View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #351
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I would like to agree with this. I am standing by my stance of against DP because IMO it does not serve any purpose that *life in prison* does not.

    However because of the ridiculousness of our current judicial appeal process, most (all?) DP inmates have just as many years to escape and/or kill other inmates or prison employees as most 'lifers.'
    The problem is that if no further court orederd punishment is possible then "justice" is no longer possible. Any additional crimes (while in prison) have no judicial cnsequences. Do we really want further "administrative" action, like solitary confinement in "the hole", to be meted out by prison "officials" alone?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #352
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The problem is that if no further court orederd punishment is possible then "justice" is no longer possible. Any additional crimes (while in prison) have no judicial cnsequences. Do we really want further "administrative" action, like solitary confinement in "the hole", to be meted out by prison "officials" alone?
    I'm not sure I really understand your question but I think the way the prisions are run could be changed in alot of ways. There are consequences now, as you pointed out, and there could be more. They have rules to follow for 'meting them out.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #353
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You are aware that there is violence done in prison, right? People are injured and killed all the time. Those executed never harm another individual, those kept alive can and do. Besides, it isn't the government or the courts that mandate these things, it's society. Society wants these people put to death and the act is done through our representative bodies, the government and the courts.

    This is what happens when we allow our emotions to run away with us. The death penalty is taking out the trash. It's not vengeance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They chose to take a dangerous job protecting society just like cops or firemen. No one forced them to do so.

    Are there any stats on how many DP incarcerated inmates have killed inside compared to inmates jailed for lesser offenses? Or are you saying no one should be in jail? Because anyone of those inmates is a potential danger, not just those convicted of DP offenses.

    Thanks for the condescension btw. My emotions have nothing to do with this. My opinions re: the DP have nothing to do with "the sanctity of life" for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #354
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand your question but I think the way the prisions are run could be changed in alot of ways. There are consequences now, as you pointed out, and there could be more. They have rules to follow for 'meting them out.'
    Those "rules" have nothing to do with due process.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #355
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Those "rules" have nothing to do with due process.
    In prison? I'm not sure I care. But you may have examples in mind of 'injustices' perpetrated on 'innocent' inmates that were undeserving. I cant really think of much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #356
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    In prison? I'm not sure I care. But you may have examples in mind of 'injustices' perpetrated on 'innocent' inmates that were undeserving. I cant really think of much.
    How about 30 to 50 homicides occurring inside of our state prisons every year. You may think that all sentenced to do time in prison deserve to be at the mercy of monsters with nothing left to lose but I do not. The poor slob that is doing time for a (repeat) DWI should not be commingled with "lifers".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #357
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    I am actually kind of surprised by the poll results... two times the number of people in favor of the death penalty are against it

    I thought it would be a little more even for some reason. It's popularity seems to be decline.

  8. #358
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    How about 30 to 50 homicides occurring inside of our state prisons every year. You may think that all sentenced to do time in prison deserve to be at the mercy of monsters with nothing left to lose but I do not. The poor slob that is doing time for a (repeat) DWI should not be commingled with "lifers".
    As I said, I see that as an issue with how a prison is run. Not justice on the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #359
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You can't give them back the 20 years of their lives that you've taken away either. So do try again.
    You can't possibly think that they are equivalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    You can't possibly think that they are equivalent.
    Damn straight I do and anyone who doesn't is a fool.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •