View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #61
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    God is a person?
    In my mind...yes. Regardless....whether people believe God is a "spirit" or a "supernatural presence" or "environmental power"....the same principle holds. Even if you don't believe in God at all.....who is the government to decide when it is time for someone to die?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #62
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The only person who should decide whether a person lives or dies is God. Even a convicted killer should die in God's time, not the government's.
    Which god? What reason do you have to believe in its existence?

    If none, terrible legal standard for a secular government.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    In my mind...yes. Regardless....whether people believe God is a "spirit" or a "supernatural presence" or "environmental power"....the same principle holds. Even if you don't believe in God at all.....who is the government to decide when it is time for someone to die?
    Its us, society.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    WRONG. There are other reasons to have the death penalty. Just because you can't fathom one does not mean it is about revenge.
    Agreed. If the data showed that the DP actually reduced murder, I would support it. But if the only reason to use the DP is to remove a threat from society, then life in jail should do the same.

    And if it doesnt prevent crime, then I do see it as a) very costly and b) based on a need for vengeance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,904

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    who is the government to decide when it is time for someone to die?
    The government represents the people's views in matters such as this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The government represents the people's views in matters such as this...
    Well, they're supposed to. Unfortunately, that's not how things actually work today.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #66
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Which god? What reason do you have to believe in its existence?

    If none, terrible legal standard for a secular government.



    Its us, society.
    Society is comprised of many different views...the problem with Capital Punishment is that the government puts the decision of whether a person lives or dies in the hands of 12 people. Kind of a ridiculous proposition in my view.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #67
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The government represents the people's views in matters such as this...
    No it doesn't....it represents the views of 12 people. This might be ok when determining guilt or innocence in a criminal trial, it is a much different proposition when the government is deciding whether to kill someone.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #68
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,904

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Agreed. If the data showed that the DP actually reduced murder, I would support it. But if the only reason to use the DP is to remove a threat from society, then life in jail should do the same.

    And if it doesnt prevent crime, then I do see it as a) very costly and b) based on a need for vengeance.
    The DP isn't designed to reduce murder... though that is a by-product.

    a) costs can be reduced by using more simple methods of killing
    b) although some may want the DP as vengeance that does not make the DP about vengeance. It is a consequence plain and simple.

    ...and life in prison does not remove the threat from society. Prison is in our society and guards and other inmates can be affected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #69
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    WRONG. There are other reasons to have the death penalty. Just because you can't fathom one does not mean it is about revenge.
    There are no legitimate reasons to have a death penalty. The only possible one is vengence....although I would argue that this is not a legitimate reason.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #70
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I am all for the death penalty. I do not care how it is carried out, but I would prefer the Guillotine. No worries, just swish. I think we worry way too much how someone who killed another person or many people, who may have made them suffer tremendously whether the means of execution will case the perp to suffer some.

    I also am not worried if the death penalty is a deterrent or not. what the death penalty does is guarantee that whoever receives it will not commit another murder or a bunch of murders.
    You must be a reincarnation of times past when it was cool to cheer, clap, bring your kids and have a picnic all the while watching people be beheaded. Are you a fan of disembowelment, too?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •