View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #161
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Vote and be heard.
    Or at least seen.

    Political correctness is simply one from of dogmatism, which differs in nature very little from any other. It is the consequence of group identity manifested through ideology.

    I tend to reject political correctness much as I would dogmatic libertarianism, religious fundamentalism, or any other ideology in which I am expected to join in some overt or subtle way and then conform to the dictates thereof.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #162
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's out of control. People are offended by every little thing is what I mean and will take advantage of the "feel sorry for me" groups. If people didn't make such a big deal out of such things, then they wouldn't be such problems.
    Society has always had downsides to rules of etiquette run amok, such as the fabled constrictive rules of 19th Century Victorian England that make for so many awful forbidden love stories. Society evolves new mores, life goes on. In twenty years we'll have new polite norms and we'll be bitching about those. But while we've created a fancy new term for it ("political correctness") let's not pretend that it's anything new, or that rules for polite society will never exist.

    Besides, there will always be places where you can speak your mind with impunity. Like DP, for example.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Society has always had downsides to rules of etiquette run amok, such as the fabled constrictive rules of 19th Century Victorian England that make for so many awful forbidden love stories. Society evolves new mores, life goes on. In twenty years we'll have new polite norms and we'll be bitching about those. But while we've created a fancy new term for it ("political correctness") let's not pretend that it's anything new, or that rules for polite society will never exist.

    Besides, there will always be places where you can speak your mind with impunity. Like DP, for example.
    Of course, I haven't been alive that long to know about any 19th Century Victorian England, but I can say that it seems like since I was a kid, things have changed drastically in regards to political correctness. It's ridiculous.

    I know these aren't typical, but they are some good examples of just how stupid this things can become.

    10 Ridiculous Cases of Political Correctness - Listverse

  4. #164
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course, I haven't been alive that long to know about any 19th Century Victorian England, but I can say that it seems like since I was a kid, things have changed drastically in regards to political correctness. It's ridiculous.

    I know these aren't typical, but they are some good examples of just how stupid this things can become.

    10 Ridiculous Cases of Political Correctness - Listverse
    May I assume that link goes to a list of examples of the rules of polite society run amok?

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    May I assume that link goes to a list of examples of the rules of polite society run amok?
    Read it. It's funny.

  6. #166
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Sure it's quite different, but I'm also quite sure that organizing is actually specifically covered by the Bill of Rights. If one insulted customer is able to garner enough support from the community, and actually enact some change based upon his/ her belief. . . I'd just call that the free market.
    My point, however, is not what is 'legal' to do. My point is what is honorable and ethical to do, what SHOULD be illegal to do for a people who values individual liberty over all other unalienable rights. We aren't talking about somebody who is violating anybody else's rights or is doing something detrimental or harmful for the community. We are talking about a person being able to think thoughts, hold opinions, believe what he believes without being physically and/or materially attacked for no other offense than that.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    My point, however, is not what is 'legal' to do. My point is what is honorable and ethical to do, what SHOULD be illegal to do for a people who values individual liberty over all other unalienable rights. We aren't talking about somebody who is violating anybody else's rights or is doing something detrimental or harmful for the community. We are talking about a person being able to think thoughts, hold opinions, believe what he believes without being physically and/or materially attacked for no other offense than that.
    That's kind of a good point. I'm not sure how I feel about someone's life and/or livelihood being destroyed over political correctness. But at the same time, that same sentiment holds true for both sides. Just as the business owner shouldn't be persecuted for his opinions, consumers are allowed to have their own opinions and choose to do business elsewhere, so the hurt is going to be inevitable because of our freedoms, so I guess PC is kind of a way of society regulating itself. I do agree that there are many instances where things are just grossly exaggerated and stupid though.

  8. #168
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's kind of a good point. I'm not sure how I feel about someone's life and/or livelihood being destroyed over political correctness. But at the same time, that same sentiment holds true for both sides. Just as the business owner shouldn't be persecuted for his opinions, consumers are allowed to have their own opinions and choose to do business elsewhere, so the hurt is going to be inevitable because of our freedoms, so I guess PC is kind of a way of society regulating itself. I do agree that there are many instances where things are just grossly exaggerated and stupid though.
    PC is NOT a way of society regulating itself. PC is a bunch of bullies, a minority at that, presuming to be the virtue police and FORCE others to be who and what that minority demands that they be or else that minority will punish them physically and/or materially. It is anti-liberty, anti-American, and it is wrong and it is evil.

    Unless there is a clear agreement within the social contract--conditions of a business license for instance--no business person should be forced to do business with or provide services for somebody or something that they believe to be morally or ethically wrong. And nobody should be forced to do business with that business owner for any reason. But the only ethical policy is a live and let live policy for both. So long as we are not violating the rights of anybody else, each person should be able to be who and what he/she is and make his/her own choices without fear that some angry group or mob will descend on them to punish them for having a wrong attitude or using a wrong word or uttering an unacceptable phrase.

    Unless we are all free to be who and what we are, short of violating anybody else's rights, there is no liberty at all and none of us have any rights at all.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #169
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It's out of control. People are offended by every little thing is what I mean and will take advantage of the "feel sorry for me" groups. If people didn't make such a big deal out of such things, then they wouldn't be such problems.
    False.

    There's plenty that people aren't offended by, things which used to cause a huge uproar.

    • Bi-Racial marriage, for example, is something that doesn't offend nearly as many people as it used to.
    • Being an atheist, or at the least having no acknowledgment of religion, is another example.



    Back in the good old days, both of these simple things caused great ire in the community. Was that then political correctness gone awry?

    It's not that political correctness as gone awry in recent years, it's that the definitions of what's acceptable has changed.

  10. #170
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    My point, however, is not what is 'legal' to do. My point is what is honorable and ethical to do, what SHOULD be illegal to do for a people who values individual liberty over all other unalienable rights. We aren't talking about somebody who is violating anybody else's rights or is doing something detrimental or harmful for the community. We are talking about a person being able to think thoughts, hold opinions, believe what he believes without being physically and/or materially attacked for no other offense than that.
    I suppose, and I can see your point.

    However, what you need to consider is the weight that some of those opinions carry. Sure, to some hotshot millionaire with a poor world view, his bigoted opinions are relatively harmless. Maybe he's not going to make a rule banning (insert demographic here) from his establishment. However, if one of the millions of people that look up to him gets wind of his opinion, they might be liable to act on it in a smaller, yet equally harmful way.

    Coming from a very privileged position, it's not always easy to see the harm in having powerful people simply express their opinions.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •