View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #321
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,715

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Government should hold all life sacred.
    It's not the govt's job to hold anything sacred. At all. Nothing. No one. It *explicitly* is instructed not to, nor is it any of 'its' business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #322
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Dont worry, it sure dont seem to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's not the govt's job to hold anything sacred. At all. Nothing. No one. It *explicitly* is instructed not to, nor is it any of 'its' business.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #323
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,715

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    How do you feel about thousands of criminals being released in California because they don't have the money to keep them incarcerated? Who is responsible if even one of them kill again? If a jury has found them guilty in a court of law, why is punishment wrong? What would you suggest be done with them?

    Greetings, Cyrylek.
    This is one reason to support the DP in my opinion. That and the small possibility of escape.

    My main reason for being against the DP is because it is not proven to be a deterrent to murder and other vile crimes against persons. Since it does not prevent those crimes, then life in prison performs the same purpose as the DP....it removes the threat from society.

    Otherwise, prison removes them from society and I believe that is the purpose of prison...to protect society. (Supposedly it is to rehabilitate but I see a very poor record there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #324
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,464

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I support the general idea of the death penalty for real monsters, like Bundy (Ted, to be clear), McVeigh...

    However I think it's over used.
    I would agree. Also, I think we are less likely to kill innocent if the death penalty were only used on the most heinous, sadistic, serial killers. They tend to plead guilty and enjoy talking about their murders, torture, and abuse.

  5. #325
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    My main reason for being against the DP is because it is not proven to be a deterrent to murder and other vile crimes against persons. Since it does not prevent those crimes, then life in prison performs the same purpose as the DP....it removes the threat from society.
    Not to pick on you or anything because this is a general statement, but where do you get the absurd idea that the death penalty has anything whatsoever to do with being a deterrent? Who said that? It's not a deterrent, it's not intended to be a deterrent, why do you keep evaluating it like it is?

    After all, prison isn't a deterrent either, the majority of people who go to prison reoffend and go back to prison. I don't hear anyone claiming we ought to get rid of prisons because they're not deterrents.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #326
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    This is one reason to support the DP in my opinion. That and the small possibility of escape.

    My main reason for being against the DP is because it is not proven to be a deterrent to murder and other vile crimes against persons. Since it does not prevent those crimes, then life in prison performs the same purpose as the DP....it removes the threat from society.

    Otherwise, prison removes them from society and I believe that is the purpose of prison...to protect society. (Supposedly it is to rehabilitate but I see a very poor record there).
    Great post! I've even seen stories that what felons don't already know, they learn while in prison! Guess it had to happen, since they do intermingle, but I hope it only applies to "lesser" crimes - tips on how to sell street drugs, etc, and not how to rob or murder someone!

    Greetings, Lursa.

  7. #327
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,715

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Not to pick on you or anything because this is a general statement, but where do you get the absurd idea that the death penalty has anything whatsoever to do with being a deterrent? Who said that? It's not a deterrent, it's not intended to be a deterrent, why do you keep evaluating it like it is?

    After all, prison isn't a deterrent either, the majority of people who go to prison reoffend and go back to prison. I don't hear anyone claiming we ought to get rid of prisons because they're not deterrents.
    Apologies. From previous discussions on other forums, others had provided links. Links that I found reasonable, as I did not want to believe that it was true. I found them convincing enough for me. If I have some time, I'll see if I can do my own searches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #328
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I do not seek imprisonment to "injure, harm, or humiliate" a murderer. I seek it to keep them isolated from society.
    I prefer permanently removed. But since many people don't even want to hurt a murderer's feelings, I suppose I'll settle for imprisoned until overcrowding.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #329
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Apologies. From previous discussions on other forums, others had provided links. Links that I found reasonable, as I did not want to believe that it was true. I found them convincing enough for me. If I have some time, I'll see if I can do my own searches.
    None of which is an answer. I'm not understanding why anyone thinks the death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent in the first place and nobody seems to have an answer. No offense, of course, yours just happened to be a message on that at the time I decided to ask.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #330
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    None of which is an answer. I'm not understanding why anyone thinks the death penalty is supposed to be a deterrent in the first place and nobody seems to have an answer. No offense, of course, yours just happened to be a message on that at the time I decided to ask.
    Hint: not a single executed person has ever committed another crime.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •