View Poll Results: Was the punishment too harsh?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 67.44%
  • No

    42 32.56%
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 369

Thread: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

  1. #181
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I smell Sharpton and Jackson, they do things like that.
    Yes, because the guys who own and operate companies like Carmax and State Farm totally give two ****s what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (whose net worth are a fraction of theirs) think.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #182
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And yet you made this thread...

    Maybe we should tell you to shut up and get over it, the NBA can do as they choose.
    the only limit is that contained in the terms of the contract. I haven't read the contract but I expect Stirling has some really good attorneys and this could get messy

    I also find this reaction to be some self exorcism on the part of other owners who are falling over each other to kiss the ring of the PC god. Lots of those owners are equally odious assholes i suspect who want to pile on in order to divert attention away from some of their own issues



  3. #183
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Yes, because the guys who own and operate companies like Carmax and State Farm totally give two ****s what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (whose net worth are a fraction of theirs) think.
    Jackson was good at extorting millions from wealthy corporations like Coca Cola



  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And yet you made this thread...

    Maybe we should tell you to shut up and get over it, the NBA can do as they choose.
    The NBA can do what it chooses, but in this case they didn't. They buckled to a loudmouth minority population. They, and everyone else, needs to effectively tell them to go to hell.

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,345

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I don't like his racist remarks, but it looks like the leftwing thought-nazis won out again. Sieg Heil!!! Sieg Heil!! Let's round up the haters and shoot them all, throw them in gas chambers and them cook them in ovens. What's next, loyality oaths? Let's just become the USSR we destroyed and turn each other in to the Fatherland. Stupid ****s.
    Come on...don't you remember the words of GW Bush? "You are either with us or with the terrorists." He started this.


  6. #186
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The NBA can do what it chooses, but in this case they didn't. They buckled to a loudmouth minority population. They, and everyone else, needs to effectively tell them to go to hell.
    What "minority population"?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #187
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the only limit is that contained in the terms of the contract. I haven't read the contract but I expect Stirling has some really good attorneys and this could get messy

    I also find this reaction to be some self exorcism on the part of other owners who are falling over each other to kiss the ring of the PC god. Lots of those owners are equally odious assholes i suspect who want to pile on in order to divert attention away from some of their own issues
    From what I've read of the NBA Constitution is that the ban itself would most likely be upheld since it gives the Commissioner pretty broad powers. However, if the owners were to vote to revoke ownership then Sterling has a few arguments. First, the team is in good financial standing so that is not a reason to take the team away. Second, the team management has not shown racism, although there was a suit against Sterling by someone within the organization for it, but outside of that the team is clean. Third, there is no morals clause. I guess the League hasn't found it necessary to update that part of the Constitution, although I'd imagine they will think about it now.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  8. #188
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    From what I've read of the NBA Constitution is that the ban itself would most likely be upheld since it gives the Commissioner pretty broad powers. However, if the owners were to vote to revoke ownership then Sterling has a few arguments. First, the team is in good financial standing so that is not a reason to take the team away. Second, the team management has not shown racism, although there was a suit against Sterling by someone within the organization for it, but outside of that the team is clean. Third, there is no morals clause. I guess the League hasn't found it necessary to update that part of the Constitution, although I'd imagine they will think about it now.
    I think the commissioner would have a hard time preventing Sterling from buying a ticket and watching say a NY Knicks game in NYC. Pete Rose was banned from baseball but he can go as any box holder's guest. SO if someone has a box, its going to be hard to prevent him from inviting Sterling.

    that new commissioner looks like a piss ant-just saying………..



  9. #189
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I think the commissioner would have a hard time preventing Sterling from buying a ticket and watching say a NY Knicks game in NYC. Pete Rose was banned from baseball but he can go as any box holder's guest. SO if someone has a box, its going to be hard to prevent him from inviting Sterling.

    that new commissioner looks like a piss ant-just saying………..
    It is also possible in a year or two they reduce the ban or the scope of the ban.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  10. #190
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    re: Was Sterling's punishment too much? [W:359]

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    It is also possible in a year or two they reduce the ban or the scope of the ban.
    either voluntarily or after he files a huge counter law suit against them and drags some of the other owners and players' dirty laundry into the public



Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •