View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly support

    50 33.33%
  • Somewhat/leaning in support

    17 11.33%
  • Unsure

    4 2.67%
  • Somewhat/leaning agains

    16 10.67%
  • Strongly against

    63 42.00%
Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 542

Thread: Death Penalty, for or against

  1. #161
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've got no problems with making jail a much more miserable place. I don't really feel pity for the killers. I think prisoners should be put to use.
    I have always felt that way too. I have no problems with chain gangs or farms where prisoners can work and grow their own food etc.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #162
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am against the death penalty for quite a few reasons, but here are the most important ones....

    1) If even one innocent person is executed, then the state itself has committed murder. This actually happened in Texas recently.

    2) The cost of executing a criminal is 4 times the cost of imprisoning him for life, without the chance for parole. And that cost runs into the many millions for each person executed. We can better put that money elsewhere.

    3) Executing a criminal makes us less civilized, and puts us in fine company with the likes of Iran, Egypt, and North Korea. Civilized nations no longer execute convicted criminals. Barbarians do.

    4) Barbarians also torture people to death, which is exactly what happened here.

    However, I am not shedding any tears for the asshole in Oklahoma, whose execution was botched. He shot a young woman, then had his cronies bury her while she was still alive. The other criminal, who was scheduled to be executed right after him, and whose execution was put on hold, raped and murdered an eleven month old baby. I will never share a tear for them, but the process is flawed. We need to recognize that, and ban the death penalty, once and for all. It is a relic of barbarism.

    For those who don't agree with me, then I have a suggestion. Let's make executions public again. Lynch 'em right in the town square, and sell hot dogs, beer, and cotton candy to all those who come to see the show. That's what we used to do. It was a real three ring circus back then. Come to think of it, it's still a three ring circus today.
    With the exception that I would not lend it a carnival atmosphere, I would be tempted to agree. Take away the mystique and let everyone see Ole Big Tough Guy cry, beg for his life, and then poop all over himself. No one looks worthy of imitation because they Kept It Real when they have soiled themselves with feces.

  3. #163
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    when needed.

    but when does that happen?
    From their perspective? Every time, or they wouldn't commit.

    I have no problem with state-sanctioned murder where it's warranted. Referring to it as that is fine.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The benefit of the death penalty is the guarantee that the one put to death will never have the chance to kill again. Locking a murderer up for life always reserve the chance of parole, that sooner or later he will be set free and kill again. That is not a benefit to society.
    A "life" sentence doesn't REALLY mean that a person will spend the rest of his/her life in prison, and that's a big problem IMO, and then there's parole too, which should not apply to violent offenders IMO.

  5. #165
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Our constitution forbids the use of punishment deemed cruel and unusual.
    They inject them with drugs to knock them out. What is cruel and unusual about that? It happens every time someone has surgery! That these particular drugs are meant to kill them in a humane manner is a plus for them, IMO. It's not like they're awake and aware! After reading about the crimes they committed that ultimately brought them to this, I think we are being far more civilized than necessary, but that's my opinion. I agree with the poster that suggested their punishment should be the same way they killed another. Why wouldn't that be fair?

    Greetings, Unitedwestand13.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I have always felt that way too. I have no problems with chain gangs or farms where prisoners can work and grow their own food etc.
    I watched a documentary once, and in the old days there used to be some self-sustaining prisons where they had farms that the prisoners would work for their food and they had wells for their water, etc.

  7. #167
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am against the death penalty for quite a few reasons, but here are the most important ones....

    1) If even one innocent person is executed, then the state itself has committed murder. This actually happened in Texas recently.

    2) The cost of executing a criminal is 4 times the cost of imprisoning him for life, without the chance for parole. And that cost runs into the many millions for each person executed. We can better put that money elsewhere.

    3) Executing a criminal makes us less civilized, and puts us in fine company with the likes of Iran, Egypt, and North Korea. Civilized nations no longer execute convicted criminals. Barbarians do.

    4) Barbarians also torture people to death, which is exactly what happened here.

    However, I am not shedding any tears for the asshole in Oklahoma, whose execution was botched. He shot a young woman, then had his cronies bury her while she was still alive. The other criminal, who was scheduled to be executed right after him, and whose execution was put on hold, raped and murdered an eleven month old baby. I will never share a tear for them, but the process is flawed. We need to recognize that, and ban the death penalty, once and for all. It is a relic of barbarism.

    For those who don't agree with me, then I have a suggestion. Let's make executions public again. Lynch 'em right in the town square, and sell hot dogs, beer, and cotton candy to all those who come to see the show. That's what we used to do. It was a real three ring circus back then. Come to think of it, it's still a three ring circus today.
    No matter how evil they judge someone to be, watching them suffering to death changes you. It's not like the movies, AT ALL.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    They inject them with drugs to knock them out. What is cruel and unusual about that? It happens every time someone has surgery! That these particular drugs are meant to kill them in a humane manner is a plus for them, IMO. It's not like they're awake and aware! After reading about the crimes they committed that ultimately brought them to this, I think we are being far more civilized than necessary, but that's my opinion. I agree with the poster that suggested their punishment should be the same way they killed another. Why wouldn't that be fair?

    Greetings, Unitedwestand13.
    Guess you haven't heard about this . . .

    Botched lethal injection a new front in battle over U.S. executions - CNN.com

    Would you do it? Be the one to inject them with drugs that will kill them I mean?

  9. #169
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    A "life" sentence doesn't REALLY mean that a person will spend the rest of his/her life in prison, and that's a big problem IMO, and then there's parole too, which should not apply to violent offenders IMO.
    There is no guarantee that one sentence to life or even more will never be let out to kill again. The only way to guarantee that is with the death penalty.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Death Penalty, for or against

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I watched a documentary once, and in the old days there used to be some self-sustaining prisons where they had farms that the prisoners would work for their food and they had wells for their water, etc.
    Georgia was famous for both. But not as bad as Louisiana. Today, prisoners in a lot of prisons live a better life than a lot of our poor. There is something very wrong, close to bordering on evil about that.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •