View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Fine. Boycott away. But if you organize an angry mob for the explicit purpose of harming that person physically and/or materially for no other offense than he is politically incorrect? Then in my opinion you are doing evil. And if you don't wish to talk about that then don't respond to any more of my posts because we will have nothing to discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Wow, okay then. Seriously though, you think boycotting is evil? I think things like murder, rape, child molestation, now those might evil things. Boycotting is a citizen's right. We have the right to do business with whom we choose, just as you say the businessman has the right to choose who he does business with. He can have his opinions, and he can make them public, but society will be the ultimate decider.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Reread what you wrote and you'll see what you said.
    Above is what you said and that is what I responded to. I mean, people get together as groups to boycott. Boycotting isn't very effective when it's just a couple of people now is it? Obviously, the goal of boycotting is to hurt the business owner in his pocket book to send a message. That does not qualify as being "evil" in my eyes.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I live in a world where a Senate Majority leader was forced to relinquish his position for saying something entirely innocuous but deemed 'politically incorrect' when he was extemporaneously praising a colleague on that colleague's 100th birthday.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a radio talk show host who used the word 'slut' in reference to a Washington lobbyist.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to physically and financially hurt a guy who was asked a question about what he believed the Bible said and answered it honestly.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a CEO who expressed his defense of traditional marriage.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to get J.C. Penney to fire Ellen DeGeneres in their corporate advertising for no other reason than Ellen is gay.

    I live in a world where the PC police demanded that a Food Network star lose her position and livelihood for admitting that she used a single politically incorrect word in a deposition years before.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to financially damage a baker for not wanting to participate in a gay wedding.

    I could go on and on and on. But the fact is, that is what political correctness is. It denies people the ability to be who and what they are without fear that some mob will descend upon them to punish them physically and/or materially because they are not 'politically correct.'

    It is wrong. It is evil. And it should be condemned in all of our society.
    Evil...is that a pc label for someone you don't agree with? Who else is considered evil....Hitler, perhaps? Osama Bin Laden? Satan? So using politically correct terms such as African American instead of the N word is more evil than the slaughter of millions of people? Really?


    PC simply makes people think twice about what they're saying in a civil society and that isn't evil....it's reason. Reason and science are the real principles this country was founded on.....

    Jefferson on Politics & Government: Governed by Reason



    I love how you said you'd fire anyone in your company who openly expressed bigotry and racism...all the while demanding your right to openly express yourself anyway, anyhow and anywhere you want without criticism or backlash by society. Would you fire an employee for expressing bigotry and racism if it was openly accepted by society? Probably not.

    PS...you didn't mention the Dixie Chicks in your list. That was a fine example of conservative PC, was it not? Or how about Rev. Wright's right to freely express himself? He wasn't even a public figure...but that didn't matter as long as his reputation and church were destroyed on the road to destroying Obama.
    Last edited by Moot; 05-05-14 at 03:06 AM.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I didn't compare them with Hitler or anybody else. I used as illustration a number of examples of people who believed they were doing the right thing when in fact they were doing evil. One can be a paragon of virtue and still be so wrong in his/her actions that the result is evil. In my opinion those who think they are doing good by acting as thought police are doing evil.

    “Causing any damage or harm to one party in order to help another party is not justice, . . . "--― Christine de Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies

    “To act on the belief that we possess the knowledge and the power which enable us to shape the processes of society entirely to our liking, knowledge which in fact we do not possess, is likely to make us do much harm.” ― Friedrich Hayek

    “No one can take away your Natural Rights, but they can do great damage making you think they can.”― J.S.B. Morse

    And a friend who has been reading along here but does not post just e-mailed me this (emphasis mine):

    “The object of this Essay is to assert one very simple principle, as entitled to govern absolutely the dealings of society with the individual in the way of compulsion and control, whether the means used be physical force in the form of legal penalties, or the moral coercion of public opinion. That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting him with any evil, in case he do otherwise. To justify that, the conduct from which it is desired to deter him must be calculated to produce evil to someone else. The only part of the conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
    ― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "The only part of the conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others" - John Stewart Mill, On Liberty


    Mills appears to be saying that where others and/or society are concerned a person's conduct must be "amenable".

    Amenable is defined as: open and responsive to suggestion; easily persuaded or controlled.

    There are only two kinds of government....one that uses force and oppression to control people....and one that uses reason and/or persuasion to appeal to peoples self interest. Our country was founded on the latter. PC uses reason and persuasion...not force. If Sterling was forced not to be a racist...then he'd probably still be a member of the NBA. Nobody forced him to be a racist or not be a racist. He knew it wasn't acceptable in society....but he never dreamed it wasn't acceptable in private to his racially mixed girlfriend's face or the players on his team or his head coach. To him, he was just being himself...while he was undermining everyone around him. Why someone didn't say something sooner is a mystery.

    Most people live in a society or at least around other people most of the time. We are after all...social creatures and very seldom truly alone.


    Censoring violence, sex and cursing on TV is political correctness that was blamed on the left but it was really Christian leaders who lobbied the government to impose the censorship. Did that make you feel oppressed or take away any of your unalienable individual freedom to control your own mind and body?




    It's not torture....it's 'enhanced interrogation'....another attempt by conservatives at PC.
    Last edited by Moot; 05-05-14 at 04:35 AM.

  4. #214
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Because it's not fair to judge someone harsher because of their position in life. It's not the way the law works, nor should it be the way society judges. If we're all equal, then we should be treated that way. In your concept, someones achievement equates them as better than others.
    I've never been much of a fairness junkie, but I do agree that double standards are inappropriate, especially where the law comes into play. However, we aren' talking about anything legal here. This thread is mostly concerned with civil matters, which means anything goes.


    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Though in reality someone in a more notable position will be given more attention, therefore more judgment. Some will say, with position and fame comes more scrutiny and worthiness, but that's still not really fair.
    Thing is, maybe it's not fair that some people get to enjoy position and fame while others don't.

    Life isn't fair, and when you make it to the top being held more accountable is just part of the game. Besides, when you've got more to lose shouldn't that be a motivating factor in not saying/ doing things that will find it all taken away?

    Weakness should never be rewarded, especially when you're at in a higher position.

  5. #215
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is true, but there are certain groups who will go out of their way to ruin a person's life and livelihood over a comment.
    This is definitely true, but I suppose that's a risk anyone takes each time they say anything.

    Just kind of a part of living in society.

  6. #216
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I've never been much of a fairness junkie, but I do agree that double standards are inappropriate, especially where the law comes into play. However, we aren' talking about anything legal here. This thread is mostly concerned with civil matters, which means anything goes.




    Thing is, maybe it's not fair that some people get to enjoy position and fame while others don't.

    Life isn't fair, and when you make it to the top being held more accountable is just part of the game. Besides, when you've got more to lose shouldn't that be a motivating factor in not saying/ doing things that will find it all taken away?

    Weakness should never be rewarded, especially when you're at in a higher position.
    Don't believe in fairness, huh? Bet you would if you were on the wrong end of unfair practices.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #217
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    "The only part of the conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others" - John Stewart Mill, On Liberty


    Mills appears to be saying that where others and/or society are concerned a person's conduct must be "amenable".

    Amenable is defined as: open and responsive to suggestion; easily persuaded or controlled.

    There are only two kinds of government....one that uses force and oppression to control people....and one that uses reason and/or persuasion to appeal to peoples self interest. Our country was founded on the latter. PC uses reason and persuasion...not force. If Sterling was forced not to be a racist...then he'd probably still be a member of the NBA. Nobody forced him to be a racist or not be a racist. He knew it wasn't acceptable in society....but he never dreamed it wasn't acceptable in private to his racially mixed girlfriend's face or the players on his team or his head coach. To him, he was just being himself...while he was undermining everyone around him. Why someone didn't say something sooner is a mystery.

    Most people live in a society or at least around other people most of the time. We are after all...social creatures and very seldom truly alone.


    Censoring violence, sex and cursing on TV is political correctness that was blamed on the left but it was really Christian leaders who lobbied the government to impose the censorship. Did that make you feel oppressed or take away any of your unalienable individual freedom to control your own mind and body?




    It's not torture....it's 'enhanced interrogation'....another attempt by conservatives at PC.
    PC uses neither reason nor persuasion. It is a vicious, angry, vindictive, and hateful mindset that leads to bullying and huge injustices. It has been implemented by tyrants for millenia who used thought police to squelch dissent and make people too terrified to trust each other and therefore more manageable by the state. It is no accident that the government gets behind it and encourages it. It is the greatest destroyer of liberties ever conceived by humankind. Inch by inch, protest by protest, vindictive action after vindictive action, the gullible are drawn in and made to believe it is good and normal. And each time it happens, our individual liberties, choices, options, and opportunities are eroded. And once the government chooses to enforce it, we will no longer be a representative republic. We will be a totalitarian state.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #218
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    PC uses neither reason nor persuasion. It is a vicious, angry, vindictive, and hateful mindset that leads to bullying and huge injustices. It has been implemented by tyrants for millenia who used thought police to squelch dissent and make people too terrified to trust each other and therefore more manageable by the state. It is no accident that the government gets behind it and encourages it. It is the greatest destroyer of liberties ever conceived by humankind. Inch by inch, protest by protest, vindictive action after vindictive action, the gullible are drawn in and made to believe it is good and normal. And each time it happens, our individual liberties, choices, options, and opportunities are eroded. And once the government chooses to enforce it, we will no longer be a representative republic. We will be a totalitarian state.
    If you've ever boycotted a company or a product then I guess that makes you a vicious, angry, vindictive, hateful, bullying tyrant, too. Your nonsense is little more than a logical fallacy taken to the extreme....which unfortunately is where some conservatives always seem to go when logic and reason fail them.

    If conservatives had their way there wouldn't be a Constitution or a Republic to protect your freedoms, at all.

  9. #219
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    If you've ever boycotted a company or a product then I guess that makes you a vicious, angry, vindictive, hateful, bullying tyrant, too. Your nonsense is little more than a logical fallacy taken to the extreme....which unfortunately is where some conservatives always seem to go when logic and reason fail them.

    If conservatives had their way there wouldn't be a Constitution or a Republic to protect your freedoms, at all.
    There is a huge difference between any individual selecting A over B (or B over A) and in having the gov't (or any other outside force) eliminate either A or B as a possible choice.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #220
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    If you've ever boycotted a company or a product then I guess that makes you a vicious, angry, vindictive, hateful, bullying tyrant, too. Your nonsense is little more than a logical fallacy taken to the extreme....which unfortunately is where some conservatives always seem to go when logic and reason fail them.

    If conservatives had their way there wouldn't be a Constitution or a Republic to protect your freedoms, at all.
    No. The only time I have boycotted a company is because of their violation of human rights; their bad practices that were seriously harming people. And the boycott was strictly refusal to buy their products UNTIL they changed those bad practices. And when they changed their policies, we went right back to buying those products.

    Poltiical correctness does not punish people for what they DO. It punishes people for what they THINK, what they SAY, what they BELIEVE, and who and what they are.

    I can see the difference between those two things. Can you?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •