View Poll Results: Have Feminists Been Used By Corporations To Exploit Women For Profit?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 47.83%
  • No

    12 52.17%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 185

Thread: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?[W:29]

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    You seem to have a limited view of morals.

    Capital based morality for a price is more real than Faith in social morals for free.
    A system of morals attempts to make value judgements with regards to what is right and what is wrong. And what I am saying is that what is right to capital is what makes more capital, not what is right or wrong. And I gave an example to illustrate how this is true. Now you may say that what is right is relative, and if you say that, then I will say that morals have no real meaning and your assertion that capital based morality is more real is also meaningless.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    A system of morals attempts to make value judgements with regards to what is right and what is wrong. And what I am saying is that what is right to capital is what makes more capital, not what is right or wrong. And I gave an example to illustrate how this is true. Now you may say that what is right is relative, and if you say that, then I will say that morals have no real meaning and your assertion that capital based morality is more real is also meaningless.
    Why do you believe there is no "feedback mechanism" in capitalism between "right and wrong"?

  3. #103
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Of course they do - anytime a product is designed for men or can be sold to men they will target men. They identify "Men who do home improvement" as their demographic and then - wham. We have a macho-male geared commercial string.

    Shaving cream, body wash, power tools, trucks, fast food, soda, candy - I mean, the list goes on forever and ever.

    Watch any commercials lately? Gender is often exploited. Marketing plain and simple. Common place - funny - entertaining - sexist - whatever. It sells products.
    What you said is that corporations have marketed more to men then women, not that products are marketed to men. I would obviously have to agree if that is what you said.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Why do you believe there is no "feedback mechanism" in capitalism between "right and wrong"?
    Because the accumulation of capital is based on lust, anger, and greed, which can never be satisfied. A person whose mind is under the influence of these forces cannot possibly properly differentiate right and wrong. As a result, capital is to morals, what a black hole is to mass. Once the notion of morals is under the influence of capital, it is sucked in and can never escape to provide feedback. It disappears into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Because the accumulation of capital is based on lust, anger, and greed, which can never be satisfied. A person whose mind is under the influence of these forces cannot possibly properly differentiate right and wrong. As a result, capital is to morals, what a black hole is to mass. Once the notion of morals is under the influence of capital, it is sucked in and can never escape to provide feedback. It disappears into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again.
    I still believe you have a limited view of morals. Capitalism has to do with profit as a motive. no profit may equal bad capital based morals.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    I still believe you have a limited view of morals. Capitalism has to do with profit as a motive. no profit may equal bad capital based morals.
    I think I understand what you are saying. However, my response is still that capital cannot be a basis for morality because of it's profit motive, which ultimately is based on the lust, anger, and greed that is in humans. And again, why I say this is that such a capital based system of morals can determine that it is right to kill innocent people, if that is what is "good" for profits. And that is simply not true. It is not right to kill innocent people for the sake of profit. Now you may say that is because of the use of a system with a different moral basis. And again, I will say that if morality is that relative, then such morality is meaningless.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 05-04-14 at 05:41 PM.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying. However, my response is still that capital cannot be a basis for morality because of it's profit motive, which ultimately is based on the lust, anger, and greed that is in humans. And again, why I say this is that such a capital based system of morals can determine that it is right to kill innocent people, if that is what is "good" for profits. And that is simply not true. It is not right to kill people for the sake of profit. Now you may say that is because of the use of a system with a different moral base. And again, I will say that if morality is that relative, then such morality is meaningless.
    You may be confusing social morals with capital morals.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    You may be confusing social morals with capital morals.
    No I'm not. I just don't believe that a system of morals can be constructed with capital as its basis, because any attempt to do so, renders the notion of right and wrong meaningless. This is because right and wrong can then mean anything, thus meaning nothing.

  9. #109
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I agree with what you have said here with two exceptions. I don't think feminists have a goal to tear apart the family,
    You have not paid attention to some of the most prominent feminists. In their own words:

    Robin Morgan:
    Is an American poet, author, political theorist and activist, journalist, lecturer, and former child actor. Since the early 1960s she has been a key radical feminist member of the American Women's Movement, and a leader in the international feminist movement. Her 1970 anthology Sisterhood Is Powerful has been widely credited with helping to start the second wave feminist movement in the US, and was cited by the New York Public Library as "One of the 100 most influential Books of the 20th Century," along with those of Sigmund Freud and Karl Marx. She has written more than 20 books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, and is also known as the editor of Ms. Magazine.

    “I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honourable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.” – Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor
    Valerie Solanas:

    Was an American radical feminist writer who is best known for her assassination attempt on artist Andy Warhol. Born in New Jersey, Solanas after her parents' divorce had a volatile relationship with her mother and stepfather, as a teenager. As a consequence, she was sent to live with her grandparents. Her alcoholic grandfather physically abused her and Solanas ran away and became homeless. She came out as a lesbian in the 1950s. She graduated with a degree in psychology from the University of Maryland, College Park. Solanas relocated to Berkeley, California. There, she began writing her most notable work, the SCUM Manifesto, which urged women to "overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and eliminate the male sex."
    “To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.”
    -– Valerie Solanas

    Andrea Dworkin:

    was an American radical feminist and writer best known for her criticism of pornography, which she argued was linked to rape and other forms of violence against women. An anti-war activist and anarchist in the late 1960s, Dworkin wrote 10 books on radical feminist theory and practice. During the late 1970s and the 1980s, she gained national fame as a spokeswoman for the feminist anti-pornography movement, and for her writing on pornography and sexuality, particularly in Pornography: Men Possessing Women (1981) and Intercourse (1987), which remain her two most widely known books.

    “I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig.” — Andrea Dworkin
    Susan Brownmiller:

    is an American feminist journalist, author, and activist best known for her 1975 book Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape. Brownmiller argues that rape had been hitherto defined by men rather than women, and that men use, and all men benefit from the use of, rape as a means of perpetuating male dominance by keeping all women in a state of fear. In 1995, the New York Public Library selected Against Our Will as one of 100 most important books of the Twentieth Century.

    “Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear” — Susan Brownmiller
    And many more quotes below:

    “The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men.” — Sharon Stone
    “In a patriarchal society, all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent.” — Catherine MacKinnon
    “The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.” — Sally Miller Gearhart
    “Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience.” – Catherine Comins
    “All men are rapists and that’s all they are” — Marilyn French
    “Probably the only place where a man can feel really secure is in a maximum security prison, except for the imminent threat of release.” — Germaine Greer.
    If these quotes are not convincing enough, all that is needed is to check out the curriculum taught in most major colleges in women's studies programs. It is so ingrained into western society now that there are college courses that teach women how to be proper man haters.


    neither do I think that the destruction of the family is a corporate dream. Having said that, feminists, in order to achieve their goal of independence for women, have been used by corporations such that women, instead of becoming independent, have merely substituted one type of dependency for another. And that has led to the erosion of the family. Not only that but they have been mislead by corporations into believing that the consumption of corporate commodities is itself is empowering and liberating when in fact, the opposite is true. With regards to corporations, they don't care about anything except making money. And if the destruction of the family is a by product of that, they don't care. As far as they are concerned that's just tough, it's life, too bad.
    Corporations were drooling at the mouth when the women's rights movement started. They realized that they no longer had to advertise chivalry in order to get men to spend money on a womans behalf. Now they could advertise that as well as advertise directly to women. Which is why women control 80% of the consumer spending. Men still spend money on women in order to get them in bed, while women spend money on themselves in order to get men to spend more money on them.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Have Feminists Been Used To Exploit Women For Corporate Profit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No I'm not. I just don't believe that a system of morals can be constructed with capital as its basis, because any attempt to do so, renders the notion of right and wrong meaningless. This is because right and wrong can then mean anything, thus meaning nothing.
    Why can't capitalism establish capital based morality? Right and wrong are as subjective as the value system that creates them.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •