need to read many of the racist responses on this site to see that the fight has not been won. Therefore AA is still needed.
    horsecrap. AA only creates disdain for blacks who get breaks over smarter or better qualified whites or asians. AA tends to substitute race for real disadvantage

    most of the black recipients of AA that I met in college or law school were upper middle class kids who often went to expensive private prep schools or affluent public schools and used the guarantee of AA to screw around in college knowing they would still beat out white kids with better grades and work ethics



  5. #215
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,571
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That, and some are just racist and hate blacks.
    It happens just as some are racist and hate whites. Or have their own derogatory notions about Christians or Jews or Puerto Ricans or Italians or Japanese or Eskimos. Likewise some resent the rich, blame the poor for their poverty, have contempt for strong women, sneer at effiminate men, think being gay is an abomination, and think all accordian players should be deported to some desert island. Just about everybody hates something.

    And you know what? We are ALL entitled to what we love and what we hate so long as we don't violate anybody else's rights.

    But for sure racism will continue alive and well as long as public and government policy requires us to be color conscious and separate out a particular racial group for special privileges or benefits or deference or opportunity or sensitivity because they are considered incapable of making it otherwise. It is only when we are allowed to treat all people equally will the color of somebody's skin have any chance to be of no more importance than eye color or hair color.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #216
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Absolutely they are. So is the NAACP. So are black television channels and black magazines. Anything that focuses on one race over others is racist. Full stop.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    horsecrap. AA only creates disdain for blacks who get breaks over smarter or better qualified whites or asians. AA tends to substitute race for real disadvantage

    most of the black recipients of AA that I met in college or law school were upper middle class kids who often went to expensive private prep schools or affluent public schools and used the guarantee of AA to screw around in college knowing they would still beat out white kids with better grades and work ethics
    If you want to talk "I met" stories, I met this guy and talked to him personally at length. Never met a more brilliant physicist

    Meredith C. Gourdine - GHN: IEEE Global History Network

    That guy had designed and patented an inkjet printer before anyone even knew what they were. He told me how corporate America operates, how people would steal his ideas, make some small modifications and then make money off of it. If he had been white, there is no telling how far he would have gotten.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    It happens just as some are racist and hate whites. Or have their own derogatory notions about Christians or Jews or Puerto Ricans or Italians or Japanese or Eskimos. Likewise some resent the rich, blame the poor for their poverty, have contempt for strong women, sneer at effiminate men, think being gay is an abomination, and think all accordian players should be deported to some desert island. Just about everybody hates something.

    And you know what? We are ALL entitled to what we love and what we hate so long as we don't violate anybody else's rights.

    But for sure racism will continue alive and well as long as public and government policy requires us to be color conscious and separate out a particular racial group for special privileges or benefits or deference or opportunity or sensitivity because they are considered incapable of making it otherwise. It is only when we are allowed to treat all people equally will the color of somebody's skin have any chance to be of no more importance than eye color or hair color.
    Even if there was no AA, some whites would still hate blacks and practice discriminatory hiring practices to the detriment of blacks.

  9. #219
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If you want to talk "I met" stories, I met this guy and talked to him personally at length. Never met a more brilliant physicist

    Meredith C. Gourdine - GHN: IEEE Global History Network

    That guy had designed and patented an inkjet printer before anyone even knew what they were. He told me how corporate America operates, how people would steal his ideas, make some small modifications and then make money off of it. If he had been white, there is no telling how far he would have gotten.
    that has no relevance to the point I made.



  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Affirmative Action programs racist?[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that has no relevance to the point I made.
    Yes it does. It means that there have been and are very qualified blacks who have been screwed around because of racial discrimination.

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •