View Poll Results: Is there too much political correctness now?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its gotten out of hand

    70 78.65%
  • No, needs more bacon

    19 21.35%
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 242

Thread: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    This RW-er is just as offended at words like 'n*gger' and 'f*aggot' intended to insult or demean somebody as anybody else. I do not like to be around people who use such words, and, if the situation warrants it, I will tell them so. But that does not extrapolate to me organizing a protest or boycott intended to physically and/or materially harm somebody who uses such language.

    And THAT is the problem I have with political correctness. When it is used as an excuse to organize to harm somebody physically and/or materially, it is wrong. It is un-American. It is evil. And it should be condemned by all who value our unalienable right to be who and what we are, to think the thoughts that we think, to believe what we believe, to say what we think, with impunity so long as we do not violate anybody else's rights. And there is no right not to be offended. There should be a right to not be physically and/or materially harmed for who and what we are when we have not violated anybody else's rights.
    Are you saying that boycotts and protests should be banned?

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I live in a world where a Senate Majority leader was forced to relinquish his position for saying something entirely innocuous but deemed 'politically incorrect' when he was extemporaneously praising a colleague on that colleague's 100th birthday.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a radio talk show host who used the word 'slut' in reference to a Washington lobbyist.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to physically and financially hurt a guy who was asked a question about what he believed the Bible said and answered it honestly.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a CEO who expressed his defense of traditional marriage.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to get J.C. Penney to fire Ellen DeGeneres in their corporate advertising for no other reason than Ellen is gay.

    I live in a world where the PC police demanded that a Food Network star lose her position and livelihood for admitting that she used a single politically incorrect word in a deposition years before.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to financially damage a baker for not wanting to participate in a gay wedding.

    I could go on and on and on. But the fact is, that is what political correctness is. It denies people the ability to be who and what they are without fear that some mob will descend upon them to punish them physically and/or materially because they are not 'politically correct.'

    It is wrong. It is evil. And it should be condemned in all of our society.
    What physical punishment? Please provide specific examples.

    Why is it OK for those people to insult a group of people, but a group of people can't insult the insulter? Those who criticize bigots don't have the power to fire these people, their bosses did it.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Originally Posted by AlbqOwl
    I live in a world where a Senate Majority leader was forced to relinquish his position for saying something entirely innocuous but deemed 'politically incorrect' when he was extemporaneously praising a colleague on that colleague's 100th birthday.
    Actually he praised a man's Presidential run that was based on segregation.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a radio talk show host who used the word 'slut' in reference to a Washington lobbyist.
    Yes, there are consequences to being a large drug addict who picks on people over the airwaves who suggest they have an opinion he doesn't like.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to physically and financially hurt a guy who was asked a question about what he believed the Bible said and answered it honestly.
    Physically? Are you talking about the Duck show fraud? Really? He linked homosexuality to sex with animals. Again he was faced with the consequences.

    I live in a world where the PC police organized and did their damndest to financially hurt a CEO who expressed his defense of traditional marriage.
    Actually it was an attack on citizens looking for their access to equal rights.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to get J.C. Penney to fire Ellen DeGeneres in their corporate advertising for no other reason than Ellen is gay.
    Actually those were bigots.... like the guy above.

    I live in a world where the PC police demanded that a Food Network star lose her position and livelihood for admitting that she used a single politically incorrect word in a deposition years before.
    Actually nothing you wrote here is true.

    I live in a world where the PC police did their damndest to financially damage a baker for not wanting to participate in a gay wedding.
    No the baker violated the law and it was pointed out.

    I could go on and on and on. But the fact is, that is what political correctness is. It denies people the ability to be who and what they are without fear that some mob will descend upon them to punish them physically and/or materially because they are not 'politically correct.'
    You could because it you are simply making things up and you think societal norms are PC police.


    It is wrong. It is evil. And it should be condemned in all of our society.

  4. #94
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,204

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Political correctness at base, is about being self-aware enough not to go out of your way to be gratuitously insulting. It's about a more civil society, in the true sense of the word civil. That some people can't cope with that is a sad indictment of their society.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    People need to learn what the **** free speech is. This is getting really ****ing stupid. Free speech means you can say what you want, not that people won't judge you based on what you say. I have no clue as to how this is confusing to any one...

    How free is your speech if anything you say can be used to ruin your life? We arent talking about just not using racial slurs, it's to the point where you can't even make observations.

    What happened to the society where a person could speak their mind without fear of recrimination?

    It is one thing to disagree with someone, but to shun them out of their positions because someone is too much of a wuss to deal with other people?



    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Political correctness at base, is about being self-aware enough not to go out of your way to be gratuitously insulting. It's about a more civil society, in the true sense of the word civil. That some people can't cope with that is a sad indictment of their society.
    At its base, it's become something much more virulent.

  6. #96
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,522
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Are you saying that boycotts and protests should be banned?
    Yes, I am saying that protests and boycotts intended to hurt somebody physically and/or materially should be banned if that person is not guilty of infringing on anybody else's rights. This country was founded on a principle that we each have an unalienable right to be who or what we are so long as we require no participation or contribution by any other. Nobody should be pesonally threatened or violated for no other offense than they said something somebody else didn't like.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Just an observation from the Sterling fallout in the NBA, or CEO's resigning because they supported a political cause that was unpopular with the masses or the usual media fauxrage (Huffington Post headlines cough cough) that every time some politician (usually from the GOP) makes some sort of statement about gays or minorities or anything that the mainstream thinks is unacceptable and must be spread out across the internet so that outrage can pile on outrage. Is it getting out of hand or should it continue?

    Vote and be heard.
    I say absolutely it has gotten out of hand! Like a form of thought control.

  8. #98
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,948

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'd still like to know what people who rail against political correctness want to say, exactly.
    I have several issues against Political Correctness. Im going to be blunt so Im prepared to be accused of all sorts of things but here goes:

    Firstly, it presents a false illusion of reality by attempting to make everyone equal when it fact it can never happen. ie. a retard who is labeled "mentally challenged" doesnt make him any smarter. Or a dwarf who is labeled as "vertically challenged" doesnt make him any taller.

    Secondly, it is hypocritical in that it can be abused by some segments of the population such as when black people call each other the N-word is acceptable but when any other race utters it is akin to a warcrime and be labeled as racist.

    Thirdly, it forces people to hide their true feelings and covers the truth due to the fact that now when someone makes a statement that isnt in sync with popular thinking they are made to suffer civil penalties (the loss of one's job, massive fines, ejection from public gatherings, media harassment, etc.); how long till these civil penalties become criminal?

    Political correctness covers up the truth and fights intolerance with intolerance.

  9. #99
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Firstly, it presents a false illusion of reality by attempting to make everyone equal when it fact it can never happen. ie. a retard who is labeled "mentally challenged" doesnt make him any smarter. Or a dwarf who is labeled as "vertically challenged" doesnt make him any taller.
    False. There is no intention to "make people equal". The intention is to be considerate of other perspectives - not a big deal.

    Secondly, it is hypocritical in that it can be abused by some segments of the population such as when black people call each other the N-word is acceptable but when any other race utters it is akin to a warcrime and be labeled as racist.
    You don't understand that words can be used in different ways? Wow. How do you function in society without being able to differentiate different meanings from the same word?

    Thirdly, it forces people to hide their true feelings and covers the truth due to the fact that now when someone makes a statement that isnt in sync with popular thinking they are made to suffer civil penalties (the loss of one's job, massive fines, ejection from public gatherings, media harassment, etc.); how long till these civil penalties become criminal?
    We're all so sorry that you cannot say or do things free from criticism. It must be horrible to be held accountable for your words and actions.

    Political correctness covers up the truth and fights intolerance with intolerance.
    That's a depraved understanding of PC.

  10. #100
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Is There Too Much Political Correctness Now?

    To me there is PC and then there is PC. People calling others things like nig**r or f*g are nothing but hurtful to those with easily hurt feelings so I have no problem with there use being discouraged. But sometimes it goes to far. Take Washington State for example. They came up with a list of words banned from government use Words like fisherman and freshman. Those words must be replaced with the words fisher and and first year student. Any one who is insulted by being called a freshman just needs to grow up and develop some thicker skin. We also have the city of Seattle banning the words citizen and brown bag. I truly think some people go out of there way to look for ways to be offended. So yeah I think sometimes we take PC a bit to far

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •