View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #201
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't really attribute these types of acts to "evil" as much as I do to mental illness, and I don't really think it's fair to compare the politically correct crowd with Hitler. The PC crowd just doesn't seem to understand the way real life works.
    I didn't compare them with Hitler or anybody else. I used as illustration a number of examples of people who believed they were doing the right thing when in fact they were doing evil. One can be a paragon of virtue and still be so wrong in his/her actions that the result is evil. In my opinion those who think they are doing good by acting as thought police are doing evil.

    “Causing any damage or harm to one party in order to help another party is not justice, . . . "--― Christine de Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies

    “To act on the belief that we possess the knowledge and the power which enable us to shape the processes of society entirely to our liking, knowledge which in fact we do not possess, is likely to make us do much harm.” ― Friedrich Hayek

    “No one can take away your Natural Rights, but they can do great damage making you think they can.”― J.S.B. Morse

    And a friend who has been reading along here but does not post just e-mailed me this (emphasis mine):

    “The object of this Essay is to assert one very simple principle, as entitled to govern absolutely the dealings of society with the individual in the way of compulsion and control, whether the means used be physical force in the form of legal penalties, or the moral coercion of public opinion. That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting him with any evil, in case he do otherwise. To justify that, the conduct from which it is desired to deter him must be calculated to produce evil to someone else. The only part of the conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
    ― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I didn't compare them with Hitler or anybody else. I used as illustration a number of examples of people who believed they were doing the right thing when in fact they were doing evil. One can be a paragon of virtue and still be so wrong in his/her actions that the result is evil. In my opinion those who think they are doing good by acting as thought police are doing evil.

    “Causing any damage or harm to one party in order to help another party is not justice, . . . "--― Christine de Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies

    “To act on the belief that we possess the knowledge and the power which enable us to shape the processes of society entirely to our liking, knowledge which in fact we do not possess, is likely to make us do much harm.” ― Friedrich Hayek

    “No one can take away your Natural Rights, but they can do great damage making you think they can.”― J.S.B. Morse

    And a friend who has been reading along here but does not post just e-mailed me this (emphasis mine):

    “The object of this Essay is to assert one very simple principle, as entitled to govern absolutely the dealings of society with the individual in the way of compulsion and control, whether the means used be physical force in the form of legal penalties, or the moral coercion of public opinion. That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting him with any evil, in case he do otherwise. To justify that, the conduct from which it is desired to deter him must be calculated to produce evil to someone else. The only part of the conduct of any one, for which he is amenable to society, is that which concerns others. In the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute. Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
    ― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
    Look, I'm not interested in arguing the definition of "evil." I just told you my opinion, that I don't really believe in "evil." The thread is about people boycotting businesses or otherwise shunning them. It really has nothing to do with evil IMO.

  3. #203
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Look, I'm not interested in arguing the definition of "evil." I just told you my opinion, that I don't really believe in "evil." The thread is about people boycotting businesses or otherwise shunning them. It really has nothing to do with evil IMO.
    Fine. Boycott away. But if you organize an angry mob for the explicit purpose of harming that person physically and/or materially for no other offense than he is politically incorrect? Then in my opinion you are doing evil. And if you don't wish to talk about that then don't respond to any more of my posts because we will have nothing to discuss.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Fine. Boycott away. But if you organize an angry mob for the explicit purpose of harming that person physically and/or materially for no other offense than he is politically incorrect? Then in my opinion you are doing evil. And if you don't wish to talk about that then don't respond to any more of my posts because we will have nothing to discuss.
    Wow, okay then. Seriously though, you think boycotting is evil? I think things like murder, rape, child molestation, now those might evil things. Boycotting is a citizen's right. We have the right to do business with whom we choose, just as you say the businessman has the right to choose who he does business with. He can have his opinions, and he can make them public, but society will be the ultimate decider.

  5. #205
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,353

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    No. Again it was a matter of good manners which was really grilled into folks from the earliest American settlers up until sometime in the late 20th Century. We all knew different standards applied to different settings, different standards applied to the young vs the old, etc. Sometimes it dictated how something should be expressed--we were to be polite and not rude--and certain bad words were not to be used in polite company. But there was never any effort to do mind/thought/speech control as you have in political correctness, and there is not even the slightest inference of that in that list of good manners attributed to Washington.
    d: Manners and social mores seem to be changing. Were people more polite in the past? Recently there was a thread on here that generated pages of discussion on whether it was proper to wear whatever you felt like wearing in different social settings. You could almost gauge the age of the responders by their replies. The around-30 crowd apparently think that today's standards on what is considered appropriate behavior is the freedom to express themselves in whatever manner they choose. The over-30 posters felt that society has certain guidelines for a purpose, and you are judged by society based on your adherence to those rules, usually on generational differences. As an example, young men wearing their trousers which showed parts of their bodies which normally would be covered is acceptable behavior today to many younger people. Were people more controlled by their parents in the past? Maybe, but we didn't have the problems we see today, either.

    Greetings, AlbuOwl.

  6. #206
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    d: Manners and social mores seem to be changing. Were people more polite in the past? Recently there was a thread on here that generated pages of discussion on whether it was proper to wear whatever you felt like wearing in different social settings. You could almost gauge the age of the responders by their replies. The around-30 crowd apparently think that today's standards on what is considered appropriate behavior is the freedom to express themselves in whatever manner they choose. The over-30 posters felt that society has certain guidelines for a purpose, and you are judged by society based on your adherence to those rules, usually on generational differences. As an example, young men wearing their trousers which showed parts of their bodies which normally would be covered is acceptable behavior today to many younger people. Were people more controlled by their parents in the past? Maybe, but we didn't have the problems we see today, either.

    Greetings, AlbuOwl.
    I believe the standard was for far more civility and good manners in every aspect of the American culture in the past and yes, there was a dress code for just about everything and parents required their children to be well mannered and adhere to those dress codes. And that civility extended to a broad tolerance and acceptance for differing points of view. I believe I have previously posted that it would be unthinkable to disrespect a person invited to speak at a college campus no matter what that person's religion, politics, or point of view. There was a lot of political intolerance for communism. But to the best of my knowledge, there was no such thing as political correctness.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #207
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Wow, okay then. Seriously though, you think boycotting is evil? I think things like murder, rape, child molestation, now those might evil things. Boycotting is a citizen's right. We have the right to do business with whom we choose, just as you say the businessman has the right to choose who he does business with. He can have his opinions, and he can make them public, but society will be the ultimate decider.
    If you are going to tell me what I think, you had better go by what I say I think. I have not said boycotting is evil. It is your right to be a totally repulsive, obnoxious, ill mannered, and disgusting tool too. But it doesn't mean that we should culturally tolerate that. But apparently understanding and relating to a point made isn't your strong suit?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #208
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    What is evil is people who are told something in private and then they sell it to some media outlet to cause harm to the person who said it privately. Sort of like the Paula Deen thing. Freedom of speech means people shouldn't have to whisper or be ruined financially due to that whisper. It's just wrong, and it has gotten way out of hand.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If you are going to tell me what I think, you had better go by what I say I think. I have not said boycotting is evil. It is your right to be a totally repulsive, obnoxious, ill mannered, and disgusting tool too. But it doesn't mean that we should culturally tolerate that. But apparently understanding and relating to a point made isn't your strong suit?
    What exactly is it that you think I didn't understand? I simply said that it's the public's right to not do business with a certain business. Problem is?

  10. #210
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What exactly is it that you think I didn't understand? I simply said that it's the public's right to not do business with a certain business. Problem is?
    Reread what you wrote and you'll see what you said.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •