View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #61
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Last Seen
    06-13-14 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    174

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    "....merely an abstract tool for social control??!!!!"

    Political Correctness is a cancer that has infested all aspects of American life, particularly the revisionist indoctrination halls of academia.

    To attempt to downplay it's devastating effects upon the American culture is unbelievable. We've had sixty years of this "mere abstract tool" and one only needs to step outside the front door to survey the devastation caused to the former most beautiful country in the world.

    We can't talk about that though, can we?
    Sure we can talk about it, can you list some specific examples?

  2. #62
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,535
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't get it either. If you want to run around saying "n*gger" and "f*ggot" you can. People might not like you, but you can. For all we hear about "the right isn't racist," you'd think that racially insulting language would be equally offensive to them. I don't think that the GOP is racist, but why are the RWers so concerned about "PC?" They have their own things that aren't acceptable to them.
    This RW-er is just as offended at words like 'n*gger' and 'f*aggot' intended to insult or demean somebody as anybody else. I do not like to be around people who use such words, and, if the situation warrants it, I will tell them so. But that does not extrapolate to me organizing a protest or boycott intended to physically and/or materially harm somebody who uses such language.

    And THAT is the problem I have with political correctness. When it is used as an excuse to organize to harm somebody physically and/or materially, it is wrong. It is un-American. It is evil. And it should be condemned by all who value our unalienable right to be who and what we are, to think the thoughts that we think, to believe what we believe, to say what we think, with impunity so long as we do not violate anybody else's rights. And there is no right not to be offended. There should be a right to not be physically and/or materially harmed for who and what we are when we have not violated anybody else's rights.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I don't agree with your definition of RINO. To me, and I believe what most people mean when they use the term, is to identify those who supports concepts in opposition to the Republican platform or consensus or who hold views in opposition to the Republican platform or consensus. It is intended as a critical or insulting term and is NOT intended to silence dissent within the party.

    It is no different than calling somebody a liberal or conservative or partisan or ideologue--all also often used to be critical or insulting, but are not intended to silence dissent.

    It certainly is NOT political correctness that would physically and/or materially try to hurt somebody because of their observations about something or the opinions or point of view that they hold.
    A little recent historical input regarding the term RINO. (Republican In Name Only)

    The term first appeared in the early 1900's and went dormant for decades until Celeste Greig, former President of the California Republican Assembly (CRA) the same CRA that Ronald Reagan belonged to during the 1970's. It was Celeste Greig who resurrected the term RINO from the graveyard.

    Today most true Republican conservatives refer to non conservatives with in the Republican Party as being RINO's. Neoconservatives are RINO's. It's not a political derogatory term. If your not a true conservative with in the GOP, you're a RINO. Nothing wrong with being a RINO.

    The Republican conservative base of the Republican Party have been out of power in the Republican Party since the late 1990's when the neoconservatives gained control of the GOP for the first time in history of the GOP. But in 2010 the neoconservatives lost control of the GOP in 2010 mostly because of the Tea Party movement.

    Unfortunately today, nobody is in control of the GOP.

    As for the Democrat Party, the liberals (JFK, LBJ liberals) lost control of the Democrat Party in the early/mid 1970's when the "New Left" radical extremest from the radical left gained control of the Democrat Party by first hiding behind the liberal label to get elected to public office and after dirtying that label during the 1980's many would hide behind the progressive label. The radical left has been in complete control of the Democrat Party since 1976.

    What you have in todays Democrat Party are a bunch of DINO's, LINO's and PINOs.

  4. #64
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think that there's things that are politically correct on the right also. For example, you wouldn't stand in front of the Tea Party and say "I favor raising taxes." It's not "politically correct." Gay marriage isn't "politically correct" to the Religious Right, so you wouldn't dare talk to them about being in favor of it.

    By limiting your version of "PC" to only the left is a very narrow definition. Besides which, what's PC changes over time. In 1914, it was completely acceptable to say that black people were genetically inferior. You wouldn't get away with that in any circles, left or right, in 2014.
    Actually, if the person was there in support of the Tea Party, he wouldn't say those words because he doesn't believe that taxes should be raised. It wouldn't be because he doesn't want to be "politically incorrect". Come on, rocket - you know that.

  5. #65
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Want to say about what?
    Uh, that's my question. What do people who hate political correctness want to say but don't feel they can say it because of political correctness?

  6. #66
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Actually, if the person was there in support of the Tea Party, he wouldn't say those words because he doesn't believe that taxes should be raised. It wouldn't be because he doesn't want to be "politically incorrect". Come on, rocket - you know that.
    If they supported the TP, yes. What if they were just speaking to the group? Let's say a moderate Republican pol favored a tax raise, he wouldn't dare say it for fear of the TP. It's not that much different.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #67
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    This RW-er is just as offended at words like 'n*gger' and 'f*aggot' intended to insult or demean somebody as anybody else. I do not like to be around people who use such words, and, if the situation warrants it, I will tell them so. But that does not extrapolate to me organizing a protest or boycott intended to physically and/or materially harm somebody who uses such language.

    And THAT is the problem I have with political correctness. When it is used as an excuse to organize to harm somebody physically and/or materially, it is wrong. It is un-American. It is evil. And it should be condemned by all who value our unalienable right to be who and what we are, to think the thoughts that we think, to believe what we believe, to say what we think, with impunity so long as we do not violate anybody else's rights. And there is no right not to be offended. There should be a right to not be physically and/or materially harmed for who and what we are when we have not violated anybody else's rights.
    There is such a thing as PR if there's business interests. The NBA doesn't want its brand tarnished with racism any more than the owner of a Kosher deli wants his brand tarnished with anti-semitism. If the owner of this deli fired someone because they suddenly came in one day with a swastika tattoo, I'd totally understand that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #68
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    If they supported the TP, yes. What if they were just speaking to the group? Let's say a moderate Republican pol favored a tax raise, he wouldn't dare say it for fear of the TP. It's not that much different.
    Somehow I don't see the Tea Party inviting anyone to speak to them who they know is in favor of increasing taxes. Nor would a politician who wanted to raise taxes waste his time speaking to the TP. Then again, politicians are the most confusing critters in the world.

  9. #69
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There is such a thing as PR if there's business interests. The NBA doesn't want its brand tarnished with racism any more than the owner of a Kosher deli wants his brand tarnished with anti-semitism. If the owner of this deli fired someone because they suddenly came in one day with a swastika tattoo, I'd totally understand that.
    Would you support a Bible manufacturer who supplies Bibles to Evangelical churches deciding that a gay woman executive is bad for their image and letting her go because of business interests?

  10. #70
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There is such a thing as PR if there's business interests. The NBA doesn't want its brand tarnished with racism any more than the owner of a Kosher deli wants his brand tarnished with anti-semitism. If the owner of this deli fired someone because they suddenly came in one day with a swastika tattoo, I'd totally understand that.
    Beside, what company would not disenfranchise an owner who insists employees' paychecks are handouts?

    It's ridiculous. No one would want to work for that guy.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •