View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #381
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    It summed up your perspective perfectly.
    At least I have an argument other than kill, kill, kill!

  2. #382
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Of course it is a part of society. Members of society work there. Come and go. Etc. To think otherwise is literally idiotic. They are separate from most of society but they are still a part of it no matter how small a part of it. There is not some magical veil or alternate reality that separates the two.
    No it isn't Bodi, hence the bars and the no freedom.

  3. #383
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,000

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No it isn't Bodi, hence the bars and the no freedom.
    Chris... a prison is a part of society. Why you argue against this is beyond me. A prison is simply a part of society that falls under the state's jurisdiction. It is as much a part of society as a monastery is. There are parts of air ports that are locked to the public, have locks on them, etc and it is still a part of society.

    so·ci·e·ty noun \sə-ˈsī-ə-tē\
    : people in general thought of as living together in organized communities with shared laws, traditions, and values
    : the people of a particular country, area, time, etc., thought of especially as an organized community


    Society - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    If the prison were isolated on an island in a distinct place or on the moon then it probably wouldn't be a part of the society... but as most prisons are just in a different part of town they are a part of society. A prison is of a particular country, area, time. A prison is a part of organized communities with shared laws, traditions, and values. A prison has workers that go in and out of the prison on a daily basis to homes and other jobs that are equally a part of society.

    You are letting the common term: Remover them from society... to mean everything. It doesn't literally mean remove them from society but rather to isolate them from other members of society in a more secure manner so as to effectively not have to worry about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #384
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Chris... a prison is a part of society. Why you argue against this is beyond me. A prison is simply a part of society that falls under the state's jurisdiction. It is as much a part of society as a monastery is. There are parts of air ports that are locked to the public, have locks on them, etc and it is still a part of society.

    so·ci·e·ty noun \sə-ˈsī-ə-tē\
    : people in general thought of as living together in organized communities with shared laws, traditions, and values
    : the people of a particular country, area, time, etc., thought of especially as an organized community


    Society - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    If the prison were isolated on an island in a distinct place or on the moon then it probably wouldn't be a part of the society... but as most prisons are just in a different part of town they are a part of society. A prison is of a particular country, area, time. A prison is a part of organized communities with shared laws, traditions, and values. A prison has workers that go in and out of the prison on a daily basis to homes and other jobs that are equally a part of society.

    You are letting the common term: Remover them from society... to mean everything. It doesn't literally mean remove them from society but rather to isolate them from other members of society in a more secure manner so as to effectively not have to worry about them.
    No, people in monasteries are free to go if they so choose. That's not quite the same with prisoners. They lose their freedom and are separated from "regular" society. Happy?

  5. #385
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    At least I have an argument other than kill, kill, kill!
    That is not my argument. But in cases where horrific crimes have been committed (child rape/murder, serial killers, etc), absolutely. What is your solution?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    That is not my argument. But in cases where horrific crimes have been committed (child rape/murder, serial killers, etc), absolutely. What is your solution?
    As much as I would like to see some of those people die, I think that LWOP is a perfectly fine alternative. There are numerous reasons why too, such as costs, the risk of killing innocent people, how it's arbitrarily applied from state to state. There have also been racial disparities found, evidence tampering, prosecutorial misconduct and outright lying among other things that have happened.

  7. #387
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,000

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, people in monasteries are free to go if they so choose. That's not quite the same with prisoners. They lose their freedom and are separated from "regular" society. Happy?
    Not yet. I am stating the "prisons" are a part of society. Prisoners are a part of that society... though more limited. Non-criminals are free to come and go to and from prisons and many prisoners themselves are able to come and go as well for chain-gangs, clean-up duty, house arrest, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #388
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not yet. I am stating the "prisons" are a part of society. Prisoners are a part of that society... though more limited. Non-criminals are free to come and go to and from prisons and many prisoners themselves are able to come and go as well for chain-gangs, clean-up duty, house arrest, etc.
    Chain gangs are illegal now because of "political correctness" but that's another story. Anyhow, no prison is much different than being free out in society. We have prisons to separate dangerous people from the rest of us.

  9. #389
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    For. But with conditions.

  10. #390
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,000

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Chain gangs are illegal now because of "political correctness" but that's another story. Anyhow, no prison is much different than being free out in society. We have prisons to separate dangerous people from the rest of us.
    No, they are not illegal. Political Correctness is not a law either...

    Several jurisdictions in the United States have re-introduced prison labor. In recent years, Maricopa County, Arizona, which includes Phoenix, Arizona, and its Sheriff Joe Arpaio, have drawn attention from human rights groups for the use of chain gangs for both men and women.

    Chain gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    With regards to the rest I know that you understand and accept what I am saying it is just that you want to save face...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •