View Poll Results: Is being racist a right

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, being racist is your right

    85 93.41%
  • No, racism should be against the law

    6 6.59%
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 357

Thread: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

  1. #231
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Depends what he means.

    If he means it "crosses a line" of what he believes to be ethically or morally reasonable, then he's well within his right to believe that it crosses a line to him.

    If he means it "crosses a line" of what is constitutionally or legally allowable, or that it crosses some kind of universal line of morality, then he's absolutely incorrect.

  2. #232
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Yes I said you libs in your fondest dreams would like to make racism illegal but as of now it is not and I never said it was.
    Which is, of course, a crock, but that's never stopped you before.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #233
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Ain't there already a similar thread on this subject? This could be a chip off the old crock.

  4. #234
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    HUH? One is thought the other is action. Apples oranges.
    Rights and freedoms are the same whether they are thought, actions or whatever. You cannot uphold one right to just turn around and deny another, simply because the other is an action instead of a thought/speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If you fear being drug over the coals for what you say then you fear to say what you think. Kinda like living in Cuba or Nazi Germany or the USSR. Is that really the America you want?
    Not really. The fear of an oppressive government coming to take me away and imprison me or kill me for my thoughts and expression is far greater than anything my fellow citizens can do to me under what we have here in the US. The differences between what the government can do and what other citizens can do in respons to the expression of your opinions are the apples and oranges in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I don't see the right to own a team listed in the constitution.
    Technically it is in there in the right to own property. But as I have always said a right to something does not constitute the requirement that someone gives it to you. So the right to own the team (or anything else ownable) is dependant upon the ability to obtain it. The right remains even if one cannot obtain it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I think my statement on this was perfectly clear and you are just pretending not to get it. Read it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon
    Condemning someone is one thing, calling for them to be punished is quite another. One is expressing your opinion while the other is demanding there be punishment for an opinion you disagree with.
    Key word: think. Just because it is clear to you and even to those with whom you converse and deal with regularly, does not mean it will be clear to everyone.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  5. #235
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    My opinion has never changed since the moment I formulated it.

    Prejudice is not a sin, discrimination is.

    I myself am prejudiced, but I never discriminate. Am I a wrong person? Do I deserve punishment?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  6. #236
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Technically it is in there in the right to own property. But as I have always said a right to something does not constitute the requirement that someone gives it to you. So the right to own the team (or anything else ownable) is dependant upon the ability to obtain it. The right remains even if one cannot obtain it.
    He is a franchise holder. True he may own the team but he doesn't own the NBA. That is the franchise name he made an agreement to own the team. It's like if a McDonald's owner decided to change the menu, alterthe color scheme and do things out side of the franchise agreement the corporate owner of the name can strip his title from the owner of the individual franchise. Since owning a team is only owning a name (you can't own the players) I think they can take it back. The constitution only says the government can't intervene.
    It's okay to be white

  7. #237
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    He is a franchise holder. True he may own the team but he doesn't own the NBA. That is the franchise name he made an agreement to own the team. It's like if a McDonald's owner decided to change the menu, alterthe color scheme and do things out side of the franchise agreement the corporate owner of the name can strip his title from the owner of the individual franchise. Since owning a team is only owning a name (you can't own the players) I think they can take it back. The constitution only says the government can't intervene.
    Even so his right to own it is still intact. Simply because he has entered into a contract and that contract has stipulations as to how his ownership can be revoked does not affect his rightto ownership. Additionally I believe that the government can actually interfere in the affairs of the various sports leagues as at least some are legal monopolies. But that is hazy recall, so I am quite willing to be corrected.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #238
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,876

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I think my statement on this was perfectly clear and you are just pretending not to get it. Read it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon
    Condemning someone is one thing, calling for them to be punished is quite another. One is expressing your opinion while the other is demanding there be punishment for an opinion you disagree with.
    Asking him to sell the team and paying a fine may be in their right, depending on the contract under which he purchased the team and entered the league, right? I don't know, never bought a team, but I have signed a few purchasing agreements and have been employed at various places, etc.
    The man is a racist, has a right to his racism and his opinion, and others have the right to agree or disagree with him.
    But just as many were called to boycott stores for not wishing a 'Merry Christmas', we have a right to boycott a franchise or anything that has to do with this man.
    Again, he has a right to free speech, and I am appalled about denying him his right. I also find it a bit strange that a racist like Ms Winfrey considers purchasing the team, and that other racists stand on 'the other side' making racist remarks far worse and offensive, and nobody finds fault.
    But we have to separate these issues. This man has a right to own a business, but perhaps not this one if the contract he signed stipulates otherwise.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,876

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Even so his right to own it is still intact. Simply because he has entered into a contract and that contract has stipulations as to how his ownership can be revoked does not affect his rightto ownership. Additionally I believe that the government can actually interfere in the affairs of the various sports leagues as at least some are legal monopolies. But that is hazy recall, so I am quite willing to be corrected.
    Didn't see this., promise.

  10. #240
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Is being racist a right?[W:343]

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I think the guy is well within his rights to be racist if he wants. I also don't believe he should be forced to sell his team (which he's said he won't do). From what I understand, the NBA has no by-laws that regulate the speech of any owner. The commissioner may have over stepped his bounds with the lifetime ban. Any lawyer worth his salt will most likely carve the NBA up on this. I have heard numerous legal analysts say (on ESPN radio) that while the NBA was right in doing what it did, the legal ramifications could get ugly IF Sterling decides to fight it. I'm interested to see if he does. IMO, the dude should be able to say whatever he feels like saying.

    He obviously doesn't allow it to affect his decisions with the team. He was the second NBA team owner in league history to have a black General Manager (Elgin Baylor), he just let a successful white coach's contract expire (Vinny Del Negro) and hired a black coach for this season (Doc Rivers), the majority of his team is black, he was nominated for an award from the NAACP, etc, etc. I say all that to show that the NBA, while having a recording of him saying racist things, has nothing else to use against him as far as proving his dealings with the team were of a racist nature. We'll see what the legal system does with it. It could get ugly if Sterling wants to fight.
    I rest my case:
    NBA Lacks the Authority To Force Donald Sterling To Sell the Clippers | FOX Sports on MSN

    The dude ain't selling and there's nothing they can do about it
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •