View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #71
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There is such a thing as PR if there's business interests. The NBA doesn't want its brand tarnished with racism any more than the owner of a Kosher deli wants his brand tarnished with anti-semitism. If the owner of this deli fired someone because they suddenly came in one day with a swastika tattoo, I'd totally understand that.
    When I was running a business, any employee of mine that presumed to treat somebody badly because of their race or religion or ethnicity or whatever, or who used one of those hateful characterizations in public would have been quickly out the door with a strong admonition to never come back. I also once ran an organization that was within a much larger organization that had specific guidelines and principles that we were all supposed to support and emulate, and failure to do so could cost us our franchise and the right to use our organizational name.

    These are rules that everybody understood and agreed to abide by and understood the consequences for violating them. And whatever disciplinary measures were taken were within my business or within that organization and had absolutely nothing to do with political correctness. That is also the case with Sterling and the NBA. He broke their rules, so they say, and he is subject to the consequences of breaking those rules, and so be it. That also has nothing to do with political correctness.

    But, outside of the parameters agreed to by any individuals via legal or social contract, each of us has the unalienable right to be who and what we are. When somebody would organize to punish or hurt us physically and/or materially for no other reason than they disagree with what we believe, think, or say, THAT is political correctness. And it violates our unalienable right to be who and what we are with impunity so long as we violate nobody else's unalienable rights. And it is evil.

    When it requires no contribution or participation by me and/or no affect on me or my property, I should have no right to dictate to you what you must believe or think or write or speak in order to avoid my punishing you.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Political correctness does not take away the right to free speech, it just invokes societal ramifications on what is said. In other words, a person is still free to be a douche, but people are also free to point it out.

    Now, in today's usage, PC means when some one complains about something you like, they are being PC. Or to put it another way, what is the difference between complaining about some one making racial comments, and complaining about some one complaining about racial comments? People who bitch the loudest about PC are usually being PC, and just do not even know it.
    Ya, because there. Is a point of being reasonable and not be ignorant. However, when you gotta watch what you say at all times, and now worry that your comments will make it on YouTube for fear of losing your job, your reputation... And then claim you still have "free speech".

    Then, who decides? Look at "Eskimo" some got all terry eyed about Eskimo because some people in the past said it with disdain, so now, they prefer to be called "Inuit". So, your Eskimo pies are now racist because some pissants got offended. Where even some elements of their culture are offended by the term Inuit (a minority of them I'm sure).

    Let's say a person talks about Eskimos, because he didn't know, nothing bad, just saying how they live in ice houses, and they use the "non-PC" term, they can just as easily be deemed racist for not keeping up with the times.

  3. #73
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    A little recent historical input regarding the term RINO. (Republican In Name Only)

    The term first appeared in the early 1900's and went dormant for decades until Celeste Greig, former President of the California Republican Assembly (CRA) the same CRA that Ronald Reagan belonged to during the 1970's. It was Celeste Greig who resurrected the term RINO from the graveyard.

    Today most true Republican conservatives refer to non conservatives with in the Republican Party as being RINO's. Neoconservatives are RINO's. It's not a political derogatory term. If your not a true conservative with in the GOP, you're a RINO. Nothing wrong with being a RINO.

    The Republican conservative base of the Republican Party have been out of power in the Republican Party since the late 1990's when the neoconservatives gained control of the GOP for the first time in history of the GOP. But in 2010 the neoconservatives lost control of the GOP in 2010 mostly because of the Tea Party movement.

    Unfortunately today, nobody is in control of the GOP.

    As for the Democrat Party, the liberals (JFK, LBJ liberals) lost control of the Democrat Party in the early/mid 1970's when the "New Left" radical extremest from the radical left gained control of the Democrat Party by first hiding behind the liberal label to get elected to public office and after dirtying that label during the 1980's many would hide behind the progressive label. The radical left has been in complete control of the Democrat Party since 1976.

    What you have in todays Democrat Party are a bunch of DINO's, LINO's and PINOs.
    Unless you want to consider that some of the origins of the term RINO had to deal with progressive candidates using it against one another, in an attempt to out-progressive each other, then the fusionist conservatives would, under such terms, be the RINOs, not the neoconservatives. The neoconservatives would, in part, be the true conservatives.

    But that's being silly, because there is no "true" conservative, and a RINO is another stupid term.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #74
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    When I was running a business, any employee of mine that presumed to treat somebody badly because of their race or religion or ethnicity or whatever, or who used one of those hateful characterizations in public would have been quickly out the door with a strong admonition to never come back. I also once ran an organization that was within a much larger organization that had specific guidelines and principles that we were all supposed to support and emulate, and failure to do so could cost us our franchise and the right to use our organizational name.

    These are rules that everybody understood and agreed to abide by and understood the consequences for violating them. And whatever disciplinary measures were taken were within my business or within that organization and had absolutely nothing to do with political correctness. That is also the case with Sterling and the NBA. He broke their rules, so they say, and he is subject to the consequences of breaking those rules, and so be it. That also has nothing to do with political correctness.

    But, outside of the parameters agreed to by any individuals via legal or social contract, each of us has the unalienable right to be who and what we are. When somebody would organize to punish or hurt us physically and/or materially for no other reason than they disagree with what we believe, think, or say, THAT is political correctness. And it violates our unalienable right to be who and what we are with impunity so long as we violate nobody else's unalienable rights. And it is evil.

    When it requires no contribution or participation by me and/or no affect on me or my property, I should have no right to dictate to you what you must believe or think or write or speak in order to avoid my punishing you.
    And there you go. You would fire somebody who was publicly hateful. Sterling may not have intended to be publicly hateful, but it became public and action had to be taken.

    I'd never encourage firing somebody because of their private thoughts, but sometimes these things become public. When they do, there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #75
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Would you support a Bible manufacturer who supplies Bibles to Evangelical churches deciding that a gay woman executive is bad for their image and letting her go because of business interests?
    Depends on how private she is about it. If she's very publicly involved in pro-gay things and easily identifiable as an employee of that company, then maybe she should be fired for conduct detrimental to the business.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #76
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I dunno. All I see political correctness as, is trying to keep people from being hurt, for one reason or another. If people would stop being jerks, there would be no reason for it anyway. But that will never happen, so I think that some level of PC is needed.

    I'll probably be in the minority in believing that, though.
    If everything said or written needs to be unoffensive to even the least common denominator, speech becomes too regulated and stifled. Political correctness is for those who need .. even require respect from strangers to feel good about themselves. Who really cares what other people say?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #77
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Depends on how private she is about it. If she's very publicly involved in pro-gay things and easily identifiable as an employee of that company, then maybe she should be fired for conduct detrimental to the business.
    Let's say that one of their biggest customers found out about it somehow, and objected, and threatened to take their business away. As Donald Sterling showed us, the old pervert, anything you say or do in private is a matter for public consumption, if it damages the business. Would you support their right to fire her?

  8. #78
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And there you go. You would fire somebody who was publicly hateful. Sterling may not have intended to be publicly hateful, but it became public and action had to be taken.

    I'd never encourage firing somebody because of their private thoughts, but sometimes these things become public. When they do, there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.
    I would fire somebody who broke the rules of my business or organization. That's what the NBA claims Sterling did and why he was being fired. Whether a private conversation unethically taped qualifies as breaking the rules is something for the NBA and Sterling and perhaps his lawyers to sort out and might need to be decided by a judge. While I do not condone racist speech by anybody, and while I don't know all the details of that particular issue, it does bother me that a PRIVATE conservation can break anybody's rules. Who among us has never expressed an opinion in private to somebody that would not look good if it was made public? And who among us will ever feel safe if all somebody has to do to destroy us is to get us to say something privately or intercept a conversation that would look really bad if made public? How can any one of us feel that there is liberty in such a system? How could any of us dare to be who and what we are ever again?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Ya, because there. Is a point of being reasonable and not be ignorant. However, when you gotta watch what you say at all times, and now worry that your comments will make it on YouTube for fear of losing your job, your reputation... And then claim you still have "free speech".

    Then, who decides? Look at "Eskimo" some got all terry eyed about Eskimo because some people in the past said it with disdain, so now, they prefer to be called "Inuit". So, your Eskimo pies are now racist because some pissants got offended. Where even some elements of their culture are offended by the term Inuit (a minority of them I'm sure).

    Let's say a person talks about Eskimos, because he didn't know, nothing bad, just saying how they live in ice houses, and they use the "non-PC" term, they can just as easily be deemed racist for not keeping up with the times.
    People need to learn what the **** free speech is. This is getting really ****ing stupid. Free speech means you can say what you want, not that people won't judge you based on what you say. I have no clue as to how this is confusing to any one...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Unless you want to consider that some of the origins of the term RINO had to deal with progressive candidates using it against one another, in an attempt to out-progressive each other, then the fusionist conservatives would, under such terms, be the RINOs, not the neoconservatives. The neoconservatives would, in part, be the true conservatives.

    But that's being silly, because there is no "true" conservative, and a RINO is another stupid term.
    The term "RINO" first did appear during the Progressive era in America during the early 1900's.

    We have to remember when we are usually referring to conservatives were are referring to American conservatism not European conservatives.

    The same is true with progressives. The Progressive movement was born in England but the American Progressive Movement included both nationalist socialist, Democrats and Republicans. One thing all American progressives had in common, they all were extremely nationalist today the left calls them nativist. And all were racist believing that northern Europeans were superior to eastern and southern Europeans.


    The vast majority of Americans rejected the Progressive Movement in the early 1920's and it seemed to have died out during the 1930's during the Great Depression.

    America's immigration policies and laws from the late 1800 until 1965 were written by progressives. So was prohibition and many of the drug laws in America.

    The question I have asked so many of those who identify as being progressives today, when exactly did progressives stopped being racist ? Have they just became closet racist or are they Marxist or radical leftist hiding behind the progressive label ? I can't get an answerer out of any of them.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •