View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #181
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    We should have more pity for those without empathy than we do for those who act in emotion.
    I have much more pity for those who suffer at their hands. I have no problem putting down a rabid dog, and I have no problem putting down a rabid person.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #182
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    With any luck, they'll find their way into the lives of those who desire to coddle them.
    That would be karmic justice!

    Greetings, NoC_T.

  3. #183
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Even if there is absolutely no doubt, as a libertarian I cannot approve of granting the power of life and death to a State that is inherently corrupt and has no reason to kill another human being when he/she can be isolated from society.
    I can easily approve of it, because I can approve of myself, or anyone else, killing in self-defense. As long as there is a fair and just trial, and guilt can be proven, I have no issue at all with a murderer paying with his life. That is the very definition of justice, which is symbolized by a pair of scales.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #184
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I have much more pity for those who suffer at their hands. I have no problem putting down a rabid dog, and I have no problem putting down a rabid person.
    If the rabid person is caged and incapable of harming society, that's murder in my book.

    Of course, you could always get a job cutting off heads for terrorists.

  5. #185
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Setting an example..that's your argument? lol as if society can "set an example" for psychopaths.
    Not all murderers are psychopaths. Your argument is BS.

  6. #186
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I don't particularly like the argument that execution is just punishment, because we can't prove that position is morally, absolutely correct. I think the legal system and punishment for crime should should be about practicality and results, not about black and white statements and personal beliefs. In instances where I see execution being the most practical, it would be to protect the welfare and safety of society... In other words, taking people out of society that cannot be rehabilitated, are sociopathic, and may continue to be a threat within the prison structure itself and can organize crime and violence on the outside.
    Morality and justice are not the same thing. Justice implies that balance has occurred, and that just payment for a crime has been met. Justice is blind and applied without prejudice. Morality is not.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, danarhea.

    Was it botched, or is that a usual procedure in Oklahoma to have them awake and aware? I'm surprised no one intervened.

    Off topic, what how was the Willis trip? Fun?
    I posted you a link to the story. IT was botched.

  8. #188
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    If the rabid person is caged and incapable of harming society, that's murder in my book.

    Of course, you could always get a job cutting off heads for terrorists.
    Don't try to lay the guilt trip on me regarding killing terrorists. I have no pity for them either. If caging were murder in your book, you would not be opposed to killing them.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #189
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,934
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It would if they got an actual life sentence though, unless they escaped, but that's quite rare. Besides, there have been horribly misjustices committed by prosecutors and others. Some of these guys are just really politicians. They don't care about anything except getting another notch in their belts with a conviction.
    While I agree with that, about prosecutors I mean. the problem remains that sentences do not mean what they say. As long as there is some soft hearted judge out there, there will always be the possibility of a killer let loose for what ever reason. Perhaps if there was a law that stated if a judge let out a prisoner sentenced to life and that prisoner killed someone, the judge who let him out would finish that prisoner's sentence.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Don't try to lay the guilt trip on me regarding killing terrorists. I have no pity for them either. If caging were murder in your book, you would not be opposed to killing them.
    So what makes us better than them? They kill someone, causing a family unimaginable grief, so we turn around, as civilized people, and do it to another family? It's just kind of sick.

Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •