View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #521
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,221

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    REALLY?! You'd rather be put to death than spend even one day in prison? I think you are being silly.
    Not one day, but certainly any long period of time. And it doesn't matter what you think, I think you're being silly too, that doesn't mean a thing, does it. It matters what you can demonstrate rationally, not your opinions.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #522
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,072

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Not one day, but certainly any long period of time. And it doesn't matter what you think, I think you're being silly too, that doesn't mean a thing, does it. It matters what you can demonstrate rationally, not your opinions.
    Well if the convicted wishes to take your easy way out then they will find a way. Unless they are severely depressed, I believe most individuals would prefer life with hope over death with no hope.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  3. #523
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    There's a case in Texas where a guy shot a lady in the face at an ATM then raped her, claiming she wanted it (after being shot in the face mind you) and murdered her. I have trouble understanding why anyone would want anything less than death for that guy.
    It's not about whether or not they deserve death, because oftentimes they do. The debate's about the government's right to decide the life of its own citizens. In my opinion, if one innocent person is wrongly put to death, then the government no longer has the moral authority to take the life of any Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  4. #524
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,066

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    It's not about whether or not they deserve death, because oftentimes they do. The debate's about the government's right to decide the life of its own citizens. In my opinion, if one innocent person is wrongly put to death, then the government no longer has the moral authority to take the life of any Americans.
    Do you apply that to all crimes? If just one person has been wrongly imprisoned there's no moral authority any more to put anyone else in prison ever?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #525
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,824

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Do you apply that to all crimes? If just one person has been wrongly imprisoned there's no moral authority any more to put anyone else in prison ever?
    Personally, I think that, at the least, the required proof and evidence of a crime must be extremely complete before I would consider supporting the death penalty - if there is a chance that the person is innocent, death is an unacceptable option.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #526
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Do you apply that to all crimes? If just one person has been wrongly imprisoned there's no moral authority any more to put anyone else in prison ever?
    For one, an erroneous prison sentence can be corrected, while a misapplied capital punishment cannot.

    If the government needlessly kills an innocent American citizen, how can it claim any moral authority over that of the murderers they are supposed to be punishing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #527
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,066

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Personally, I think that, at the least, the required proof and evidence of a crime must be extremely complete before I would consider supporting the death penalty - if there is a chance that the person is innocent, death is an unacceptable option.
    Well, in the case I mentioned earlier, there was video from the ATM not to mention DNA and the confession. There's a synopsis of the case here.

    Texas Execution Information - Report: William Berkley

    He went from trial to dead in about eight years which is quite quick. Can't say I shed one single tear over him. I do, however, sometimes think what it must have been like for the girl who was ultimately dumped on the road like garbage.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #528
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,824

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, in the case I mentioned earlier, there was video from the ATM not to mention DNA and the confession. There's a synopsis of the case here.

    Texas Execution Information - Report: William Berkley

    He went from trial to dead in about eight years which is quite quick. Can't say I shed one single tear over him. I do, however, sometimes think what it must have been like for the girl who was ultimately dumped on the road like garbage.
    From the sounds of things that case isn't one I would consider questionable.

    Mainly due to the DNA test.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #529
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,131

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Do you apply that to all crimes? If just one person has been wrongly imprisoned there's no moral authority any more to put anyone else in prison ever?
    It's essentially the basis of our system. The individual is assumed innocent and the government must prove the case. Of course if you apply the "if just one person" argument to the whole, it will fail. But the death penalty deals with government sanctioned killing of its own people, and perhaps on that we can have stronger restrictions.

    Overall, the DP is not necessary in today's world. It's expensive both in terms of money and life. We keep finding innocent people on death row, etc. In this case, it is worth getting rid of because by eliminating the death penalty, you put society at no greater risk than before.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #530
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,821

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is besides the point. The point is that he had bad legal representation during a death penalty trial because he was poor and could not afford it. Are you seriously stating that none of this matters to you as long as people can still get the death penalty? What kind of priorities are these?
    And they were excusing his act because of his childhood! (or attempting to). Na huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •