View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    You are missing the point. I don't want to make it illegal to express an opinion. I want to make it illegal to intentionally and physically/materially attack people for no other reason than they expressed an opinion. There is no right to express an opinion by firebombing or intentionally destroying a person's physical property or physically assaulting somebody. There should be no right to organize to destroy a person's livelihood and/or deny him right to his own property for no other reason than you disagree with that person's opinion.
    Expressing the opinion that someone should be fired to that person's employer or clients is not harming someone. If the employer or client then decides to fire or stop doing business with that person, it is the employer or client who caused the harm. The courts have settled the matter already, libel and slander are actionable, but expressing opinions and true facts is protected speech. Your proposed new crime would suppress speech more than the people who express the opinion that someone should be boycotted or fired. The solution to speech you don't like is encouraging more expression of opinions by more people, not to suppress speech.

  2. #142
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Expressing the opinion that someone should be fired to that person's employer or clients is not harming someone. If the employer or client then decides to fire or stop doing business with that person, it is the employer or client who caused the harm. The courts have settled the matter already, libel and slander are actionable, but expressing opinions and true facts is protected speech. Your proposed new crime would suppress speech more than the people who express the opinion that someone should be boycotted or fired. The solution to speech you don't like is encouraging more expression of opinions by more people, not to suppress speech.
    If I complain to a business owner that I or a member of my family or my friend was mistreated or served poorly that is one thing. For me to go organize a whole group or mob to demand that a person be fired, or threaten his advertisers or customers or suppliers, for no other reason than I don't like an opinion the person expressed that had absolutely nothing to do with me personally is something quite different.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #143
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If I complain to a business owner that I or a member of my family or my friend was mistreated or served poorly that is one thing. For me to go organize a whole group or mob to demand that a person be fired, or threaten his advertisers or customers or suppliers, for no other reason than I don't like an opinion the person expressed that had absolutely nothing to do with me personally is something quite different.
    Not really, and the business owner/board still has the right to make the final call on that. And threatening anybody's physical well-being is a crime.

  4. #144
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,947

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Other people have the right to say them.
    Yes, for now. But people are being forced from their jobs or forced to sell their business for expressing their beliefs isnt right.

  5. #145
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    'Political correctness', as everyone unbrainwashed knows, is rightwing bull****, a noise to signal their hatred of not being able to insult people. Why do we have to bother with this antiquated crap?

  6. #146
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,947

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    'Political correctness', as everyone unbrainwashed knows, is rightwing bull****, a noise to signal their hatred of not being able to insult people. Why do we have to bother with this antiquated crap?
    Yesss, because everybody is so sensitive that its better to tell lies about each other than saying what you really feel...

    Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"?

  7. #147
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Yesss, because everybody is so sensitive that its better to tell lies about each other than saying what you really feel...

    Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"?
    Bullying, mostly, and paying lower wages, charging higher rents, stuff like that, which the racist crap helped work. I am pissed off with being called a 'Celt' myself, as a prelude to being insulted and cheated.

  8. #148
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,287

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Of course the usual suspects voted NO.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #149
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Seriously, hold old are these people who think there shouldn't be any negative ramifications for expressing unpopular opinions? Wouldn't such stupidity render them essentially nonfunctional in the real world?

  10. #150
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Seriously, hold old are these people who think there shouldn't be any negative ramifications for expressing unpopular opinions? Wouldn't such stupidity render them essentially nonfunctional in the real world?
    Aye, ****in' Nazi thickoes!

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •