View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #361
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Damn straight I do and anyone who doesn't is a fool.
    Spending time in prison for a few years is not the same as dying. Although you'll never get back those years, it is possible to recover your life and dignity, whereas you cannot do so after having been executed.

    At the very least, executions should be made as painless as possible to ensure that the inevitably sentenced innocent do not suffer a needlessly torturous death.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #362
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Spending time in prison for a few years is not the same as dying. Although you'll never get back those years, it is possible to recover your life and dignity, whereas you cannot do so after having been executed.
    I'm much more concerned with the health and wellbeing of society than any individual.

    At the very least, executions should be made as painless as possible to ensure that the inevitably sentenced innocent do not suffer a needlessly torturous death.
    I will entirely agree with you there. Heck, I'm all for pumping them full of tranquilizers and using a guillotine, at least we can harvest all of the organs, including the corneas, and get something worthwhile out of the pile of human trash.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #363
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm much more concerned with the health and wellbeing of society than any individual.
    What benefits to society of the death penalty outweigh the cost of the destruction of the lives of the innocent? If the justice system becomes an instrument of wanton murder, then how is it offsetting the negative effects presented by non-state-sponsored murderers?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    What benefits to society of the death penalty outweigh the cost of the destruction of the lives of the innocent? If the justice system becomes an instrument of wanton murder, then how is it offsetting the negative effects presented by non-state-sponsored murderers?
    Hate to say it, but individuals have virtually no importance to society at all. Sure, there are some exceptions, but if someone gets gunned down in the street, their death has no bearing whatsoever to the actual health of society. What does matter though is the act that was performed, it is a crime, not only against the individual, but against the society and society has every right to punish that individual for violating society's laws. Of course, we ought to do everything that we possibly can to only execute those who are factually guilty of a crime and in those places where we fail, we need to learn lessons so that we don't make that mistake again. This is why emotion is very bad for society as a whole, it gets in the way of rational punishment.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #365
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hate to say it, but individuals have virtually no importance to society at all. Sure, there are some exceptions, but if someone gets gunned down in the street, their death has no bearing whatsoever to the actual health of society. What does matter though is the act that was performed, it is a crime, not only against the individual, but against the society and society has every right to punish that individual for violating society's laws. Of course, we ought to do everything that we possibly can to only execute those who are factually guilty of a crime and in those places where we fail, we need to learn lessons so that we don't make that mistake again. This is why emotion is very bad for society as a whole, it gets in the way of rational punishment.
    Like most other things in life, society is the sum of its parts (individual people). Society does exist on the behalf of the individuals who compose it as well as the general populace. Killing innocents in the effort to punish criminals is therefore masochism on society's part; it's society cutting off its nose to spite its face. All emotion aside (although morality is necessary in such a discussion), the death penalty means that productive contributors to society are being destroyed even though they have not done anything to society to warrant such a punishment.

    Besides, the whole concept of punishment is irrational. What tangible benefits are provided to society by capital punishment, and how do they outweigh the cost of the random destruction of contributing members of society?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  6. #366
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, ChrisL.

    I can't think that the ones appointed to do that job actually enjoy it. Will they be judged by karma as murderers? The swordsman with an ax that had to perform beheadings in the past seem more cruel in retrospect than what we do today, so perhaps we are becoming more humane and "civilized" as time passes. Was Dr. Kevorkian wrong to assist those who begged for his help in leaving their pain behind by choosing death...could he be called a murderer? I believe we are fortunate because we are ruled by laws that are equally fair for all, and there should be punishment for breaking those laws, but only God will judge if we are doing the right thing.

    To answer your question - could I do it? I don't think so, but I hope I never have that decision to make. On the other hand, using a hypothetical example, if one you love begs you to end their life, as many parents and spouses did in Japan when we used the atomic bomb and they were so horribly burned, would you feel guilt if you did? With the world becoming more dangerous, the possibility of a chemical or biological terrorist attack is certainly possible, according to experts. Could you do it under those circumstances without feeling like a murderer? Just something to think about.
    Greetings polgara!

    As far as Dr. Kevorkian and mercy killings, those people wanted to die because they were suffering from terminal illnesses, which is kind of different than locking people in jail and then killing them as a form of punishment.

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Bull excrement. It's not the same. And it doesn't mean a single turd to me whether or not people comprehend that.
    Oh? Bull excrement! That's a great argument! Ha-ha!

  8. #368
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Greetings polgara!

    As far as Dr. Kevorkian and mercy killings, those people wanted to die because they were suffering from terminal illnesses, which is kind of different than locking people in jail and then killing them as a form of punishment.
    Well, we can always agree to disagree. If we all thought the same about everything, how boring life would be! We'd be nothing more than robots, and sites like DP would not exist, since there would be no need for discussion - and I enjoy interacting with others, as I believe you do. .

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Well, we can always agree to disagree. If we all thought the same about everything, how boring life would be! We'd be nothing more than robots, and sites like DP would not exist, since there would be no need for discussion - and I enjoy interacting with others, as I believe you do. .
    Thanks polgara. I totally agree. There would be nothing to debate about!

  10. #370
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Spending time in prison for a few years is not the same as dying. Although you'll never get back those years, it is possible to recover your life and dignity, whereas you cannot do so after having been executed.

    At the very least, executions should be made as painless as possible to ensure that the inevitably sentenced innocent do not suffer a needlessly torturous death.
    It is the anti-death penalty crowd that is keeping making it difficult to execute a prisoner painlessly. For instance on the lethal injection method, the anti-death penalty crowd has been going after the companies that sell the drugs that accomplish that. The result is that other drugs that may not work as well are tried.

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •