View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #301
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry....call it whatever you want, but the bottom line, what you are advocating is classic vengence. Thats just the reality.
    Then so is any consequence... you are advocating that grounding your kid for not obeying your rules is vengeance. That is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    You say there are other reasons yet you fail to provide one.
    I have been providing another reason for endless pages now... you say it is just about revenge and you are wrong. It is also an ethical consequence that shows that a society values innocent life as the most important thing that there is and by exacting the highest price from an individual that violates this, their life, we are upholding that value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    They don't. But if they wish to take themselves out of this world then I have no problem with that.
    Then the DP isn't only about revenge... according to you. That is a contradiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #304
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    No, it serves as a just punishment and deterrent. And in your reasoning, why is the DP vengeance but a lifetime in jail not vengeance? The DP is a known consequence for certain crimes and serves as a punishment, deterrent and removal of someone from this life who is deemed unfit to live here due to their actions for which a life of confinement is not enough. Sometimes it may be in the best interest for the safety of others in the case of serial killers that would kill again if they ever escaped or came into contact with another person (even in prison).
    So many misnomers here that I don't even know where to start. First off, the idea that a prisoner sentenced to life without the possibility of parole could escape is ludicrous. Its not going to happen and is just thrown out there to appeal to people with irrational fears.
    Second, the overwhelming evidence out there is that there is no deterrent effect from the death penalty. People who commit murders do not sit and think rationally about "hmmmm...well I would kill this person if all I could get is life in prison, but since I could get the death penalty, I'm not going to do it". It just doesn't happen that way.

    The rest of the civilized world does not practice the barbaric act of capital punishment. We are better than the likes of Iraq, Iran, China and other less civilized countries of the like that practice executions.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #305
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Then so is any consequence... you are advocating that grounding your kid for not obeying your rules is vengeance. That is ridiculous.
    Not at all....look up the definition. Vengence is punishment that is inflicted to an extreme or excessive degree. Not all punishment is vengence.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #306
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,775

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not at all....look up the definition. Vengence is punishment that is inflicted to an extreme or excessive degree. Not all punishment is vengence.
    Maybe you should look it up...

    infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person;

    Vengeance | Define Vengeance at Dictionary.com

    Life in prison is also a form of vengeance. Not all vengeance need be the lone gunman out to kill those that killed his family. Stop watching so much Death Wish.

    I suggest you look up teleological ethics (philosophy) -- Encyclopedia Britannica
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #307
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Maybe you should look it up...
    Vengeance - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary


    1: with great force or vehemence <undertook reform with a vengeance>
    2: to an extreme or excessive degree <the tourists are back—with a vengeance



    Doh!
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #308
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Although I have an abundance of reasons for opposing the death penalty, my main concern is the potential to execute innocents. The margin of error for killing people is unacceptable; if one person dies for a crime he or she did not commit, then the "benefits" of the death penalty (read: satisfying a useless and overemotional desire for revenge) are sharply outweighed by the costs. Even in a hypothetical world where innocent people will never be killed by the death penalty, I would still be hard-pressed to support the death penalty, because I do not believe in the morality of killing armed and helpless people that are under control, but this is and should be the overriding factor in deciding whether or not the death penalty is justifiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #309
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    I find it interesting that certain posters level accusations of emotionality without mediation of reason, whereas neither side of this fundamentally emotive issue are exempt from such. There's no logical basis to what amounts to a moral issue. Whatever logic there may be in justification, it exists in every position, and any conclusions are ultimately defined by morality, which is immune to logic. However we weigh the value of one life relative to another, these are always value judgements which were never eternal.
    There's a subtle but important difference between basing one's position off of rationally deduced morality and simply including melodramatic emotions and substituting them for an actual argument. Saying "the benefits of the death penalty outweigh the cost to society, and therefore the death penalty is acceptable" is leagues above saying "they deserved it!" even though I disagree with both statements. Both sides of the debate use both tactics, of course, but I've found that the pro-death penalty side has a greater tendency to rely on the latter as the entire basis for their opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Then the DP isn't only about revenge... according to you. That is a contradiction.
    Calling it a 'death penalty' in such a scenario is a tongue-in-cheek statement. Obviously it is just sponsored suicide.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •