View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #171
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I am not aware of any cases where someone is sentenced for life, no parole and yet get released on parole? Does it happen?
    California recently released thousands of prisoners due to budget problems. I hope none of them were supposed to be in for life with no parole! *shudders*

  2. #172
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Killing isn't always wrong. It's always regrettable, but sometimes necessary.
    Something can be necessary and wrong. Killing is always wrong. Even if you have no other choice, it's still wrong. It should never be something we do willingly. And executing someone who is safely in custody is NEVER necessary.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #173
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    California recently released thousands of prisoners due to budget problems. I hope none of them were supposed to be in for life with no parole! *shudders*
    With any luck, they'll find their way into the lives of those who desire to coddle them.

  4. #174
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    They inject them with drugs to knock them out. What is cruel and unusual about that? It happens every time someone has surgery! That these particular drugs are meant to kill them in a humane manner is a plus for them, IMO. It's not like they're awake and aware! After reading about the crimes they committed that ultimately brought them to this, I think we are being far more civilized than necessary, but that's my opinion. I agree with the poster that suggested their punishment should be the same way they killed another. Why wouldn't that be fair?

    Greetings, Unitedwestand13.
    The executed man in Oklahoma was awake and aware during his execution.... All 43 minutes of it, before he finally died of a heart attack. And, according to those who witnessed the execution, he was in considerable pain during most of it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    There is no guarantee that one sentence to life or even more will never be let out to kill again. The only way to guarantee that is with the death penalty.
    It would if they got an actual life sentence though, unless they escaped, but that's quite rare. Besides, there have been horribly misjustices committed by prosecutors and others. Some of these guys are just really politicians. They don't care about anything except getting another notch in their belts with a conviction.

  6. #176
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The executed man in Oklahoma was awake and aware during his execution.... All 43 minutes of it, before he finally died of a heart attack. And, according to those who witnessed the execution, he was in considerable pain during most of it.
    Only 43 minutes?

    Oh well. Better than nothing, I suppose.

  7. #177
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Of course it does. People figure... if the government can kill a helpless harmless person who is definitely guilty of bad things, then so can I.

    Do you not understand what "rationalization" means?

    How do you not understand that it sets a bad example? It's clearly saying "doing this is ok".

    Abandon your emotion and you will abandon the bloodthirsty vengeance of the death penalty.
    Setting an example..that's your argument? lol as if society can "set an example" for psychopaths.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's only rational to take life in defense. Bloodthirst and vengeance are the work of emotion, not logic and reason.
    Preserving a threat to society in overcrowded prisons at great cost is hardly logic and reason. Shave a few decades off the appeals process, reduce the work load of the justice system by decriminalizing drugs, and reduce mistakes by improving and processing forensics collected in death penalty cases would reduce the cost of executing most criminals.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    We should have more pity for those without empathy than we do for those who act in emotion.
    That's is the dumbest argument against the death penalty I have heard in a long time.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #178
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    I would be more likely to support the death penalty, if it were only used in rare instances and for the most heinous crimes. I don't think it should be overused/used in every single case of murder or homicide, used as a tool to make examples out of people, or used for political clout or votes. There are too many concerns- as you pointed out- with putting the government in charge of deciding if people live or die.





    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I have long been a supporter of it, as I believe there are some crimes for which there is no other appropriate and suitable punishment.


    However, in recent years I've become concerned about the uneven application of the penalty, and the risks of executing an innocent person: you can always free a man if new evidence is found, but you cannot un-execute him.

    As such my support for it has waned somewhat... while I have no problem with it in theory (let the punishment fit the crime), in practice the gov't tends to **** things up too often to entrust them with the power of life and death this way.

  9. #179
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The executed man in Oklahoma was awake and aware during his execution.... All 43 minutes of it, before he finally died of a heart attack. And, according to those who witnessed the execution, he was in considerable pain during most of it.
    well gosh-- i wonder how much pain his victim was as she was buried alive.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #180
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The executed man in Oklahoma was awake and aware during his execution.... All 43 minutes of it, before he finally died of a heart attack. And, according to those who witnessed the execution, he was in considerable pain during most of it.
    Greetings, danarhea.

    Was it botched, or is that a usual procedure in Oklahoma to have them awake and aware? I'm surprised no one intervened.

    Off topic, what how was the Willis trip? Fun?

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •