View Poll Results: Is being racist a right

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, being racist is your right

    85 93.41%
  • No, racism should be against the law

    6 6.59%
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 357

Thread: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    [QUOTE=Tralfamadore;1063229707]
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post

    If a co-worker tells me that he/she doesn't want to be associated with me, goes on a racist rant about me, tells me I shouldn't have my job, etc, etc - am I fascist moron for demanding a consequence? Or should my co-worker be able to saying anything, no matter how racist or discriminatory? What if my boss penalizes the individual? Is it just Nazi Germany at the point?
    All that aside, what about just being a racist?

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    I did not put words in your mouth and you are playing semantics now. No . . . I asked you 4-questions . . . you answered none. However, let's just say there is a big difference in saying anyone who thinks differently is a fascist and demanding punishment makes you a fascist moron. OK . . . huge difference, you win . . . now answer the questions. I'm just asking you to clear things up.

    Again, I find it ironic that you claim he is personally attacking you after you stated anyone demanding punishment is a fascist moron. Therefore, anyone in this thread who thinks demanding punishment was an option . . . is a moron. Now, I do believe there is a moron taking part in this conversation . . . I just won't say who I think it is.
    You did indeed put words in my mouth . I never said your opinion alone makes you a fascist, I did say wanting to punish others for their opinions makes you a fascist.

    Now, I do believe there is a fascist taking part in this conversation . . . I just won't say who I think it is

  3. #283
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    You can be racist all you want, but the NBA and the media also have the right to chastise you for it.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    There ARE consequences for being an asshole. If I know you (the rhetorical you) are an asshole, I am not going to choose to spend time with you, I might choose to not patronize your business, I am not going to work for you if I have any alternative, I am not going to hire you, and if you are already working for me and creating a toxic workplace for your coworkers, I will fire you.

    But you have a perfect right to be an asshole and I have no legitimate right whatsoever to choose to organize an angry organization or group or mob to physically and/or materially punish you for being an asshole. Even if part of your assholedom is being racist.
    If the NBA chose to do nothing and let this racist asshole have his way then their fan base may have decided to stop patronizing their business and that could cost them billions.
    How is this any different from a boss firing his employee for being a racist asshole and creating a toxic workplace?

  5. #285
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Has anyone explained how enforcement could even be a factor? Only, it seems somewhat remiss to speak of rights without any possibility of resistance and/or denial. I don't see that the OP is relevant to a discussion of rights, those entailing communication.

    The entire discussion makes no sense. At least so far as it relates to the OP. We might as well be debating the 'right' to dream.

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post

    All that aside, what about just being a racist?
    If the racist asshole is creating a toxic work place by expressing his racist assholeness, then the boss has every right to fire the racist asshole for that reason.
    This is pretty much what the NBA has done here, but it is really more like they have thrown a racist asshole out of their private club because he was a racist asshole and they didn't want to have a racist asshole as a member..
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 05-03-14 at 03:09 PM.

  7. #287
    Student Tralfamadore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Tar Heel State
    Last Seen
    05-13-17 @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    209

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    [QUOTE=sawyerloggingon;1063229984]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfamadore View Post

    All that aside, what about just being a racist?
    You're dodging my question. You said that one should be able to say whatever they want without consequence, and anyone who proposes a consequence for what someone said is a "fascist moron". Therefore, according to you, an employee of any business should be able to go on a racist tirade, make derogatory remarks to anyone they please, etc, etc, and not get fired? Right? Any employer who would choose to fire such person is a "fascist moron", right?

  8. #288
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,548
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    If the NBA chose to do nothing and let this racist asshole have his way then their fan base may have decided to stop patronizing their business and that could cost them billions.
    How is this any different from a boss firing his employee for being a racist asshole and creating a toxic workplace?
    I wasn't referring to Sterling when I wrote that, but I have said from the beginning that if Sterling broke NBA rules and there are consequences for that, then so be it. That is for him and his legal team to work out and is none of my business.

    But the fact that Sterling might be a complete bigot, racist, asshole in his personal life apparently had not translated to his relationships in his organization. It is how he conducted those relationships, policies--what he actually DID--that he should be judged on professionally. Not something he said in private to a girlfriend who taped it and made it public for whatever reason.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I wasn't referring to Sterling when I wrote that, but I have said from the beginning that if Sterling broke NBA rules and there are consequences for that, then so be it. That is for him and his legal team to work out and is none of my business.

    But the fact that Sterling might be a complete bigot, racist, asshole in his personal life apparently had not translated to his relationships in his organization. It is how he conducted those relationships, policies--what he actually DID--that he should be judged on professionally. Not something he said in private to a girlfriend who taped it and made it public for whatever reason.
    Once it was out ...it was out... It was no longer a privately held belief at that point ... and he didn't try to deny it. At that point it was a toxicity to the workplace that the NBA managed.
    The lesson to be learned here is that if someone is a racist asshole in a club that frowns on that mode of thinking ...they better keep it quietly under their hat.
    He would still be unknown as a racist asshole, to the other members of his club, if he never expressed it to another person.
    He made that mistake.
    Now he must suffer the consequences of that mistake.

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    In the case of Bundy... He was seeking and enjoying the support, from politically influential people, who were arguing his case for him to freeload off of public land.
    Then he revealed, quite voluntarily, that he was a racist asshole.
    Bundy should have known that it is not politically expedient for a politician to support someone, for any reason, who is a racist asshole.
    He made that mistake.
    Now he must suffer the consequences of that mistake.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •