View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #221
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There is no emotion in my position. I've no desire for vengeance, no blood lust, no feelings of inadequacy to assuage.

    Killing a helpless harmless captive is pointless. Just simple logic and reason.
    Oh, but there is emotion in it. It is pity for murderers. That is an emotional response. It is not logical, nor reasonable, nor the position of justice. Justice demands the balancing of a wrongful act.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Do you think he gives a ****?
    Not once he's dead.

  3. #223
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Killing is only justified in defense. I have no problem with using lethal force in defense.
    Then your position is not logical or consistent. why is your life more important than your killer's life, only at the moment he is trying to kill you?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #224
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Oh wow- going to use the enlightened card here?
    Those who are enlightened do not kill for emotional satisfaction.

  5. #225
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Then your position is not logical or consistent. why is your life more important than your killer's life, only at the moment he is trying to kill you?
    It's not a matter of judging the importance of ones life. What kind of convoluted logic lead you to such a ridiculous conclusion. Defending oneself is ethical. Killing a helpless person is not.

    I don't judge the value of anyone's life. I don't know enough about anyone to do that.

    That you would judge someone's life as disposable is grotesque. It's disgusting base egoism driven by ugly emotion.

  6. #226
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There is no emotion in my position. I've no desire for vengeance, no blood lust, no feelings of inadequacy to assuage.

    Killing a helpless harmless captive is pointless. Just simple logic and reason.
    Assuming we accept the premise.

    And yes, your emotional investment is plain, or you wouldn't use the language you've employed here.

  7. #227
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Not once he's dead.
    Or even prior to that.

  8. #228
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Do you think he gives a ****?
    Some do, some don't. But ultimately - who cares?

    Rapists and murderers should not write the rules for us. Forever reacting to their actions is a dead end.

  9. #229
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Those who are enlightened do not kill for emotional satisfaction.
    Oh my. If you only knew how right you are about that. I do not favor the death penalty because it emotionally satisfies me. I favor it because I have no emotional investment, and because it is a reasonable response to kill someone who has killed. There is no vengeance in my position.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Or even prior to that.
    That's not true. Plenty of people have expressed remorse for their crimes. Whether or not they mean is for God to judge I suppose.

Page 23 of 55 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •