View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #181
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I have not been arguing against what CAN BE DONE. I am arguing for a principle. I want all who have any sense of justice and fair play and/or who value liberty and unalienable rights would see how evil it is and how destructive to liberty it is to presume to punish people for no other offense than they hold an opinion.
    I'm fully aware that you aren't arguing about "what can be done," as you've made this very clear.

    And as I've previously stated, I do understand where you are coming from, however I am a big proponent of the free market. Sure boycotts are destructive, but that's the intent. Some of them win, and some of them loose, just look at the results of the big Chick-fil-a boycott. In the end, Chick-fil-a actually benefitted from the backlash against Dan Cathy's donations and/ or remarks.


    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And I hope there are more who value individual liberty and unalienable rights than there are self righteous assholes who think they have the right to tell other people what they are required to think, believe, hope for in order to be allowed to live in peace.
    I think the point you are missing is that boycotting is a from of individual liberty, and people should be just as free to do that as they are are to simply express their opinions.

    Again, free market.

  2. #182
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    If you've ever read George Washington's list...almost everything in it could be considered political correctness for his day.


    George Washington's Rules of Civility and Decent Behavior @ Foundations Magazine
    No. That would be an Emily Post or Miss Manners rules of etiquette of his day, a very different animal from political correctness. In not a single one of that long list of rules for good manners does he express what anybody is supposed to speak or think about anything. He does offer some suggestions of how to be courteous when we do speak and how to be thoughtful and considerate of others.

    Being militantly anti-PC, which I am, is not license to be rude, cruel, hateful, insensitive, or presume moral superiority.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #183
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Thing is, he did a little more than openly express his "christian" views. He also donated millions of dollars to organizations that actively worked to further bigoted legislation. So for me, I figured that a portion of every dollar spent at the establishment went to these causes that I felt were not only harmful, but blatantly ignorant.

    That was the primary reason for me no longer patronizing Chick-fil-a



    I honestly think that sitting idle while others stomp over what you find to be important is un-American, standing silent is very un-American.
    I have no problem with you choosing who you will or will not do business with or the reasons that guide your choices.

    But I will continue having a huge problem if you assume the self-righteous right to organize a viscious attack on another person physically and/or materially for no other offense than a point of view that person holds. If you don't see how dictating what people are required to think, believe, express, or contribute to if they do not wish to be attacked is unAmerican, God help us all.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #184
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But I will continue having a huge problem if you assume the self-righteous right to organize a viscious attack on another person physically and/or materially for no other offense than a point of view that person holds.
    **Disclaimer, I disagree with violence of any form and don't think that people should physically attack someones person and or property.**

    That being said, in order for any boycott to work there must be more people to agree with the premise of said boycott and disagree. Again, it all falls under the principles of free market.

    Chick-fil-a being the perfect example, thousands of people (myself included) stopped patronizing their establishments, with the intent of causing them financial harm through peaceable methods. In the end, Chick-fil-a actually saw a boost in business and profitability through a backlash to the protests.

    The free market ruled that Chick-fil-a was stronger than the boycott.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 05-04-14 at 04:07 PM.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    False.

    There's plenty that people aren't offended by, things which used to cause a huge uproar.

    • Bi-Racial marriage, for example, is something that doesn't offend nearly as many people as it used to.
    • Being an atheist, or at the least having no acknowledgment of religion, is another example.



    Back in the good old days, both of these simple things caused great ire in the community. Was that then political correctness gone awry?

    It's not that political correctness as gone awry in recent years, it's that the definitions of what's acceptable has changed.
    Those are both valid points, and that is a really good thing and due to education and information being circulated, thankfully. However, there are always going to be dumbarses out there. There's really nothing that can be done about the truly ignorant or those who wish to remain ignorant in their views, and those people are always going to be saying something offensive, and then we will always have our groups of "offendees." It's kind of like a vicious circle that no one really ever wins.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    PC is NOT a way of society regulating itself. PC is a bunch of bullies, a minority at that, presuming to be the virtue police and FORCE others to be who and what that minority demands that they be or else that minority will punish them physically and/or materially. It is anti-liberty, anti-American, and it is wrong and it is evil.

    Unless there is a clear agreement within the social contract--conditions of a business license for instance--no business person should be forced to do business with or provide services for somebody or something that they believe to be morally or ethically wrong. And nobody should be forced to do business with that business owner for any reason. But the only ethical policy is a live and let live policy for both. So long as we are not violating the rights of anybody else, each person should be able to be who and what he/she is and make his/her own choices without fear that some angry group or mob will descend on them to punish them for having a wrong attitude or using a wrong word or uttering an unacceptable phrase.

    Unless we are all free to be who and what we are, short of violating anybody else's rights, there is no liberty at all and none of us have any rights at all.
    Well, I have to disagree. I think it kind of is a way for society to regulate itself and let people know acceptable versus unacceptable behavior. However, like I noted, it has turned into an ugly monster that people take advantage of for lawsuits and all kinds of ridiculous things.

  7. #187
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, I have to disagree. I think it kind of is a way for society to regulate itself and let people know acceptable versus unacceptable behavior. However, like I noted, it has turned into an ugly monster that people take advantage of for lawsuits and all kinds of ridiculous things.
    I have no problem with society regulating itself. Society MUST regulate itself in order to function in a way to recognize and protect everybody's unalienable rights and form a society that is the way the people choose to live.

    I have as much right to tell you that you (the rhetorical you) are a jerk because you said or did whatever as you have the right to do the same to me. I have a perfect right to shop elsewhere and to tell you that is why I am shopping elsewhere. But neither of us should ever have the right to organize an angry, self-righteous mob, that physically or materially attacks somebody for no other reason than we disagree with that person's point of view, belief, conviction or whatever.

    I don't know why so many here are having so much problem making a distinction between those two things. Or maybe they do not see a distinction. But if most people can't or won't see the difference, as I have said before, God help us all. Because the nation the Founders intended to give us is now dead and there is something very sinister and evil that has replaced it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #188
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Political Correctness seems to be a set of phony standards popularized for appearances sake or a form of accusatory hypocrisy. It's pretentious and goody goody in nature, making no allowances for human weakness and flaws or forgiveness, based on a restrictive morality not inline with freedom, equity or the law. It's an inflammatory and inflexible idealism of what a right society should be, based on perfectionist concepts, not a realistic view of what society can only be.

    True accountability and correction in our society is meant to allow the ability to learn from our mistakes and poor judgment. To gain insight and a change in attitude, not to crush the life out of the unfortunate and misguided. If there is no latitude in freedom of expression, then you end up with a narrow minded cult of people, instead of a culture of imaginative and innovative individuals driven by their own visions.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I have no problem with society regulating itself. Society MUST regulate itself in order to function in a way to recognize and protect everybody's unalienable rights and form a society that is the way the people choose to live.

    I have as much right to tell you that you (the rhetorical you) are a jerk because you said or did whatever as you have the right to do the same to me. I have a perfect right to shop elsewhere and to tell you that is why I am shopping elsewhere. But neither of us should ever have the right to organize an angry, self-righteous mob, that physically or materially attacks somebody for no other reason than we disagree with that person's point of view, belief, conviction or whatever.

    I don't know why so many here are having so much problem making a distinction between those two things. Or maybe they do not see a distinction. But if most people can't or won't see the difference, as I have said before, God help us all. Because the nation the Founders intended to give us is now dead and there is something very sinister and evil that has replaced it.
    I agree with a lot of this, but I don't think people are necessarily sinister and evil as much as they are just wrapped up in their own ideologies so much so that they overreact to a given situation.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Political Correctness seems to be a set of phony standards popularized for appearances sake or a form of accusatory hypocrisy. It's pretentious and goody goody in nature, making no allowances for human weakness and flaws or forgiveness, based on a restrictive morality not inline with freedom, equity or the law. It's an inflammatory and inflexible idealism of what a right society should be, based on perfectionist concepts, not a realistic view of what society can only be.

    True accountability and correction in our society is meant to allow the ability to learn from our mistakes and poor judgment. To gain insight and a change in attitude, not to crush the life out of the unfortunate and misguided. If there is no latitude in freedom of expression, then you end up with a narrow minded cult of people, instead of a culture of imaginative and innovative individuals driven by their own visions.
    Really, really good. Totally agree with that idea.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •