View Poll Results: Was the punishment too harsh?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 67.44%
  • No

    42 32.56%
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 369

Thread: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

  1. #291
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    So you don't have a problem with people working for people who are racists? What if he didn't say it over the phone, but was talking to his girl in front of the players? What if the guy just started addressing the players directly as n*g*ers? Would you have a problem with any of that?
    I don't have a problem with anyone as long as it's not conscription or slavery. If you work for an employer and receive compensation in return, that's all that matters. If you don't like him, you can quit.

    That's my question to you. Is there a limit, in your mind, to the racist language that should be tolerated? Or should people be allowed to freely use racist language as they desire?
    That's subjective. If even a small amount is too much for you, then quit.

    I don't know what you are talking about. If it was a black owner that was talking to his girlfriend about whites, the same should apply.
    You're right. It "should".

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't have a problem with anyone as long as it's not conscription or slavery. If you work for an employer and receive compensation in return, that's all that matters. If you don't like him, you can quit.
    That's interesting. So you don't have a problem with people being psychologically abused at work?


    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That's subjective. If even a small amount is too much for you, then quit.
    Let's suppose we allow it, and the practice became pervasive such that practically everywhere you went to work was like that. You don't have a problem with people being psychologically abused, are treated as if they are low class at work?

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That's interesting. So you don't have a problem with people being psychologically abused at work?
    Psychologically abused. Ha. "Don't bring black people to my games" isn't emotionally crippling unless you're weak-willed. If that drives you over the edge, quit.

    Let's suppose we allow it, and the practice became pervasive such that practically everywhere you went to work was like that. You don't have a problem with people being psychologically abused, are treated as if they are low class at work?
    Okay, you are aware of the fact that this was a PRIVATE conversation made IN HIS HOME, right? You're making it sound like he went to the end of the bench with a whip at practices shouting, "work harder, spook".

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Psychologically abused. Ha. "Don't bring black people to my games" isn't emotionally crippling unless you're weak-willed. If that drives you over the edge, quit.

    Okay, you are aware of the fact that this was a PRIVATE conversation made IN HIS HOME, right? You're making it sound like he went to the end of the bench with a whip at practices shouting, "work harder, spook".
    What I'm trying to do is see is whether you think there should be any limits on the sort of racist language that an employer is allowed to say to an employee. It appears that you think it's fine that an employer use racist language against an employee as long as the employee is being paid. If that's the case, that is disturbing.

  6. #296
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Well I don't think they can just outright pull his ownership rights because from what Mark Cuban was saying since it doesn't involve gambling then that power isn't given to the League. However, I think Silver did the next best thing in his mind, which is why there was the ban.
    When push comes to shove Cuban will fall into line with his club. We will see what the vote is.


  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    What I'm trying to do is see is whether you think there should be any limits on the sort of racist language that an employer is allowed to say to an employee. It appears that you think it's fine that an employer use racist language against an employee as long as the employee is being paid. If that's the case, that is disturbing.
    HE DIDN'T SAY IT TO AN EMPLOYEE!

    Dammit, is this penetrating?

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    The way you know that you're a terrible person is if you laughed at that.

    I laughed.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    HE DIDN'T SAY IT TO AN EMPLOYEE!

    Dammit, is this penetrating?
    I'm asking how do you feel. Do you feel that employers should be able to make racist comments to workers simply because they are paying them?

  10. #300
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    First you say 'expressing an opinion is not what he did', then you say 'your opinion can then actively harm others', which one is it?

    I think what he said was contemptible and should have 'some' consequences. People can react, condemn and show their disapproval in a legal manner.

    But it was an expression of his opinion on a matter, not active discrimination. As distasteful as words of racism and bigotry are, if you make them out of bounds and you start censoring words and opinions, the list will grow and grow. There's a reason they don't limit free speech, because trying to use thought control never works out well. Naturally, you can't scream 'bomb' in an airport, disturb the peace or do other verbal escapades that lead to harmful action but that is enough.
    Yeah, it was late I didn't read that through.

    The bottom line here, it's my understanding, is he violated the bylaws of the league so there are legal grounds. Those kinds of guidelines for behavior were incorporated into the league bylaws for a reason. It seems you just don't think those reasons are good enough and my guess is reason that you don't think those reasons are good enough is because you've never been a victim of racism. Not in an overt way that actually interferes in your life.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •