View Poll Results: Have Feminists Been Used By Corporations To Exploit Women For Profit?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 47.83%
  • No

    12 52.17%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 185

Thread: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?[W:29]

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    In my opinion such a law would be unjust and therefore immoral. It's not reasonable to expect all businesses to always be profitable. Business is usually a matter of winning more than you lose over a given period of time.
    You may need to read up on this topic:

    eBay v. Newmark: Al Franken Was Right, Corporations Are Legally Required To Maximize Profits

    Source: Corporations Are Required By Law To Maximize Profits | eBay v. Newmark | Senator Al Franken

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    You may need to read up on this topic:
    That was indeed interesting. However, I think that requiring a for profit business to be profitable is different from the notion that a corporation should do everything it legally can to maximize profits. The later issue is more complicated because it's possible that such a law could be used to protect shareholders from the misuse of their invested funds. But in my opinion, on the surface of it, that law should probably be written better. But honestly I would need to research the issue more to really be able to say something about it.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,131

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Edward Bernays, the father of modern propaganda, was famous for his Torches of Freedom march. Basically, Bernays was hired by the big tobacco companies to get women to smoke so the companies could increase their profits by selling women cigarettes. To accomplish this, Bernays got prominent women, who were involved in the campaign for women's rights, to organize a giant march of women cigarettes, as a symbol of their freedom.

    The Museum of Public Relations



    It appears that the rise in feminism can be traced to the desire by corporations to exploit women for profit.

    So the question is, have feminists been used by corporations to exploit women to increase corporate profit?
    Corporations exploit everyone they can, it's kind of their bag. Right now they exploit near slave labor and no environmental protections from China.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That was indeed interesting. However, I think that requiring a for profit business to be profitable is different from the notion that a corporation should do everything it legally can to maximize profits. The later issue is more complicated because it's possible that such a law could be used to protect shareholders from the misuse of their invested funds. But in my opinion, on the surface of it, that law should probably be written better. But honestly I would need to research the issue more to really be able to say something about it.
    That is ok; the relevance was for this line of reasoning i am arguing:

    How do you view any legal requirement for a for-profit Firm to make a profit. It could be viewed as that form of (capital) moral right, versus a (capital) moral wrong in being repugnant to making a profit, potentially, through "poor life choices".

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Corporations exploit everyone they can, it's kind of their bag. Right now they exploit near slave labor and no environmental protections from China.
    What is interesting in the instance of feminism is that it appears to have advocated ideals like freedom, and the empowerment of women, without actually having put much thought into what exactly it meant to be free and empowered. Driven by a subconscious disdain for men, it blindly thrashes about seeking freedom from any type of constraints that might be imposed by men, while at the same time only having those constraints to use as weapons. It therefore escapes one type of trap only to be ensnared by a trap that is much more sophisticated. That's what is very interesting about the saga of feminism.

  6. #156
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,404

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    A couple of things are of interest

    1. Although feminism was not invented by corporations, it's rise and widespread influence were facilitated by corporations that wanted to associated feminism with products in order to exploit women for profit, not necessarily to promote feminism.

    2. Although feminism has rejected the objectification of women, it has nonetheless participated in such objectification through lending the use of the association of feminism itself with that objectification.
    Yes...like every rugged individual drives a truck, smoke Marlboro cigs (if he smokes), and owns a gun. Every free thinker owns an apple product and drives a Prius.

    It's marketing...that's what they do..they objectify movements where using/owning a brand is what makes you part of a movement/culture
    What you posted was interesting but it's not like it's uncommon for virtually every segment of society.
    “People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”
    *Adam Smith*

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Yes...like every rugged individual drives a truck, smoke Marlboro cigs (if he smokes), and owns a gun. Every free thinker owns an apple product and drives a Prius.

    It's marketing...that's what they do..they objectify movements where using/owning a brand is what makes you part of a movement/culture
    What you posted was interesting but it's not like it's uncommon for virtually every segment of society.
    Is there a group of rugged individuals that is advocating independence and empowerment for rugged individuals and complains about the objectification of rugged individuals, but at the same time allows the concept of rugged individualism itself to be exploited such that rugged individuals who buy trucks are made to believe that they are independent and empowered?

  8. #158
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,404

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Is there a group of rugged individuals that is advocating independence and empowerment for rugged individuals and complains about the objectification of rugged individuals, but at the same time allows the concept of rugged individualism itself to be exploited such that rugged individuals who buy trucks are made to believe that they are independent and empowered?
    There are two different aspects we're talking about.

    One is the actual feminist movement. Women that accomplished real objectives and changed the role of women in the workplace/classroom/home etc.

    There's no doubt that has occurred. How rare is a young female doctor now-a-days?

    That's different than a woman wanting to be perceived as a "modern woman". That's what Virginia Slims was doing. "This is what the modern feminist woman smokes".

    There's no doubt they may of made is "cool" through ads or popularized the image. I don't agree with the idea it's exploitation or it's unique from most advertising.
    “People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”
    *Adam Smith*

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    There are two different aspects we're talking about.

    One is the actual feminist movement. Women that accomplished real objectives and changed the role of women in the workplace/classroom/home etc.

    There's no doubt that has occurred. How rare is a young female doctor now-a-days?

    That's different than a woman wanting to be perceived as a "modern woman". That's what Virginia Slims was doing. "This is what the modern feminist woman smokes".

    There's no doubt they may of made is "cool" through ads or popularized the image. I don't agree with the idea it's exploitation or it's unique from most advertising.
    No, cigarette manufacturers have exploited feminism itself for the sake of selling cigarettes. Bernays, Torches of Freedom march is a clear example of that. Torches of freedom, in other words smoking cigarettes will give you freedom. That was the whole point of the matter. Bernays contacted a psychoanalyst and that's where he got the idea. That's clear exploitation of feminism. Not only that, but the corporations have used feminist themselves to assist them. Ruth Hale, a prominent feminist, encouraged women to light of a torch of freedom. It's clear exploitation. No doubt about it.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    It is very sad that the leaders of the feminist movement have allowed feminism to be used as a prostitute for the sake of increasing corporate profits. In the process, instead of empowering and freeing women in general, they have merely made them corporate slaves at best or unemployed single moms, dependent on the welfare state at worse.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •