View Poll Results: Does the world owe you something for being born

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • World owes me nothing

    24 88.89%
  • World owes me at least the basics of life

    3 11.11%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Does the world owe you anything

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Does the world owe you anything

    I was raised that the world does not owe you a thing so get out there and work for what you want. Others seem to have been raised to feel that they are owed something simply because they were born. This debate on health care is a good example of that. My feeling is that if you want health care then get a job and buy insurance while others think you deserve health care just because. I don't get it.

  2. #2
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    The world doesn't owe anyone anything.

    The world was here first.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,697

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I was raised that the world does not owe you a thing so get out there and work for what you want. Others seem to have been raised to feel that they are owed something simply because they were born. This debate on health care is a good example of that. My feeling is that if you want health care then get a job and buy insurance while others think you deserve health care just because. I don't get it.
    The world doesn't but a guy named "Curly" owes me $20 since 1982 and if I ever see him he's in big trouble!

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,138

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    The world doesn't owe me a thing.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    The world doesn't owe anyone anything at all.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I was raised that the world does not owe you a thing so get out there and work for what you want. Others seem to have been raised to feel that they are owed something simply because they were born. This debate on health care is a good example of that. My feeling is that if you want health care then get a job and buy insurance while others think you deserve health care just because. I don't get it.
    I think the real issue is those who came before believing those who come after owe THEM a living.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #7
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,240

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    It owes me an explanation!
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I was raised that the world does not owe you a thing so get out there and work for what you want. Others seem to have been raised to feel that they are owed something simply because they were born. This debate on health care is a good example of that. My feeling is that if you want health care then get a job and buy insurance while others think you deserve health care just because. I don't get it.
    There are levels of "owing" someone something. Like parents owe their child a safe and healthy upbringing at the very least. Spouses owe each other fidelity, cooperation, compromise, etc. Children owe their parents a safe and healthy end of life care. The government owes its people their inalienable rights. The people owe its government not to be a terrorist, spy, etc. People owe each other the confines of the social contract.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    There are levels of "owing" someone something. Like parents owe their child a safe and healthy upbringing at the very least. Spouses owe each other fidelity, cooperation, compromise, etc. Children owe their parents a safe and healthy end of life care. The government owes its people their inalienable rights. The people owe its government not to be a terrorist, spy, etc. People owe each other the confines of the social contract.
    Is there a social clontract where someone can sit around doing nothing and expect the rest of us to take care of him or her?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Does the world owe you anything

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The world doesn't owe anyone anything.

    The world was here first.
    the world is the people the earth is the rock.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •