View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #311
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe you should look it up...

    infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person;

    Vengeance | Define Vengeance at Dictionary.com

    Life in prison is also a form of vengeance. Not all vengeance need be the lone gunman out to kill those that killed his family. Stop watching so much Death Wish.

    I suggest you look up teleological ethics (philosophy) -- Encyclopedia Britannica
    I do not seek imprisonment to "injure, harm, or humiliate" a murderer. I seek it to keep them isolated from society.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  2. #312
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    There's a subtle but important difference between basing one's position off of rationally deduced morality and simply including melodramatic emotions and substituting them for an actual argument. Saying "the benefits of the death penalty outweigh the cost to society, and therefore the death penalty is acceptable" is leagues above saying "they deserved it!" even though I disagree with both statements. Both sides of the debate use both tactics, of course, but I've found that the pro-death penalty side has a greater tendency to rely on the latter as the entire basis for their opinion.
    There's no possibility of 'rationally deduced morality'. Only rationality as justification.

    I'm not quite sure how your response relates to my post, but okay, for the record, I don't find the pro-DP camp to be any more judgemental or sanctimonious than the anti-camp. Especially given that the latter will be dominated by Liberals, who of course eschew reason in favour of egalitarian platitudes and gratuitous emotionality.

    With all due respect, MadLib, I find that a Liberal decrying 'melodrama' is scarcely less amusing than the idea of a neo-Nazi complaining of bigotry.

  3. #313
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If the sentenced finds their action of killing another just and you find your killing of them just then there is really no difference between the two of you. The action you both committed was the same and both of you find your reasons for doing it just.
    Yes, there is a difference. I would not kill someone who was harmless and innocent, and for no justifiable reason. A murderer will and does. There is a world of difference between the two concepts.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #314
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm flattered that you think my off-hand remarks are bumper-sticker material. I am pretty good with words, aren't I?

    Yes, the perspective, philosophy, content, and lack of logic does resemble a bumper sticker... as in catch phrase, cliché-ridden nonsense. I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a compliment.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #315
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Yes, the perspective, philosophy, content, and lack of logic does resemble a bumper sticker... as in catch phrase, cliché-ridden nonsense. I laugh at anyone who thinks that's a compliment.

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The death penalty is in the news again in America because states are turning to new, untested drug concoctions to use for lethal injection, and sometimes the drugs being used in executions cause complications and prolonged dying. There was a case a few months ago out of Ohio, but the story coming out of Oklahoma seems the most controversial yet. It actually delayed another man's execution.

    A link to the story is below...



    So do you favor the death penalty?

    Do you think the death penalty will last in America considering the declining availability of traditional lethal injection drugs?



    Oklahoma’s horrible ‘botched execution’ shows again why the death penalty should be abolished
    Yes, I support the death penalty. However, I disagree with the methods used (lethal injection). A bullet to the head is cost friendlier and quicker. And 'death row inmates' should not be living 5+ years after being sentenced to death.

  7. #317
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The DP isn't designed to reduce murder... though that is a by-product.

    a) costs can be reduced by using more simple methods of killing
    b) although some may want the DP as vengeance that does not make the DP about vengeance. It is a consequence plain and simple.

    ...and life in prison does not remove the threat from society. Prison is in our society and guards and other inmates can be affected.
    Where did you read the 'official' reason for the death penalty?

    Yes, I agree costs can be reduced, esp. by reducing the appeals periods and legal fees. (However it's nearly impossible to do that while trying to protect those incorrectly convicted)

    And I dont consider the prison system 'society'. It is specifically designed to keep dangerous people OUT of society. Anyone working there or incarcerated is knowingly subject to that environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #318
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    The death penalty is in the news again in America because states are turning to new, untested drug concoctions to use for lethal injection, and sometimes the drugs being used in executions cause complications and prolonged dying. There was a case a few months ago out of Ohio, but the story coming out of Oklahoma seems the most controversial yet. It actually delayed another man's execution.

    A link to the story is below...



    So do you favor the death penalty?

    Do you think the death penalty will last in America considering the declining availability of traditional lethal injection drugs?



    Oklahoma’s horrible ‘botched execution’ shows again why the death penalty should be abolished
    I support the general idea of the death penalty for real monsters, like Bundy (Ted, to be clear), McVeigh...

    However I think it's over used.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #319
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If just one guard is harmed... and it happens more than you think (I know some prison guards - Sherriff Deputies) then that one is already too much. It affects them and their families. It should never happen.
    They chose to take a dangerous job protecting society just like cops or firemen. No one forced them to do so.

    Are there any stats on how many DP incarcerated inmates have killed inside compared to inmates jailed for lesser offenses? Or are you saying no one should be in jail? Because anyone of those inmates is a potential danger, not just those convicted of DP offenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #320
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    I couldn't give a definitive answer to the question. There are people who commit crimes so vile they forfeit their right to live on the same planet as me. Not all murderers fit into this category, but enough do to make it very difficult for me to absolutely oppose it.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •