View Poll Results: Was the punishment too harsh?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 67.44%
  • No

    42 32.56%
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 369

Thread: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'm asking how do you feel. Do you feel that employers should be able to make racist comments to workers simply because they are paying them?
    No, I don't think they should be able to. However, I think benefits of the doubt should be given to employers if the statement is borderline. There's a difference between telling a tasteless joke and "damn I hate coons".

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'm asking how do you feel. Do you feel that employers should be able to make racist comments to workers simply because they are paying them?
    Why not? Because it would hurt your feelings or inform you that your employer is a racist and it might be a good idea to look for other work?

  3. #303
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,690

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    First you say 'expressing an opinion is not what he did', then you say 'your opinion can then actively harm others', which one is it?

    I think what he said was contemptible and should have 'some' consequences. People can react, condemn and show their disapproval in a legal manner.

    But it was an expression of his opinion on a matter, not active discrimination. As distasteful as words of racism and bigotry are, if you make them out of bounds and you start censoring words and opinions, the list will grow and grow. There's a reason they don't limit free speech, because trying to use thought control never works out well. Naturally, you can't scream 'bomb' in an airport, disturb the peace or do other verbal escapades that lead to harmful action but that is enough.
    You are confusing the terms of a voluntary private contractual agreement with the gov't not respecting individual rights. These are entirely unrelated concepts. It is your right to say anything that you wish but not to expect that to be ignored by others, especially when it directly harms their business interests. The NBA is not locking him up, or even shutting him up, they are simply shunning him out the NBA for the benefit of the other owners, players, sponsors and fans.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #304
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,690

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't have a problem with anyone as long as it's not conscription or slavery. If you work for an employer and receive compensation in return, that's all that matters. If you don't like him, you can quit.

    {snip rest of post}
    That is not applicable to the NBA since the players are under contractual obligations to that team/owner which greatly limits their options. If a player does like not earning millions playing in the NBA then he can obviously quit and walk away, yet that player may not simply switch teams as would be the case for a burger flipper or a carpenter.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #305
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Yeah, it was late I didn't read that through.

    The bottom line here, it's my understanding, is he violated the bylaws of the league so there are legal grounds. Those kinds of guidelines for behavior were incorporated into the league bylaws for a reason. It seems you just don't think those reasons are good enough and my guess is reason that you don't think those reasons are good enough is because you've never been a victim of racism. Not in an overt way that actually interferes in your life.
    I've said my piece and made my point, I won't argue it ad nauseam.

    It's illegal to tape someone in California without their consent, so they have to legally prove he was aware of the recording. And those bylaws and constitution give the NBA Commissioner all kinds of latitude in interpretation and application. It's a private organization that can act in any way they want, within the law.

    Paragraph 35(A)(c), Silver can issue an indefinite suspension and a fine of $1 million to any owner who "makes ... a statement having or designed to have an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball."

    That's pretty damned vague. He could've said 'basketball sucks' and been charged under those rules.

    And don't preach too me about racism, because all of society suffers some form of discrimination at one time or another. Women, Latinos, Asians, poor people, even rich white men. You have no idea what I've gone thru in my life.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #306
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You are confusing the terms of a voluntary private contractual agreement with the gov't not respecting individual rights. These are entirely unrelated concepts. It is your right to say anything that you wish but not to expect that to be ignored by others, especially when it directly harms their business interests. The NBA is not locking him up, or even shutting him up, they are simply shunning him out the NBA for the benefit of the other owners, players, sponsors and fans.
    I'm not confusing anything. I know the difference between the government acting and a private institution. My warning is against the two, blurring the lines of reasonable behavior and legalities. What's accepted as an appropriate response by the NBA today, can easily be drafted into a Bill before Congress tomorrow.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    No, I don't think they should be able to. However, I think benefits of the doubt should be given to employers if the statement is borderline. There's a difference between telling a tasteless joke and "damn I hate coons".
    I understand. I just wanted to clear that up.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why not? Because it would hurt your feelings or inform you that your employer is a racist and it might be a good idea to look for other work?
    Why not is that I come from a part of the country were not too long ago, meaning up until the mid to late 60s, white people could indeed and did indeed say things like that to black workers and there was nothing done about it. Black people had to simply tolerate that type of abuse for years. So no, I don't want to see that type of behavior tolerated, because I don't want to have to go through that.

  9. #309
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Did the guy have a pattern of comments- like say those made by Mahatma Gandhi, or was this an isolated comment made to his girl friend in the course of a bad day?

    If it is a one time shot, I think they went way overboard.

  10. #310
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I've said my piece and made my point, I won't argue it ad nauseam.

    It's illegal to tape someone in California without their consent, so they have to legally prove he was aware of the recording. And those bylaws and constitution give the NBA Commissioner all kinds of latitude in interpretation and application. It's a private organization that can act in any way they want, within the law.

    Paragraph 35(A)(c), Silver can issue an indefinite suspension and a fine of $1 million to any owner who "makes ... a statement having or designed to have an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball."

    That's pretty damned vague. He could've said 'basketball sucks' and been charged under those rules.

    And don't preach too me about racism, because all of society suffers some form of discrimination at one time or another. Women, Latinos, Asians, poor people, even rich white men. You have no idea what I've gone thru in my life.
    Don't get pissy. I didn't claim to know, that's why I said "my guess". Leaving room for you inform me if I was incorrect. And I wasn't preaching. You Baby.

    Maybe it can be said just about everyone has suffered "some form of discrimination" but that's not really the point. If I get a splinter and you lose your arm is our pain on the same level? No. If you're a white dude these is not way you have endured racism on the same level as just about any black man or woman in this country.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •