View Poll Results: Have Feminists Been Used By Corporations To Exploit Women For Profit?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 47.83%
  • No

    12 52.17%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 185

Thread: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?[W:29]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?[W:29]

    Edward Bernays, the father of modern propaganda, was famous for his Torches of Freedom march. Basically, Bernays was hired by the big tobacco companies to get women to smoke so the companies could increase their profits by selling women cigarettes. To accomplish this, Bernays got prominent women, who were involved in the campaign for women's rights, to organize a giant march of women cigarettes, as a symbol of their freedom.

    The Museum of Public Relations

    By the mid-1920s smoking had become commonplace in the United States and cigarette tobacco was the most popular form of tobacco consumption. At the same time women had just won the right to vote, widows were succeeding their husbands as governors of such states as Texas and Wyoming, and more were attending college and entering the workforce. While women seemed to be making great strides in certain areas, socially they still were not able to achieve the same equality as their male counterparts. Women were only permitted to smoke in the privacy of their own homes. Public opinion and certain legislation at the time did not permit women to smoke in public, and in 1922 a woman from New York City was arrested for lighting a cigarette on the street.

    George Washington Hill, president of the American Tobacco Company and an eccentric businessman, recognized that an important part of his market was not being tapped into. Hill believed that cigarette sales would soar if he could entice more women to smoke in public.

    In 1928 Hill hired Bernays to expand the sales of his Lucky Strike cigarettes. Recognizing that women were still riding high on the suffrage movement, Bernays used this as the basis for his new campaign. He consulted Dr. A.A. Brill, a psychoanalyst, to find the psychological basis for womens smoking. Dr. Brill determined that cigarettes which were usually equated with men, represented torches of freedom for women. The event caused a national stir and stories appeared in newspapers throughout the country. Though not doing away with the taboo completely, Bernays's efforts had a lasting effect on women smoking.
    It appears that the rise in feminism can be traced to the desire by corporations to exploit women for profit.

    So the question is, have feminists been used by corporations to exploit women to increase corporate profit?

  2. #2
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Has MildSteel been exploited as a shill by the mental health industry, as a fundraising initiative?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    the only feminists I have met were mean,fat,ugly,old, lesbian women with butch haircuts. A normal pretty woman doesn't have to be a feminist to get what she wants. All she has to do is smile.

  4. #4
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Edward Bernays, the father of modern propaganda, was famous for his Torches of Freedom march. Basically, Bernays was hired by the big tobacco companies to get women to smoke so the companies could increase their profits by selling women cigarettes. To accomplish this, Bernays got prominent women, who were involved in the campaign for women's rights, to organize a giant march of women cigarettes, as a symbol of their freedom.

    The Museum of Public Relations



    It appears that the rise in feminism can be traced to the desire by corporations to exploit women for profit.

    So the question is, have feminists been used by corporations to exploit women to increase corporate profit?
    So - after women's suffrage, winning the right to use birth control, and being able to become things such as governors of states such a s Texas.

    Look at marketing history: corporations will exploit anyone and anything to make a few sales. It's called marketing.

    I guarantee you just as many - if not more - products have been marketed to men to further sales.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #5
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by 24107 View Post
    the only feminists I have met were mean,fat,ugly,old, lesbian women with butch haircuts. A normal pretty woman doesn't have to be a feminist to get what she wants. All she has to do is smile.
    That's a reflection of you, not feminists. I think that's obvious. What kind of an educated, enlightened feminist would have anything to do with the likes of someone who thinks women only need smile to get what they want. Your attitude and ignorance is an effective repellent. Only the most repugnant (and ignorant) would bother with such crap. Consider yourself justly ostracized.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 05-01-14 at 08:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - after women's suffrage, winning the right to use birth control, and being able to become things such as governors of states such a s Texas.

    Look at marketing history: corporations will exploit anyone and anything to make a few sales. It's called marketing.

    I guarantee you just as many - if not more - products have been marketed to men to further sales.
    There is no doubt that corporations target men. But you can't deny that corporations have used the issue of women's rights and used some of the leaders to exploit women for the sake of corporate profit.

  7. #7
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    I want equal rights, and I will take a corporate check for saying so. I like money and freedom.

  8. #8
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I want equal rights, and I will take a corporate check for saying so. I like money and freedom.
    <--- Jelly

  9. #9
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There is no doubt that corporations target men. But you can't deny that corporations have used the issue of women's rights and used some of the leaders to exploit women for the sake of corporate profit.
    Dude, everyone was exploited by cigarettes. What does this have to do with feminism?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's a reflection of you, not feminists. I think that's obvious. What kind of an educated, enlightened feminist would have anything to do with the likes of someone who thinks women only need smile to get what they want. Your attitude and ignorance is an effective repellent. Only the most repugnant (and ignorant) would bother with such crap. Consider yourself justly ostracized.
    O I seen the women you date. You should get yourself tested.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •